Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017/18 Off Season Thread

• 02-11-2017 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Another World Series in the books means another off season starts so here’s a thread for all the hot stove news/gossip etc.

Some dates to be aware of:

11-13 November - General Managers meeting
    10-14 December - Winter meetings
    13-14 February - Pitchers and catchers report
    1-2 March - Spring Training games start
    29 March - Opening Day..!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

My wish list for the Mets in no particular order

1. New 4/5 starting pitcher. Need a reliable arm who can eat some innings
    2. Bolster the Bullpen
    3. New Third Baseman. Need to face reality. David Wright is not coming back
    4. One new outfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Opening day is on a Thursday next year which kind of sucks for travelling to games.

• Looking to go to California as part of my honeymoon next summer, but I look to arrive the day before the All Star Break.
    The Dodgers are playing the Angels at home on the night that we arrive.
    Not sure how awake I'll be for driving from Orange County to Dodger Stadium and back that night, and definitely can't imagine that the missus will have any interest in going with me

Totally going to buy tickets though :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Looking to go to California as part of my honeymoon next summer, but I look to arrive the day before the All Star Break.
    Not sure how awake I'll be for driving from Orange County to Dodger Stadium and back that night, and definitely can't imagine that the missus will have any interest in going with me

As I managed to convince my wife to go to a minor league game on our honeymoon, anything is possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Angels sign OF Justin Upton to a new 5 year deal worth $106 million through 2022

• Advertisement

Looking to go to California as part of my honeymoon next summer, but I look to arrive the day before the All Star Break.

Could work out - just don't underestimate how long it would take to drive from OC to Dodger Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

ShyMets wrote: »

[*]New Third Baseman. Need to face reality. David Wright is not coming
    back

Mets have any decent prospects? Josh Donaldson I think will be in a different uniform next season if the right offer comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017-18-top-50-mlb-free-agents-with-predictions.html

Good article on the top 50 free agents and where they might end up.
    Going to be interesting to see where Stanton and Otani end up too.

For the Jays i'd like to see us add a power hitting outfielder (Cain or Bruce preferably) and a strong reliever/closer (Watson or Davis), and a utility SS/2B or a 2B as the health of Devon Travis is a huge questionmark. Oh and sign up Donaldson too please!

mod9maple wrote: »
    Mets have any decent prospects? Josh Donaldson I think will be in a different uniform next season if the right offer comes along.

Nah, after the promotion of Rosario/Smith, the minor leagues are pretty light on decent prospects.

Do Toronto need a catcher? I'm sure the Mets would be glad to give Travis D'arnaud back to them.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/2017-18-top-50-mlb-free-agents-with-predictions.html

Good article on the top 50 free agents and where they might end up.
    Going to be interesting to see where Stanton and Otani end up too.

For the Jays i'd like to see us add a power hitting outfielder (Cain or Bruce preferably) and a strong reliever/closer (Watson or Davis), and a utility SS/2B or a 2B as the health of Devon Travis is a huge questionmark. Oh and sign up Donaldson too please!

Plenty of players there I'd like on the Mets but unfortunately the cheap skate Wilpons won't pay for any of them.

• Advertisement

Mets hitting coach Kevin Long who was overlooked for the manager's job has taken on the hitting coach role at the Nats. This has a Daniel Murphy kind of feel about it so watch the Nats hit bomb after bomb when they face the Mets next season (even more so than they did this year).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Stay downtown that first night to save the drive as the jetlag can be strong going direct to the West Coast. You deffo shouldn't miss an opportunity to get a game in that great stadium.

Over the years I have been to 10 MLB games and my wife has been to half of them. She always enjoys going even though she doesn't follow the sport as it's a great day/night out.

Plenty of players there I'd like on the Mets but unfortunately the cheap skate Wilpons won't pay for any of them.

They'll have a budget of around 50-60 million and a lot of wholes to fill. My fear is the Wilpons will try to spread the money too thin and the Mets end up with a pile of scrapheap players

Marlins not picking up Ichiro’s option. Hopefully another team gives him a shot.

Marlins not picking up Ichiro’s option. Hopefully another team gives him a shot.

Wow the option was only $2 million as well. Maybe he might go back to Seattle :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Wow the option was only $2 million as well. Maybe he might go back to Seattle :)

He's 45 and has said he wants to play until he's 50. Would love to see him do it. First ballot HOF and should be unanimous imo. But the voters never do that.

And they are listening to offers for Stanton and Gordon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,792 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Mets re-sign Blevins (o.k. imo) and Cabrera (bad, I think he's seriously on the downside defensively). $8.5M for Cabrera, 7M for Blevins.

Blevins seemed to fade due to overuse towards the end of the season, but maybe he'll bounce back.

That's 15.5M of the '50-60' Sandy supposedly has to spend this offseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Tanaka taking up his option at the Yankees till 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Anyone play OOTP?
    Got the iPad version last week. Very addictive!

• Advertisement

And they are listening to offers for Stanton and Gordon.

St. Louis throwing their name into the ring for Stanton.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/latest-on-giancarlo-stanton.html

• Looking to go to California as part of my honeymoon next summer, but I look to arrive the day before the All Star Break.

Just realised that the game I was thinking of going to is on a Sunday, so most likely at 1pm (PT). That would be perfect. Due to arrive in LAX at 10am. Could pick up a car, and go straight to the game. She's going to hate it :D

St. Louis throwing their name into the ring for Stanton.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/11/latest-on-giancarlo-stanton.html

Stanton has a full no trade clause. I heard it mentioned before that he would only consider a move to a team on the West coast. Which, if true, leaves St Louis out in the cold

Stanton has a full no trade clause. I heard it mentioned before that he would only consider a move to a team on the West coast. Which, if true, leaves St Louis out in the cold

Really? I find that weird. I mean, the weather is hardly that much of an issue, everywhere is warm when the majority of baseball is played and he can live where ever he wants in the offseason.

Just realised that the game I was thinking of going to is on a Sunday, so most likely at 1pm (PT). That would be perfect. Due to arrive in LAX at 10am. Could pick up a car, and go straight to the game. She's going to hate it :D

There's a decent chance that Giants-Dodgers will be picked up for Sunday Night Baseball, which would mean first pitch around 5:05pm local time.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Really? I find that weird. I mean, the weather is hardly that much of an issue, everywhere is warm when the majority of baseball is played and he can live where ever he wants in the offseason.

I could be wrong about the West coast. But he is from L.A. so maybe that might influence his thinking

There's a decent chance that Giants-Dodgers will be picked up for Sunday Night Baseball, which would mean first pitch around 5:05pm local time.

Thats a great shout. Giants/Dodgers is nearly always SNB when the series is on the weekend.

• There's a decent chance that Giants-Dodgers will be picked up for Sunday Night Baseball, which would mean first pitch around 5:05pm local time.

The game is Dodgers vs Angels, so hoping it might get the lunch time first pitch

Looks like the Mets will only have 30 million to spend in off-season.

If the report is through I am livid at the Wilson's. Their cheapness will cost the Mets bigtime

• Advertisement

Awful news again today.

Roy Halliday died in a plane crash. Great pitcher. Terrible news.

Edit - Just read he was the only person on board and apparently had only bought the plane about month ago

https://deadspin.com/roy-halladay-killed-in-plane-crash-1820229860

Advertisement