Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discussion on sexism

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

anewme wrote: »
    I reported the post in question which is the one deleted.

This is a feedback thread and as there are many posters excusing that post, that is the relevant point here in the feedback thread.

Has anyone excused it? I think near everyone has said it was at best in bad taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭banie01

This is a feedback thread and as there are many posters excusing that post, that is the relevant point here in the feedback thread.

Where was the post in question, the one you keep reposting despite its sexist and misogynistic tone, excused?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

But it was deleted? What more can you reasonably want?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

For the 4th time.

The issue is about sexism on boards.

The post referred to was deemed sexist and removed by mods. With the poster deleted.

Yet, there are people her on this thread denying it was sexist. So that means these people are unable/unwilling to identify obvious sexism.

That is very concerning and demonstrates there is a qualititative issue with the content.

To be perfectly honest it feels like you are the protagonist of sexism in this scenario now.

Wanting to use sex to shift the parameters of ALL discussions and repress opinions that mention sex in anyway.

This is fundamentally destructive to any open debate, sex is not going away ever, it will always remain a difference and it is an important component for to exclude it would be the start of dangerous discrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It was a disgusting post. To be honest I stopped reading the thread in question because of the atmosphere in there. It was pretty horrible. Not only the sexism but the horrible way they were spoken about.

Just want to be clear that in no way was I defending the post. I think people are just a bit defensive about being told what to say.

There is a delicate balance between removing offensive posts and moderating too much. Different people have different ideas of what is acceptable.

I don't think you should take people saying the moderation is ok currently with defending a disgusting post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

NOONE is excusing the post. The post was deleted and the poster banned.

I’d say there are some posters on this thread who wouldn’t have seen it only for one small detail. YOU keep on posting it.

I respectfully ask you to re read this thread then.

Posters are going out of their way to excuse/condone/play it down.

One asks what if it's TRUE?:rolleyes:

It's good that people actually have seem it though. Once deleted, it's gone and can look as if people are complaining about nothing. It's a real life example.

pwurple wrote: »
    No, this is just another pile on to silence the initial discussion.

It’s further proving my point tbh.

Anything you disagree with is trolling or a pile-on, and feedback threads should be locked after you've had your say.

Right, i think youve shown your hand pretty openly tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think everyone thinks the lasagne comment was rank and everyone would agree that the next person to use/repost such a phrase deserves the same treatment as the OG user of the phrase.

One asks what if it's TRUE?:rolleyes:

It's good that people actually have seem it though. Once deleted, it's gone and can look as if people are complaining about nothing. It's a real life example.
    Whose condoned it? Whose excused it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Deub

Your posts are not clear on what, in boards’ control, you are not happy about?

First, it was for an improvement on moderation without specifying what should be improved and now it is about some posters that would support a deleted post that you keep posting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I don’t see anyone trying to play it down. All I see is people saying it was dealt with by the mod/admin team on a 4 day weekend. And in a reasonable period of time.

You can’t expect the volunteers who support this site in a voluntary capacity to have a roster of who’s on call and also to have a backup on call to play devils advocate about any decisions made on a 24/7/365 basis. That’s just unrealistic.

You also can’t expect to think that a certain group of people with opinions like that are going to change their minds. The only way to do that is preapproved posting. Do you want to hand over money to pay mods to do that??

As a woman I didn’t take offence at the posts.
    I see that comment as talking about 2 people who are scamming a system that’s there to help those who have nothing. I don’t see it as a comment against all women.
    99nsr125 wrote: »
    Is that not directed at two people in particular not an entire group.

It could be more constructive but does potray the ire of how people feel by what the two did.

Criticism is not sexism but the wanting to be treated differently or preferentially because of your sex is.
    But just as there are differing opinions they are different reactions upon reading posts.

To me they're juvenile comments rather than misogynistic and sexist comments.
    But they had surgery to enhance their sexuality, how do you debate that and not talk about it. It's ridiculous

If genders were switched and it was todger enhancement everyone would be making comments about that too.

They are bodyparts that define the sexes, people are angry and thus ridicule for something foolishly done. The tribe as a whole (society) will always ridicule foolish actions, we are sanctioning poor behaviour to protect us all from future poor behaviour.
    Gatling wrote: »
    Several posters admitted they report posters who they believe may be breaching boundaries
    Not really no. Sexism to me is discrimination or being prejudiced against a person solely due to their sex. I don't see that in that comment. It's no more sexist than all the stuff that is said about Boris J's appearence or another who I'd rather not name, or any other skanger for that matter. It's nasty, not sexist. There have been cases before on fb were police will release heads shots of male criminals or wanted men that are on the run and their appearance will get slated in the comments section. It is not a gender thing.

Do I think it should be deleted? No. Should it be carded? Yes. Poster banned? Maybe.

Maybe you tell me why it is sexist in your opinion and we'll compare notes so to speak.
    What happens if it's true ?

Anyway I was refuting that it was a sexist comment directed at women specifically which it isn't.

These are the posts defending/excusing the post I was referring to.

The post was sexist but people are doing all types of gymnastics to say it isnt.

And the person complaining that people report posts breaching boundaries is there too.

Should people not report posts in breach of charter?

Posts like these are reasons why people believe there is a wider issue here that needs to be addressed.

pwurple wrote: »
    Thanks for this, and I hope that because I post late at night it’s understood that it suits me to do so at that time, and certainly is not that I expect a response there and then or even anytime over a holiday weekend.

I also appreciate the actions that were taken, a very good idea to remove that one entirely.

I continue to note in this thread itself, there is a post stating something like “but the thread was about tits” , which again reinforces that some people think that any thread whatsoever that mentions women (in this case about women breaking the current quarantine law) means it’s a free for all on women’s bodies.

*Snipped*

I'm sure I might have mentioned that somewhere but the thread centers on the breaking of quarantine to get breast enlargement is that more acceptable because it's semantics.

Semantics doesn't prove anything, it's just an alternative description designed to deflect.

A memorable example being George Michael being caught 'Cottaging' , or having his cock out, the former sounding far less crass than the latter but ultimately they are exactly the same thing

Because I am the same sex as those 2 chancers I should feel offended at the insults they received?

Jog on and find someone else to educate.

I honestly don't know what you are trying to achieve. The post was deleted in a rather timely manner.

It's a rotten post but you keep giving it attention , the same with the pig with lipstick comment.

These posters absolutely feed on attention and you are definitely providing it.

Report the post, don't engage with the poster and move on.

I don't know what you expect from voluntary moderators, they can't pre-approve every single post.

The posts that fall below standards are deleted it may not be immediate but they are deleted. Continually bringing them back up kinda defeats the purpose of them getting deleted.

Again, very good post

The post was sexist but people are doing all types of gymnastics to say it isnt.

And the person complaining that people report posts breaching boundaries is there too.

Posts like these are reasons why people believe there is a wider issue here that needs to be addressed.

Sorry anewme, but those posts all say they are comments about the two women in question. Not their entire gender. Just those two. That doesn’t sound like sexism to me. A sexist comment is a generalisation. Typical woman driver etc after someone (a woman) holds you up while trying to get home with a toddler shouting he needs to go to the toilet. That’s a generalisation. A specific comment about two specific women, while absolutely disgusting, is not the flagpole to hoist the sexist flag on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Not that I disagree with the sanctions take against those who breached the charter, do you think jumping up and down whenever someone makes a sexist comment is going to change the world. Life is too short to trying to right every wrong of every anon dimwit who makes those disparaging remarks on this discussion board. You’ll appreciate that when you get older where the real battles are.

Because I am the same sex as those 2 chancers I should feel offended at the insults they received?

Jog on and find someone else to educate.

Case in point.

One of the posters condoning and excusing toxic posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Case in point.

So what's your solution? Honestly now? Ban Strawberry Milkshake for not taking offense?

Sorry anewme, but those posts all say they are comments about the two women in question. Not their entire gender. Just those two. That doesn’t sound like sexism to me. A sexist comment is a generalisation. Typical woman driver etc after someone (a woman) holds you up while trying to get home with a toddler shouting he needs to go to the toilet. That’s a generalisation. A specific comment about two specific women, while absolutely disgusting, is not the flagpole to hoist the sexist flag on.

That's where we will have to disagree then.

I believe the post in question was sexist.

It was derogatory and used to demean the women because of their sex.

Usual way of insulting women by inferring they are sexually promiscuous.

• Advertisement

No, people have given the reasons as to why they think it wasn't sexist. None of those posts are defending what was originally posted, nor excusing it.

I asked you to suggest why you think it is sexist and you did not do so, as maybe you can change my mind.

But the post itself is not descriminating or being prejudicial to anyone based solely on their sex as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I think the issue at hand may actually be a far narrower one than you believe.

Your representation of those posts as excusing the post you keep repeating, or as defending it?
    Is disingenuous and dishonest.

If we take this thread as a straw poll of the issue at hand?
    You and pwurple are very much in a minority, the issue was dealt with by the mods.
    There has been no poster lamenting the deletion of the post or the ban issued.

You want to educate people?
    But are resorting to frankly hysterical nonsense.
    Did you listen to the annoying teachers?
    You seem to be deliberately trying to hit a hysterical feminism bingo?

Is there a drinking game or card the rest of the thread need to print to play along too?

Case in point.

They aren't condoning or excusing it. They are telling you to jog on due to the arrogance of suggesting people need 'education'.

And that’s your opinion. Same as Strawberry Milkshakes opinion is to take it as non sexist.

No one says it wasn’t a disgusting comment. It was crass, vulgar and rude. It was also dealt with.

If, as you say, it was the honest opinion of the poster, then their mind is not going to be changed, as it is the type of comment I’d expect from a. Neanderthal who has access to the internet.

Personally speaking, I think it was the comment of a troll. On a wind up.

Omackeral wrote: »
    So what's your solution? Honestly now? Ban Strawberry Milkshake for not taking offense?

This thread is for feedback.

There has been a denial that there is a problem.

Posts such as these indicate there is.

This thread is for feedback.

There has been a denial that there is a problem.

Posts such as these indicate there is.

Should posters be allowed to disagree with you on this

I think its the third time ive asked this

And that’s your opinion. Same as Strawberry Milkshakes opinion is to take it as non sexist.

No one says it wasn’t a disgusting comment. It was crass, vulgar and rude. It was also dealt with.

If, as you say, it was the honest opinion of the poster, then their mind is not going to be changed, as it is the type of comment I’d expect from a. Neanderthal who has access to the internet.

Personally speaking, I think it was the comment of a troll. On a wind up.

No, you've people saying it was ok because of the people involved. Strawberry Milkshake for example condones all insults. They dont think its insulting. They are fine with it.

And you've posters saying what if it's TRUE?

Are they neanderthal too ?

It was derogatory and used to demean the women because of their sex.

Usual way of insulting women by inferring they are sexually promiscuous.

No, it was to demean them because they flew half way across the world to get cosmetic surgery in the middle of a pandemic, when the country is in lockdown, then refused to quarantine resulting in them ending up in court, using taxpayers money to pay for their lawyer, then using the excuse that they need to look after their kids in order to get out of being sanctioned (kids didn't stop them going in the first place) and all this when they don't even work.

That's why it was said.. Not just because they are women. Ergo not sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I note you’ve spent over 6 hours posting on sexism on boards today. I completely disagree with the views taken against those two women. Which is based on their social class. And I think the criticism level is more a reflection of us Irish than of being sexist. I’m not here to tell anyone what to do but life is short every moment should be appreciated and give meaning. I hope you move on and find something joyful in the remainder of this long weekend. Posts will come and go and be lost in time.

• Advertisement

Agreed in relation to that thread.

But given the wider discussion about sexism being tolerated in general and the number of posters excusing it does indicate a tolerance to it, together with a reluctance and push back against calling it out.

I think the fact you hold the minority opinion here and see sexism as a broad problem in an otherwise egalitarian society is something you should reflect on.

They weren't criticsied for being women

They were criticised for breaking quarantine.

To have an optional operation who's recipients would always be female in gender, therefore female adjectives to criticise and ridicule were used.

If female adjectives weren't used there would have been a counter claim of sexism through misgendering the two women. There's no winning with belligerent people, they don't want to debate, they just want to beat down the other person.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement