Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Easily the worst morning I can remember for a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Short term memory? Been rubbish but I wouldn't call it 2012 or 2015 levels.

I would call this morning a typical morning in early June 2012. Absolute crap!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I would call this morning a typical morning in early June 2012. Absolute crap!

June 2012....my wettest month on record! What a month. 242.4mm.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    June 2012....my wettest month on record! What a month. 242.4mm.

That's not going to happen again is it?

Please tell me that there is some change predicted!

lawred2 wrote: »
    That's not going to happen again is it?

Please tell me that there is some change predicted!

Some similarities with June 2012 but I wouldn’t say it’ll be as bad as that was. Second week of June 2013 is another time that I found comparable to now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Dismal
    And what’s worse is the rain looks like it’s going to pivot much further west than originally forecast and remain over us all day FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

Miserable as it is, I’m glad to see some rain. The council has already been advising us to conserve water usage, as water tables haven’t recovered significantly since last summer. A wet June and warm July and August- I’ll take that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Torrential rain here in Dublin + currently 10 degrees with a high of 12 degrees expected. You can't beat an Irish summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭francie81

Thank god I have one more week of this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DRY out here! we had this y;day. Your turn now!

It is only rain!

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Dismal
    And what’s worse is the rain looks like it’s going to pivot much further west than originally forecast and remain over us all day FFS

The met eireann rainfall forecast sequence seems to be based on the old forecast
    Showing as dry here all day and now
    It’s pissing

screamer wrote: »
    Miserable as it is, I’m glad to see some rain. The council has already been advising us to conserve water usage, as water tables haven’t recovered significantly since last summer. A wet June and warm July and August- I’ll take that, thanks

Agree totally. The difference to my garden is amazing after the rain. Well worth it

Graces7 wrote: »
    Agree totally. The difference to my garden is amazing after the rain. Well worth it

Exactly, water table in the midwest was diminishing to a critical point until last week. An interval of steady rainfall is welcome to offset the balance, and allow for a prolonged dry spell later on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

absolutely horrendous morning here, heating and lights on. Lots of surface water.

Was watching gavs weather yesterday and he is already talking about the possibility that this June could be similar to June 2012 in terms of northern blocking and hinting that this cool+unsettled spell could last for weeks. The one thing that's locked in right now is the next 7 to 10 days look terrible, after that we just have to hope that the models and weather improve in time for July and August.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,059 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Holding dry here in Castlebar .... for the moment

Exactly, water table in the midwest was diminishing to a critical point until last week. An interval of steady rainfall is welcome to offset the balance, and allow for a prolonged dry spell later on.

And what if it's just the start of a three month prolonged wet spell?

If we were sure of a warm and dry July and August sure I doubt anyone would care too much about the recent weather..

Gonzo wrote: »
    absolutely horrendous morning here, heating and lights on. Lots of surface water.

Was watching gavs weather yesterday and he is already talking about the possibility that this June could be similar to June 2012 in terms of northern blocking and hinting that this cool+unsettled spell could last for weeks
    . The one thing that's locked in right now is the next 7 to 10 days look terrible, after that we just have to hope that the models and weather improve in time for July and August.

vomit

The rainfall warning issued only a few hours ago and the morning forecast already look wrong
    Clearing to showers with clear spells in connacht and Munster by afternoon ???????
    I don’t think so

And what if it's just the start of a three month prolonged wet spell?

If we were sure of a warm and dry July and August sure I doubt anyone would care too much about the recent weather..

A bad case of the "what ifs"...

if that happens we will cope and as bravely, competently and cheerfully as we always do.

The weather does as the weather does.. we adapt .

vomit

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Need I say anymore....

km79 wrote: »
    The rainfall warning issued only a few hours ago and the morning forecast already look wrong
    Clearing to showers with clear spells in connacht and Munster by afternoon ???????
    I don’t think so

so far not a drop or drip of rain out here.. west mayo offshore

reading this?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/status-yellow-rainfall-warning-in-place-for-11-counties-928576.html

Less than we had the last days. :

Forecast vs reality

wind getting restless now. still dry.. west mayo

A bad case of the "what ifs"...

if that happens we will cope and as bravely, competently and cheerfully as we always do.

The weather does as the weather does.. we adapt .

oh I know that - but saying you're ok with today's weather because of the water table in advance of dry weather is by Irish standards very presumptuous..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

After Mays 80mm in Markree v 49mm in Sligo

June is again ahead at Markree 9mm v 6mm Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

rain finally stopped in Cork City for now, wind has picked up though and its fairly chilly out there

oh I know that - but saying you're ok with today's weather because of the water table in advance of dry weather is by Irish standards very presumptuous..

:confused: No idea what you just said...

All we are saying ( and I am not alone in this) is that we need rain desperately. Hence OK with whatever comes. OK anyways :)

All we are saying ( and I am not alone in this) is that we need rain desperately. Hence OK with whatever comes. OK anyways :)

He said that he interpreted the post as saying we're expecting a prolonged dry spell after this wet weather (so completely ok with the fact it's raining now in case of drought concerns if we were to have the dry spell) which one should not assume in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Might have been a clunkily constructed sentence but not that hard to understand..

If hot dry weather was on the horizon then I could understand statements of concern about refilling water reserves or the water table... but as it is there is as much chance of a wet summer as there is warm dry weather.

So I don't really see the truly desperate national need for rain.

Advertisement