Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Better off selling privately. You will rarely get anywhere near it's true value from trying to swap it for a car of equal or less value especially from a dealer who will want to make a profit on any deal done even if both cars had the same market value.

When selling it privately you could mention that you might consider trading it for a Golf in the advert. It might appeal to someone looking to change their Golf for a 320d.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Any idea how long it takes a change of ownership to go through, bought a car from a dealer over a week ago and it still hasnt changed on motortax.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Bought one a few Fridays ago. Everything arrived in the post the following Tues or Wednesday. Main dealer though. So 2-3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Vicxas wrote: »
    Any idea how long it takes a change of ownership to go through, bought a car from a dealer over a week ago and it still hasnt changed on motortax.ie

They should be able to do it online in that case it should show the next day.

I’d ring them incase they forgot .

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

Hi guys

Have roughly 20k budget and was thinking of one of these 520 and a6. Can anyone see any red flags?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27629171

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27757847

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27643073

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I don’t like the 3rd seller, few little annoyances
    Putting a car up for sale with illegal number plates
    Having no regard for the previous owner and showing sales invoice with their details on it
    Fake backgrounds in the pictures

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I don’t like the 3rd seller, few little annoyances
    Putting a car up for sale with illegal number plates
    Having no regard for the previous owner and showing sales invoice with their details on it
    Fake backgrounds in the pictures

Only the who’s who have fake backgrounds now...

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

shygal wrote: »
    Hi guys

Have roughly 20k budget and was thinking of one of these 520 and a6. Can anyone see any red flags?

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27629171

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27757847

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/27643073

Out of those 3 id go for the 2nd...

There are alot of chip marks on the front bumper of that 3rd car.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭shygal

blueskys wrote: »
    Out of those 3 id go for the 2nd...

Would you? The exterior shows cream leather but interior show’s black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 NEWBIEGRL8

Hi there I currently have a 2015 Vauxhall Insignia with only 58klm on clock, I’m the second owner and bought the car back in 2018, however due to having hip surgery it’s no longer suitable plus the the lip on the boot is a nightmare to get buggies in/out and the suspension is too low and I’m looking for a higher up SUV

I have a budget of €10k max and I’d be happy with a 2016 low mileage good spec suv.
    The 2016 Hyundai Tucson looks nice and roomy with a good spec but is there any other alternatives I should consider and is there anything I should look out for ( trouble wise) on any of the 2016 SUV’s
    The Volvo XC60 looks nice but expensive.
    The dealers I’ve rang are not giving me a great deal on my car even though it’s in brilliant condition and genuinely low mileage with full service history.
    Should I be looking up north for a better deal?
    Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

NEWBIEGRL8 wrote: »
    Hi there I currently have a 2015 Vauxhall Insignia with only 58klm on clock, I’m the second owner and bought the car back in 2018, however due to having hip surgery it’s no longer suitable plus the the lip on the boot is a nightmare to get buggies in/out and the suspension is too low and I’m looking for a higher up SUV

I have a budget of €10k max and I’d be happy with a 2016 low mileage good spec suv.
    The 2016 Hyundai Tucson looks nice and roomy with a good spec but is there any other alternatives I should consider and is there anything I should look out for ( trouble wise) on any of the 2016 SUV’s
    The Volvo XC60 looks nice but expensive.
    The dealers I’ve rang are not giving me a great deal on my car even though it’s in brilliant condition and genuinely low mileage with full service history.
    Should I be looking up north for a better deal?
    Any advice appreciated.

If you insist on trading in your car, the offers you get up North will be worse than the ones dealers in Ireland give you

If you want a good deal you’ll need to sell privately unfortunately. Maybe try ZuCar see how much they offer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Hi there,

Having a look at 2 cars at one of my local dealers and was wondering if anyone on here drives either, any red flags etc??

Thanks in advance

https://www.moores.ie/used-cars/toyota-plus-ireland/a0Z6700000bBGci?Toyota/C-HR/Co.%20Carlow

https://www.moores.ie/used-cars/toyota-plus-ireland/a0Z6700000bBCEP?HONDA/CIVIC/Co.%20Carlow

Nothing jumping out with me, even though they’re expensive I think the CHR is the better buy, if you can live with the size of the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭jfh

i have been half looking for Jimny's but over priced & for some reason they all seem to have a lot of previous owners, so changing tact.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/land-rover-freelander-2-auto-std4-2008/27167413
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-rav-4-2009/27869336

anything stand out with these that i should watch out for?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Edit: Never mind - car gone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ztoical wrote: »
    Hi All, would appreciate any thoughts on this car:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2005-mini-cooper/27511370

N/A

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

7 owners in the first one. Seems to have some service history which ended in 2019. I’d wager most of the owners have been added since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 suanhigh

Hi All,

I bought a golf from a dealer through donedeal but it came with no warranty.(my mechanic said not to bother with the warranty...)

A few niggly things went wrong with it at the start ...the heater, lights etc but now after 6 months and less than 500 miles the engine has done itself in on the motorway!
    I got it checked by two mechanics and they both said the engine needs to be replaced.
    I called the dealer and he said they are trying to find an engine for me but no mention of who will fit it and who pays the cost.

I think technically the dealer can just tell me to get lost if i fight my corner about fitting the engine but to me he sold me a car that was not fit for purpose.

Anyone have any success in the past in a similar situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭User1998

What year was the car and how much did it cost? 6 months is a long time

suanhigh wrote: »
    Hi All,

I bought a golf from a dealer through donedeal but it came with no warranty.(my mechanic said not to bother with the warranty...)

A few niggly things went wrong with it at the start ...the heater, lights etc but now after 6 months and less than 500 miles the engine has done itself in on the motorway!
    I got it checked by two mechanics and they both said the engine needs to be replaced.
    I called the dealer and he said they are trying to find an engine for me but no mention of who will fit it and who pays the cost.

I think technically the dealer can just tell me to get lost if i fight my corner about fitting the engine but to me he sold me a car that was not fit for purpose.

Anyone have any success in the past in a similar situation?

You might want to consider changing mechanics too if they are giving that advice.

And you need to clarify with the dealer who is footing the bill for the replacement engine first before they do anything rather than waiting until you arrive to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i'm currently having a bit of jip with a 2nd dealer

the car has an electrical fault - ecu related, it's been away for repair for over three weeks now..and its still not fixed

the thing is its out of warranty at the end of the week, should i just demand a full refund now! before the warranty runs out or does that mean anything anyway?

As long as the fault is identified while the warranty is valid then you’re ok

you mean, i can still seek a refund after the warranty runs out?

Your warranty is in addition to your consumer rights.
    Refund and warranty are unrelated as such.

so is there a time limit on my consumer rights?

My understanding is that it’s a bit vague.

With a warranty, usually when the fault is identified and is covered then it’s fixed. If the warranty expires while this is in process then it isn’t affected by that.

You can’t just return a car because it had an issue though. It’s up to the seller to offer you a refund repair or replacement. You don’t get to choose which.

Enforcing your rights is the hard part. You can do small claims process if it’s under €2k, or take other legal action for bigger amounts. This involves solicitors etc and even if you get a judgement, there’s still no guarantee that you will actually get a payout.

re:small claims court - i was told in another forum that the key phrase is "not fit for purpose" if said product purchased is proven to be faulty then the consumer is entitled to a full refund no questions asked, and i think that's the case in my scenario

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    re:small claims court - i was told in another forum that the key phrase is "not fit for purpose" if said product purchased is proven to be faulty then the consumer is entitled to a full refund no questions asked, and i think that's the case in my scenario

Not fit for purpose would be where you were mid-sold a product to do a specific job, say you went to a shop and asked for a drill for putting holes in concrete, they sold you a non-hammer drill. That would be not fit for purpose.
    A faulty item and one not fit for purpose aren’t the same thing. The place is full of “Sale of Goods Act lawyers” who have no idea how consumer law works.

Advertisement