Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to learn Russian?

• 06-09-2014 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Privet vsem!

I'm currently trying to learn Russian. I understand the basics, introductions, tourist stuff, how to talk about hobbies and so on, but I really don't know where to go to next.

I have no idea how to go about continuing learning. I have a lot of Russian speaking friends who I practise with but sometimes I feel that I'm saying the same stuff over and over to them. Should I just pick certain topics and learn off all the related words? Or is it better to learn useful phrases? I'm really stuck at the moment!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vrusinov

Why don't you read some books? If you are into classics, there are a lot of great russian authors.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Kirby42

Do you mean should I go through the story with both English and Russian language versions? Would you say that this is an effective way to expand your knowledge and vocabulary, even if I am still at a beginners level?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭vrusinov

Hmm, maybe I misunderstood you - you said you have russian friends and can talk to them about hobbies and stuff. This is not beginner level.

But in any case - reading books will definitely expand your vocabulary. It won't help with pronunciation which might be tricky, but it should help you start talking with your friends about new topics.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Try the evening courses in Trinity College - very good:

http://www.tcd.ie/Russian/evening-courses/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

Kirby42 wrote: »
    Do you mean should I go through the story with both English and Russian language versions? Would you say that this is an effective way to expand your knowledge and vocabulary, even if I am still at a beginners level?

I think that might be a good idea. Actually did the same while learning English. My pocket book, which I've read about a million times, was Jerome K. Jerome "Three men in a boat". Hilarious! I knew Russian version word by word and that helped in the beginning of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 FandangoRanger

Reading books is a good idea but can be discouraging.

There's a fascinating, very short book that was actually written during the time of Stalin's Great Terror, called "Sofia Petrovna" by Lidiia Chukovskaia (also spelt Lidiya Chukovskaya). The book was hidden away for a long time after it was written and only later could be published. You can find it on Amazon in English and in Russian.

I would suggest that you first struggle through the Russian version and then read the English, chapter by chapter. Go back and re-read the Russian once you're clear as to what's going on. The book is short enough to not be overly daunting.

You can also watch Russian films on YouTube. For a good post-Soviet film there's "Брат" (Brother) and its sequel. There's a subtitled version floating around. "Вор" (Thief) is a good post-Soviet film that takes place after the war. I don't know if there's a subtitled version. Восток-Запад (East-West) was a Russian-French co-production.

"Ирония судьбы или с легким паром!" (The Irony of Fate) A Soviet comedy classic shown on TV every year during the Christmas season. "Москва слезам не верит" (Moscow Does Not Believe in Tears) is a more modern film of the Soviet period. Both Мосфильм and Ленфильм have their own YouTube channels, chock-a-block with offerings. There are loads of full-length Russian language and Soviet classic films on YouTube as well as TV programmes. Those should keep you busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sportloto86

"Ирония судьбы или с легким паром!" (The Irony of Fate) A Soviet comedy classic shown on TV every year during the Christmas season.

Ah, there's no New Years celebration without this movie. It's the original "Hangover" but with Russian soul and love story. Can't hold my tears when they read ballad about smoke-filled car near the end of second part.

С любимыми не расставайтесь!
    Всей кровью прорастайте в них,-
    И каждый раз навек прощайтесь!
    Когда уходите на миг.

Advertisement