Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who's in Germany or planning to come over?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Thanks for the tips. Do you have any recommendations as to where I can find jobs in Hamburg or any particular companies that might have English speaking jobs and would be worth targeting.

There are loads of employment websites: Monster, JobScout24, turbojob, LinkedIn, XING, StepStone, and many more.

No company will hire you just because you speak English. There is no shortage of English-speakers around here. If you have the skills/qualifications/experience that a certain company needs then they may hire you even if you don't speak German. What kind of job are you looking for?
    As regards the integration language lessons, do any of the main language schools such as tandem and Goethe offer these? Also, do you have any indication as to how the integration language lessons compare to other non integration language lessons.

Many thanks

As far as I'm aware the Goethe-Institut does. I am not familiar with Tandem. Googling "integration course Hamburg" yields many results - check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

Soldie wrote: »

There are loads of employment websites: Monster, JobScout24, turbojob, LinkedIn, XING, StepStone, and many more.

No company will hire you just because you speak English. There is no shortage of English-speakers around here. If you have the skills/qualifications/experience that a certain company needs then they may hire you even if you don't speak German. What kind of job are you looking for?

As far as I'm aware the Goethe-Institut does. I am not familiar with Tandem. Googling "integration course Hamburg" yields many results - check them out.

Thanks Soldie for those employment websites. I will check them out. I have plenty business skills so hopefully I could find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

I'm moving over in the next 6 months. Not sure where just yet but been looking at Konstanz/Friedrichshafen or somewhere south.

Not fluent but have a good base. Considering quitting work and coming over for a month or 2 before searching so I'm better spoken.

I have a degree in IT management, and several IT qualifications so hopefully once the language isn't so much of a barrier I won't have too many problems!

Okay it's confirmed. Moving to Friedrichshafen, by lake Konstanz at the end of June/Start of July :)

Anyone living around this area?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Drakares wrote: »
    Okay it's confirmed. Moving to Friedrichshafen, by lake Konstanz at the end of June/Start of July :)

I'm from Dortmund, but I know, there is a nice bunch of people living in that area.

Wishing you all the best for the new job and the new home :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Lovely part of the world! Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My ex is from there , beautiful area :D

Cheers, folks

Looking forward to some LKW when I get there :D

Cheers, folks

Looking forward to some LKW when I get there :D

As in 'HGV'? 'Trucks'? ;)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    As in 'HGV'? 'Trucks'? ;)

I mean Leberkäse! :)

• Advertisement

I mean Leberkäse! :)

I know, what Leberkaese is, I'm German. Yummy stuff alright :)

But what does the 'W' stand for?

I know, what Leberkaese is, I'm German. Yummy stuff alright :)

But what does the 'W' stand for?

Wecken

Had to ask the missus. Apparently it's Swabian for broetchen

Wecken

Had to ask the missus. Apparently it's Swabian for broetchen

They have a funny dialect down there alright, but I like it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

All this talk of Leberkäse is making me hungry! I know exactly what to have for lunch now! Goes really well with a fried egg on top and some ketchup for the young one. Or a large slice of cheese in some bread roll.

Anyone around Frankfurt or near Mainz? Been here a year now but haven't met many Irish people. Mostly English and Americans and Polish....and Germans of course :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

I'm already hooked on the mighty Franzbrötchen. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Soldie wrote: »
    I'm already hooked on the mighty Franzbrötchen. :cool:

If you like the Franzbrötchen, then check out the zimt wuppis. Not as sugary but lots of cinnamon goodness. I think they are a speciality of Kamps bakery, so you probably won't find them elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 snorrie

Anyone around Frankfurt or near Mainz? Been here a year now but haven't met many Irish people. Mostly English and Americans and Polish....and Germans of course :)

I live just east of Frankfurt, been here about 7 or 8 years now. I haven't met many Irish people either. Have met one or two through an international group that meets on Monday evenings in Bornheim.

snorrie wrote: »
    I live just east of Frankfurt, been here about 7 or 8 years now. I haven't met many Irish people either. Have met one or two through an international group that meets on Monday evenings in Bornheim.

I work on the Kaiserstrasse so not a million miles away at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ehcor

Have you guys tried www.Toytowngermany.com? There are lots of meetups for different age groups and interests. It's obviously for all nationalities, but it's a good way to meet people and there are often Irish people in there somewhere.

Also, the Irish Business Network Frankfurt arrange different events once a month at Frohsinn, near the Zeil and that's all Irish. Check out their website, www.irishbusinessnetwork.de.

Then there's Waxys in Frankfurt, it's not your typical flatpack foreign Irish pub, it's much more homely and there always seems to be Irish people in there, give it a go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Anyone currently in Berlin?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Preusse wrote: »
    Anyone currently in Berlin?

Unfortunately yes...

Unfortunately, because of the humid air at the moment or other reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Preusse wrote: »
    Unfortunately, because of the humid air at the moment or other reasons?
    Unfortunately because I'd rather be home in Ireland (the humid air bugs me too, I miss my Irish Atlantic breeze)

I'm also not a city person, but lucikly I live just outside of city, so I only have to bear it here during the daytime, in the evenings I can go home to my nice quiet suburbian life ;)

Ah yes, I see. Luckily, my stay is only temporary for research purposes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

is the air in Berlin noticably more humid than Ireland, or is it just warm and humid or something along those lines?

I find Munich air to be too bloody dry. Hands are only recovering now somewhat from a serious problem with the dry winter air.
    I thankfully dont suffer from the Föhn which is the mysterious warm airflow from the alps that gives many folks headaches.

Has anyone noticed the crazy amount of Germans who have hayfever and Asthma compared to Ireland?
    I know barely anybody with asthma (i.e. only 1 person comes to mind who uses an inhaler) and when I came to germany I had to look up hayfever on the internet to see what the hell it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

is the air in Berlin noticably more humid than Ireland, or is it just warm and humid or something along those lines?

I find Munich air to be too bloody dry. Hands are only recovering now somewhat from a serious problem with the dry winter air.
    I thankfully dont suffer from the Föhn which is the mysterious warm airflow from the alps that gives many folks headaches.

Has anyone noticed the crazy amount of Germans who have hayfever and Asthma compared to Ireland?
    I know barely anybody with asthma (i.e. only 1 person comes to mind who uses an inhaler) and when I came to germany I had to look up hayfever on the internet to see what the hell it was!

I know one lad who never suffered until he came to Germany, birch trees which are on every street here are what is causing it for him.

jester77 wrote: »
    I know one lad who never suffered until he came to Germany, birch trees which are on every street here are what is causing it for him.

I don't have any problems with hay fewer, since I live in Ireland. Maybe it's the breeze from the sea, which makes the difference.

No sea shore near Dortmund, where I'm from, sometimes it was really awful, but when I went to Hamburg, Bremen or Rostock, it was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

I don't have any problems with hay fewer, since I live in Ireland. Maybe it's the breeze from the sea, which makes the difference.

No sea shore near Dortmund, where I'm from, sometimes it was really awful, but when I went to Hamburg, Bremen or Rostock, it was much better.
    Theres, comparitively speaking, shag all birch trees in ireland which seems to be the most aggressive trigger of hay fever on the continent.
    And, rain aparantly dampens down the effects of pollen in the air.....
    something which is in abundance in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Lucario

Shíte do people ahev bad hayfever over in Germany? :eek:

Going over in June to Bavaria and then traveling for a while and finally going up to Schleswig-Holstein. I've both hayfever and asthma so the dry weather could irritate the hell out of me :pac: Generally how's the weather so far? Hoping to get a slight tan while I'm there anyways haha

Advertisement