Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

proof of your german capability

Options
  • 17-08-2010 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hey,
    I'm looking for some sort of exam or something that I can put on my CV which shows I have a certain level of German on me. (I usually put "studying german" under my interests...but I feel like a real muppet doing that) :o

I think the ilac centre have some sort of link with something like this, but when I asked them, they said they had nothing really to do with it, & when they gave me a website, it seemed like the exam was in the UK.

I know I'm a bit vague on this, but in a rush now.
    Still, any info is greatly appreciated.

Vielen Dank!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

Goethe Institute, Dublin http://www.goethe.de/ins/ie/dub/enindex.htm

Examinations: http://www.goethe.de/ins/ie/dub/lrn/prf/enindex.htm

In 2011 the examinations of the Goethe-Institut Irland will take place as follows:

24 January - 27 January 2011 (registration deadline 01/12/2010)
    07 June - 17 June 2011 (registration deadline 01/04/2011)

Language Office: http://www.goethe.de/ins/ie/dub/lrn/skb/enindex.htm

You can contact these people yourself and ask if one sits the exam in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Thanks John C :),

would this be the best thing to have on a cv, in your opinion?
    It looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Jay1989 wrote: »

It looks great!

It's definitely the best you'll get in Ireland anyway and is recognised worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

Jay1989 wrote: »

It looks great!
    A question about a Curriculum Vitae is always subjective. It varies with
    - the job being applied for; is German used in this job?
    - how many other qualifications the applicant has.
    Imaginary scenario. The company Germo has one vacancy. Only requirement is leaving cert. Mr. Schmidt shortlists four persons for interview. He reduces to five applicants and needs a tie breaker. Mr. Schmidt could put the applicant with German on the interview list.

This is all tentative. These scenarios seldom happen in real life. Ten applicants could have a qualification in German. Then it is not a tie breaker.

In my case I have the "Deutsches Sprachdiplom" from the Goethe Institut. It was on my "Lebenslauf = CV" in the line Other.
    I use past tense as I have not sent out a Lebenslauf in years

I know nothing about your situation thus I cannot be more specific.

In conclusion I say yes put any qualification including German you have on your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭John368

JAy 1989

Can I ask you if you have any formal training in German, or is it just something you have picked up while in German?

I worked in Germany as a student years ago and have always wanted to learn German properly, so I took up an evening course in German three years ago. I know a fair amount, but have never been tested in it. Might consider doing this Goethe exam if only to show to my friends that I am not messing around learning German.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I got some sort of certification after a German evening course a few years ago.
    It was internationally recognised but much cheaper than going through Goethe.
    Heres their website, http://www.osd.at/ The school was BIFE in Bray but exams were conducted in various centres AFAIK.

Advertisement