Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good German-speaking films with Eng Subtitles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

released last year. friendship.

very very good. not well heard of over here yet as its not a classic like lola rennts or goodbye lenin. but i couldnt recommend it more.

btw its a comedy :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYIQcIyOxAo

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

also die welle (the wave) is very good too. Available in book too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbTkdqYivuw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

I watched Sonnenalle last night. It was very enjoyable and quite humorous at times. Maybe gives a little insight into the mind of a teenager growing up in the DDR.

I think the next film I watch will be Das Wunder Von Bern. Has anybody seem this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Maybe gives a little insight into the mind of a teenager growing up in the DDR.

Don't think so, most East Germans I know (and I know a lot, cos I'm living in the Eastern part of Germany) absolutely hate that film (including my husband, who's from the DDR)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I think the next film I watch will be Das Wunder Von Bern. Has anybody seem this one?

Decent film. Not much football in it. More about the family relationships husband/wife, father/son. Interesting look at post-war Germany though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The DVD will have subtitles
    True story apparently

Incredible how the Swiss built that tunnel and tram through the mountain

Apanachi wrote: »
    Don't think so, most East Germans I know (and I know a lot, cos I'm living in the Eastern part of Germany) absolutely hate that film (including my husband, who's from the DDR)

My missus is from Erfurt and grew up in DDR also.She pissed herself laughing at it

My missus is from Erfurt and grew up in DDR also.She pissed herself laughing at it

I thought is was OK myself, but then again, I grew up in Ireland and have no idea what life was like in the DDR (apart from what I've been told) so I have know idea how realistic it is (having said that, from what I've been told, growing up in East Berlin was totally different than growing up in other parts of the DDR (like Saxony where the hubby is from)

Then again, who know what's going on in the minds of any teenager regardless of where they grew up ;)

Did anyone watch "Inglorious Basterds" in English? AFAIK they speak a lot of German in it (only saw the German version so I'm not too sure)

would suggest looking at Keinohrhasen for a giggle.

Found it quite funny watching it with my OH

:eek: Arrrgghh I hated that film. One of the most unfunny and unromantic 'romantic comedies' I have seen in a long time. Drivel is not the word.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    :eek: Arrrgghh I hated that film. One of the most unfunny and unromantic 'romantic comedies' I have seen in a long time. Drivel is not the word.

Really? Each to their own I guess. I didn't think it was any worse than the American/UK rom coms I've seen.

From what I've read it's the 6th most successful German film at the box office and it's gonna be remade in America with Ben Afleck.

The second part was **** though, I'll agree there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

German cinematic classics:

Nosferatu Phantom der Nacht
    Berlin Alexanderplatz (Alfred Döblin) - a TV Film series dir by Rainer W.Fassbinder
    Die Blech Trommel
    Die Ehe der Maria Braun
    Fitzcarraldo
    Heimat
    Das Boot (TV series, forget the film version)

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

From what I've read it's the 6th most successful German film at the box office and it's gonna be remade in America with Ben Afleck.

Oh Christ...! As for disliking the second part - you'll be delighted to hear that, apparently, a third one is in the making. ;)

One of Til Schweiger's better movies would be Knockin' on Heaven's Door. Just found out it has English subtitles now - must get it for my other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

sweet lord, stay away from the "Blechtrommel" - we had to watch that movie in school, and I am still, 15 years later, struggling with their idea of eel fishing. Annoying little brat, Oscar Mazerath, as well.

Anyhoo...

For comedy value, try 'Traumschiff Surprise' or 'Der Schuh des Manitu'.

And for a bit of sobbing - the Sissi trilogy (not for boys, and not technically German either, but hey...).

I would stay away from watching English films dubbed in German though. It actually drives me mental when you can lip-read what they're saying in English, and then you hear the German over it. It's just annoying. You're better off watching actual German movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

My favorite German movie has to be Der Himmel uber Berlin (Wings of Desire) by Wim Wenders..World Class

Gegen Die Wand as mentioned earlier ist einfach klasse. Auf der anderen Seite (the Edge of Heaven) by the same director Fatih Akin is also a great movie.

Stroszek and Aguirre by Werner Herzog are also top class.

galah wrote: »
    sweet lord, stay away from the "Blechtrommel" - we had to watch that movie in school, and I am still, 15 years later, struggling with their idea of eel fishing. Annoying little brat, Oscar Mazerath, as well.
    Such a pity to see such a major film trivialised or dismissed, I don't think anyone ever died fishing for eels.

You do realise Oscar wasn't merely a brat, but a small manifestation of what has haunted Germany ever since.

Apart from ex DDR comedies, has there been any recommended documentaries/films on Ossie Neo-Nazis? I still vividly remember the Neu-Bundeslaender chants "Deutschland fuer Deutschen, Auslander raus".
    Sometimes, politics change but people do not?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Apart from ex DDR comedies, has there been any recommended documentaries/films on Ossie Neo-Nazis?

Are there any films on that topic? Could you recommend one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Such a pity to see such a major film trivialised or dismissed, I don't think anyone ever died fishing for eels.

You do realise Oscar wasn't merely a brat, but a small manifestation of what has haunted Germany ever since.

Oh believe me, I realise. Had to read the book, watch the movie, and go through every little scene in unbelievable detail in school. I just don't like it, the way I also don't like any of the WWII movies or most of what hollywood produces, now matter how acclaimed movies may be. My personal opinion. If anyone wants to sit through that movie, they're more than welcome....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

galah wrote: »
    Oh believe me, I realise. Had to read the book, watch the movie, and go through every little scene in unbelievable detail in school. I just don't like it

Kann ich verstehen. An Günter Grass scheiden sich bekanntlich die Geister...

peasant wrote: »
    Are there any films on that topic? Could you recommend one?

I would be interested to know if any films or TV drama documentaries have been made. I've only seen media reportings of events.

• Advertisement

I would be interested to know if any films or TV drama documentaries have been made. I've only seen media reportings of events.

There was an English language film, apparently based on a true story, which centred around neo-Nazi ganglife made back in the '90's. Might not be what you are looking for, but I saw it years ago and having the feeling it was an alright film. It was called The Infiltrator. Can't remember where specifically in Germany it was set.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

My appologies if this has been mentioned already but if your looking for an interesting German comedy I recommend ''Salami Aleikum'' remember watching it at Uni last semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Another good movie "Zugvögel - ... einmal nach Inari" - (Train Birds or Trains'n'Roses)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

The classic movie "Manta Manta" is on youtube with english undertitles:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mhermannsen

OMG, nobody mentioned Out of Rosenheim (Bahdad Cafe)?!? The clash between US and German attitudes and characters is fascinating. The most awesome funny film ever... imho :)

And BTW, while most US and UK films don't have German subtitles, most German DVDs (from Amazon.de) have the original .English soundtrack as option! So it's well worth having films sent from Germany.

Kind regards

Marion

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Orla_inka

A film that I loved in German was:

Der bewegte Mann with Til Schweiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Orla_inka

If you want to learn German a wonderful programme on television is "Sendung mit der Maus"

It is not only enjoyable for children. We used to watch it every Sunday at 11.30.

My favourite episode is: Das geteilte Auto.

Part one.

Part two.

Another one:
    How do you get the stripes in toothpaste?

Viel Spaß.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

OMG, nobody mentioned Out of Rosenheim (Bahdad Cafe)?!? The clash between US and German attitudes and characters is fascinating. The most awesome funny film ever... imho :)

Marion

Right, that is a funny film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Just watched Vampyr. Very little speaking but as a beginner it was nice to be able to understand almost everything. Also interesting because of it's age.

Advertisement