Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer job in Germany for a first year uni student?

• 27-10-2012 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Just wondering - how difficult/easy would it be for a 1st year mathematics student to get a job in Germany over the summer? I got a B1 in higher level German, and have really started practicing it a lot since then - sharedtalk.com, reading newspapers auf Deutsch, and generally learning new vocab daily. I think by this summer I could have a decent level of proficiency, and would like to go to Germany.

However, this would cost money, and therefore a job would be necessary. It is common knowledge that Germany has a strong economy, but how difficult would it be for a practically unskilled, non native speaker to find a job? I am not picky - obviously I would prefer a job where I can speak with Germans regularly. But anything is fine.

Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,978 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

sdiff wrote: »
    Just wondering - how difficult/easy would it be for a 1st year mathematics student to get a job in Germany over the summer? I got a B1 in higher level German, and have really started practicing it a lot since then - sharedtalk.com, reading newspapers auf Deutsch, and generally learning new vocab daily. I think by this summer I could have a decent level of proficiency, and would like to go to Germany.

However, this would cost money, and therefore a job would be necessary. It is common knowledge that Germany has a strong economy, but how difficult would it be for a practically unskilled, non native speaker to find a job? I am not picky - obviously I would prefer a job where I can speak with Germans regularly. But anything is fine.

Many thanks in advance!

Generally speaking, very possible, although it will take a bit of searchign and footwork. It would also help to know what part of Germany we're talking about as the unemployment rate varies a lot. Also, while the langauge is a help, it's not essential in some cases. You will be at an advantage though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭sdiff

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Generally speaking, very possible, although it will take a bit of searchign and footwork. It would also help to know what part of Germany we're talking about as the unemployment rate varies a lot. Also, while the langauge is a help, it's not essential in some cases. You will be at an advantage though.

Any part of Germany is fine, so I guess where ever the work chances are best. Do you know of any websites where I could search or find further information?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭donadoni

Hi sdiff,

For a start, I'd try this web site. Get in contact with the users there. They are very helpful.
    [URL="chrome://newtabhttp//www.toytowngermany.com/jobs/"]chrome://newtabhttp//www.toytowngermany.com/jobs/[/URL]

There shouldn't be much of a problem getting a summer job in germany. Especially if you have some German and if you are not too picky.
    Best chances for all kinds of jobs are generally in the bigger cities like Berlin, Hamburg, Stuttgart, Cologne and especially Munich. The weather and quality of life is best down in Bavaria too. Rent is expensive though.
    Best place for going out and night life is Berlin without a shadow of a doubt.

donadoni wrote: »
    Hi sdiff,

For a start, I'd try this web site. Get in contact with the users there. They are very helpful.
    [URL]chrome://newtabhttp//www.toytowngermany.com/jobs/[/URL]

There shouldn't be much of a problem getting a summer job in germany. Especially if you have some German and if you are not too picky.
    Best chances for all kinds of jobs are generally in the bigger cities like Berlin, Hamburg, Stuttgart, Cologne and especially Munich. The weather and quality of life is best down in Bavaria too. Rent is expensive though.
    Best place for going out and night life is Berlin without a shadow of a doubt.
    Thanks for that, I'll take a look at that website. Just wondering - would it be possible to have a job arranged before actually going? I don't want to get off the plane and wander around hopelessly looking for a job

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Specifically for students there's a job office in the munich university that could be of help. Over the years it has been a great source of jobs for Irish students over for the summer.
    http://www.s-a.uni-muenchen.de/studierende/jobboerse/jobangebote/index.html

Seeing as you are landing over in late may early June you'll be over a month ahead of German students who only get their holidays at the end of July. That may work to your advantage.

Or contact some of the multinationals like Allianz, BMW, Munich re, siemens, eads(airbus, eurocopter), mtu(jet engines, and successor to the historic BMW aero engines) etc directly as they will always find positions for smart folks that are hot in computers or computational degrees in university. To get a job in advance that may be your best bet, but you would need to move now to get through the paperwork to have a place in the summer. The big companies should also be able to help with finding accomodation.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I'll take a look at that website. Just wondering - would it be possible to have a job arranged before actually going? I don't want to get off the plane and wander around hopelessly looking for a job

I am sure it is possible. The only thing I'd imagine you might have to do, is to go for an interview first.
    But there may also be agencies or something similar that arrange jobs. I'll have a look if I find something in relation to that on some German web sites. Give me a couple of hours and I'll get back to you here.

Specifically for students there's a job office in the munich university that could be of help. Over the years it has been a great source of jobs for Irish students over for the summer.
    http://www.s-a.uni-muenchen.de/studierende/jobboerse/jobangebote/index.html

Seeing as you are landing over in late may early June you'll be over a month ahead of German students who only get their holidays at the end of July. That may work to your advantage.

Or contact some of the multinationals like Allianz, BMW, Munich re, siemens, eads(airbus, eurocopter), mtu(jet engines, and successor to the historic BMW aero engines) etc directly as they will always find positions for smart folks that are hot in computers or computational degrees in university. To get a job in advance that may be your best bet, but you would need to move now to get through the paperwork to have a place in the summer. The big companies should also be able to help with finding accomodation.
    Very helpful, many thanks!

I should ask, though; how different is the Bavarian dialect from Hochdeutsch?

:) Don't worry about that. People will talk Hochdeutsch to you and will give there best that you'll understand them. If anyone doesn't, he's not worth talking to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

It's very different pronunciation wise and for a beginner a complete balls.

You will hear very little of it in the workplace in Munich though especially in the multinationals which have loads of north and east Germans working there. And obviously with so many non Germans about that's another whole section of society that will speak with you in either hoch deutsch or english.

Anyone of your age in Munich normally only speaks hoch deutsch so socially you'll not come across it. Only older folks speak it on a day to day basis in munich so in shops you might come across it or in dealings with the government or police.

Long and the short of it anyhow is that you could spend the summer here without meeting someone speaking it, or at least speaking with such a thick accent that you can't understand them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Almost everyone in Germany speaks English anyway, so the language should not be a barrier at all.

And there should be a few jobs around in the tourism industry, especially during the summer holidays.

• Advertisement

Probably not with the casual work, but always worth trying applying anyway.

If you do wind up in Berlin, keep an eye on this one:
    http://exbclassifieds.exberliner.net/index.php?kat_id=5&action=modAnzlist_anzlist&sid=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

Avoid Berlin as the east still has high level of unemployment nearly as high as Ireland.

Avoid Berlin as the east still has high level of unemployment nearly as high as Ireland.

Yeah, but that's because of the leftwinger/anarchists and the career dole-spongers who arent even looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

If you're stuck, you could always try here:

http://www.odenwald-fruechte.de/kontakt.

Irish students worked there for years - don't know if they still do.

They provide basic accommodationa and the work is not the easiest, but it's not slave labour either.

I'm not saying the place is perfect by any means, but it might do for a while......

Advertisement