Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How relevant to you is the controversy over feminism?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭marcus001

Guy posts a poll on a semi anonymous internet forum that anyone can join and people criticise his methodology. What kind of integrity do you expect any poll to have on here? Let's just do away with the polling function of boards because the "methodology" will always be flawed.

Middle Man wrote: »
    Reminder regarding the purpose of this poll - below is the original post:

Additional Poll: How relevant to you is the controversy over feminism?
    <snipped>

I have my issues with modern feminism since it's went the way of modern liberalism.. unfair, nasty in its intentions, and well, ignorant of statistical evidence. Modern Feminism seeks to punish rather than protect even to the point of attacking women who don't want to leave the home or embrace the modern professional lifestyle. Never mind what it seeks to do to men.

As for your POLL.. I didn't even vote because i couldn't figure out where I fit in. I'd hardly say theres an actual controversy. For a controversy to occur, we'd kinda need to be hearing what men have to say about being marginalised in their own society.. and that won't be happening any time soon. The momentum is still firmly placed on promoting women's "rights", and the Media is at the forefront of that effort...
    BTW, you'd do very well to remember what country is propping up this economy - I agree that not everything is right in the US, but before you slag any part of that country off, you might consider where Ireland would be without the US - I say that as an Irish person!

Not meaning derail the thread, but the US is not propping up Ireland. Ireland would be exactly where it is now without the US, except we'd probably have more Asian corporations coming here for the low corporation tax rather than US firms. And US firms do not represent the US.. they represent themselves. Their stakeholders. The US as a nation has done very little to directly help Ireland. Perhaps change your statement to have the EU instead of the US? :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

I have my issues with modern feminism since it's went the way of modern liberalism.. unfair, nasty in its intentions, and well, ignorant of statistical evidence. Modern Feminism seeks to punish rather than protect even to the point of attacking women who don't want to leave the home or embrace the modern professional lifestyle. Never mind what it seeks to do to men.

Yes, I feel that many aspects of modern feminism is quite nasty and as you said, ignorant of the facts. The 'idiotic male who can't undertake simple house chores' is a case in point - even my father who is in his 70's undertakes spray and vacuum cleaning around the house - he can also cook somewhat. Of course, I can do the laundry from start to finish as well as cooking (mostly Italian/Vegetable dishes) and cleaning - in fact, I taught a younger sister how to press clothes. There are also numerous examples in the public domain (street, parks etc.) where younger men look after their babies and children - indeed, some feminists do need to get their facts right.
    As for your POLL.. I didn't even vote because i couldn't figure out where I fit in. I'd hardly say theres an actual controversy. For a controversy to occur, we'd kinda need to be hearing what men have to say about being marginalised in their own society.. and that won't be happening any time soon. The momentum is still firmly placed on promoting women's "rights", and the Media is at the forefront of that effort...

Regarding my poll, I didn't get it perfectly right and the mechanisms for establishing polls here is rather restrictive IMO - you can't even preview a poll before posting it up - it's kind of an afterthought tagged onto the first post of a given thread.

The thinking that 'the issue of Men's Rights is not coming to the forefront and won't be any time soon' is something I'd have to disagree with. Perhaps, such might be largely true in Ireland, but the elite of Irish society tends to lag behind societies elsewhere. A recent point of controversy for example pertains to new advertising policy in England - the advertising watch dog there is AFAIK going to ban all commercials that involve gender discrimination (stereotyping and deliberate exclusion) - this hopefully means the 'hapless male who can't do the simplest household chores' will be no more and I guess there will be no more slogans on certain products like 'It's not for girls!' or 'Man Size!'. Once this happens in England, it will soon enough happen here - it's great to finally see balanced gender policy that is inclusive of men.

Men have also being gradually gaining ground on the issue of child custody with a recent enough case aired on RTE (and that says something IMO!). I've TV soaps and series banging on in the background whether I like it or not, but it can't but be noticed that it's no longer always the man cheating on the woman (with the all so common phrase 'it's not what it seems') - I've seen vice versa from time to time which is good for a change even if I hate soaps (BTW, I really do!). There's also the 'Men's Shed' here in Ireland which to me is in the likeness of the ICA which in turn allowed rural women in abusive situations (1950's Ireland) to band together by sharing their skills and hence empowering each other at a time of great misogyny - With the 'Men's Shed', I guess such a strategy is possible against today's misandry.

In my estimation, Men's Right's will soon enough come to the fore here even if certain media sources try to say otherwise - traditional media is IMO out of touch in any case - I'm 44 and hardly watch any TV or listen to any radio - the internet has largely replaced that - TV to me is old hat. Also, a survey showed that TV viewership among younger people has sharply declined in recent years (not sure if this was for Ireland or elsewhere).
    Not meaning derail the thread, but the US is not propping up Ireland. Ireland would be exactly where it is now without the US, except we'd probably have more Asian corporations coming here for the low corporation tax rather than US firms. And US firms do not represent the US.. they represent themselves. Their stakeholders. The US as a nation has done very little to directly help Ireland. Perhaps change your statement to have the EU instead of the US? :rolleyes:

Will have to agree to differ on that one, but that's a different topic and I shouldn't have brought it up - it was my reaction to an anti-American post that likened me to the alt-right over in the US.

- indeed, some feminists do need to get their facts right.

Hence why I pointed to modern Feminism. IMHO Equality is here. It's in the law and society, and now feminism seeks to punish me (and other men) for the restrictive attitudes of men (and women) from before I was even born or reached my majority. God forbid that we mention the female social stigma against womens rights throughout history..
    Regarding my poll, I didn't get it perfectly right and the mechanisms for establishing polls here is rather restrictive IMO - you can't even preview a poll before posting it up - it's kind of an afterthought tagged onto the first post of a given thread.

I'm very skeptical of the value for any poll or research where the posters are hidden and not responsible for their opinions.
    The thinking that 'the issue of Men's Rights is not coming to the forefront and won't be any time soon' is something I'd have to disagree with. Perhaps, such might be largely true in Ireland, but the elite of Irish society tends to lag behind societies elsewhere.

Elite of Irish society? Huh? I've no idea who they are. Could you explain who they are? (and how their stance on feminism/sexism is more important that the majority>?)

And I'm extremely well travelled having lived in many western and asian countries... and I wouldn't say that Irish society lags behind them anymore. The internet has put paid to that excuse. I remember we used to say similar things about music or fashion styles (when I was a teenager about 25 years ago), that we were five years behind the UK and ten behind the US. We certainly don't have that excuse anymore and social media makes sure that irish people are in the loop...
    - it's great to finally see balanced gender policy that is inclusive of men.

Whereas I disagree... its just more of this trend of deciding what we can't do, and can't see. It's censorship. Surely, we're strong enough to watch this rubbish and ignore it? for both sexes? After all, we had the blond idiot with big tits in the 70s and it slowly disappeared over time, and rarely raises it's head anymore. Still in our minds but rarely used.

I really dislike censorship... and that's after 7 years living in the PRC.
    In my estimation, Men's Right's will soon enough come to the fore here even if certain media sources try to say otherwise

I've seen very little sign of that... You pointed to things being aired on RTE but that's a far cry from the kind of attention that female issues receive.. in both media attention and government funding. Until we see an actual shift with monies being allocated then nothing has changed in the favor of men. Or actual direct changes to the law to remove the rather clear bias towards women..

Hence why I pointed to modern Feminism. IMHO Equality is here. It's in the law and society, and now feminism seeks to punish me (and other men) for the restrictive attitudes of men (and women) from before I was even born or reached my majority. God forbid that we mention the female social stigma against womens rights throughout history..
    Very true indeed!
    I'm very skeptical of the value for any poll or research where the posters are hidden and not responsible for their opinions.
    My opinion is now swaying in that direction TBH - you have a good point there.
    Elite of Irish society? Huh? I've no idea who they are. Could you explain who they are? (and how their stance on feminism/sexism is more important that the majority>?)

The elite in my mind are in the political system, campaign organisations, corporations and traditional media etc. but no, I certainly do not think they're more important than us - they might think otherwise, but it is us (ordinary taxpayers) who have the ballot box, run the machines and pay the piper.
    And I'm extremely well travelled having lived in many western and asian countries... and I wouldn't say that Irish society lags behind them anymore. The internet has put paid to that excuse. I remember we used to say similar things about music or fashion styles (when I was a teenager about 25 years ago), that we were five years behind the UK and ten behind the US. We certainly don't have that excuse anymore and social media makes sure that irish people are in the loop...

I think we'll need thorough discussions across various social media sites on 'The impact of men's rights issues on modern Irish society' to really get a measure regarding where things are at. Perhaps Irish people are in the loop as you said, but there traditionally has been the 'I'm alright Jack' syndrome in Irish society (regarding any potential problems social or economic) and such might lend weight to what you're saying.
    Whereas I disagree... its just more of this trend of deciding what we can't do, and can't see. It's censorship. Surely, we're strong enough to watch this rubbish and ignore it? for both sexes? After all, we had the blond idiot with big tits in the 70s and it slowly disappeared over time, and rarely raises it's head anymore. Still in our minds but rarely used.

While I'd be very cautious on anything along the road of censorship, the promotion of hatred/ridicule against any group of people of any particular characteristic is wrong and very harmful. If TV commercials did promote the hapless female in a given situation such as a chess tournament, it would be stopped right away (and rightly so), but why should such censorship only apply to one gender? Also, should material promoting fascist campaign groups be allowed? - well, I do feel that the most extreme of misandristic (and indeed misogynistic) ideology falls into the category of fascism and such extreme ideologies as we know are very dangerous.
    I really dislike censorship... and that's after 7 years living in the PRC.
    So do I, but there's certain communication that is extremely harmful to all of society and I do think anything that is promoting hatred/bullying against people in situations they've no control over needs to be stopped - but that's where I would draw the line regarding censorship.
    I've seen very little sign of that... You pointed to things being aired on RTE but that's a far cry from the kind of attention that female issues receive.. in both media attention and government funding. Until we see an actual shift with monies being allocated then nothing has changed in the favor of men. Or actual direct changes to the law to remove the rather clear bias towards women..
    I certainly agree that we've quite a long way to go, but as a gender group, we have started on that journey as men's issues have started becoming mainstream little by little. There was a time that anyone bringing up men's rights/issues would have simply been laughed out of it by the vast majority of both males and females - that I think is no longer the case. Social change can also happen very quickly - in the 1980's, few would ever question the Catholic Church in Ireland, but that had completely changed by the mid 1990's - seemingly unchangeable things can indeed change very fast - I lived right through that period - I used to be a conservative religious person when I was young but in my 40's, I voted YES in the gay marriage referendum.

• Advertisement

The elite in my mind are in the political system, campaign organisations, corporations and traditional media etc. but no, I certainly do not think they're more important than us - they might think otherwise, but it is us (ordinary taxpayers) who have the ballot box, run the machines and pay the piper.

Just as I'm skeptical about Polls... I'm also very skeptical about any modern political system especially democracy.. The scandals regarding vote counting, profiling, etc all point to a lack of power by the "people"...

But, okay, I get what you mean by elites now. The muppets that screw up the country and get away with it.
    I think we'll need thorough discussions across various social media sites on 'The impact of men's rights issues on modern Irish society' to really get a measure regarding where things are at. Perhaps Irish people are in the loop as you said, but there traditionally has been the 'I'm alright Jack' syndrome in Irish society (regarding any potential problems social or economic) and such might lend weight to what you're saying.

I'd much prefer that we move away from social media, the internet, our phones... whatever.. and get back to marching in the streets, and people talking in public places. The Internet is far too moderated by either "mods" or the perception of stupidity/bigotry/racism/etc. And movements on the Internet are far too easy to discredit.

Time to get into peoples faces. Stop tiptoing around the issues.
    While I'd be very cautious on anything along the road of censorship, the promotion of hatred/ridicule against any group of people of any particular characteristic is wrong and very harmful. If TV commercials did promote the hapless female in a given situation such as a chess tournament, it would be stopped right away (and rightly so), but why should such censorship only apply to one gender? Also, should material promoting fascist campaign groups be allowed? - well, I do feel that the most extreme of misandristic (and indeed misogynistic) ideology falls into the category of fascism and such extreme ideologies as we know are very dangerous.

I honestly can't see why we can't go back to the common sense... we all seemed to acknowledge before the PC brigade stepped in. It's really not that long ago. Don't be overly offensive.. and dont get offended so damn quickly.
    So do I, but there's certain communication that is extremely harmful to all of society and I do think anything that is promoting hatred/bullying against people in situations they've no control over needs to be stopped - but that's where I would draw the line regarding censorship.

Alas I havent met anyone I'd trust to decide what should and should not be censored in a very long time. Fine... If we could provide a system where everyone had the opportunity to vote on the issue and decide what should be allowed/disallowed.. but I really don't like giving a political or moral organisation the power to decide what I can see, say, hear etc in any environment including that of my own home....

I certainly agree that we've quite a long way to go, but as a gender group, we have started on that journey as men's issues have started becoming mainstream little by little. There was a time that anyone bringing up men's rights/issues would have simply been laughed out of it by the vast majority of both males and females - that I think is no longer the case. Social change can also happen very quickly - in the 1980's, few would ever question the Catholic Church in Ireland, but that had completely changed by the mid 1990's - seemingly unchangeable things can indeed change very fast - I lived right through that period - I used to be a conservative religious person when I was young but in my 40's, I voted YES in the gay marriage referendum.

I'm also in my 40's. And I think men in Western countries are being taken for a ride. A rather nasty ride that is getting worse. That we're not seeing any substantial improvements for men. And anything we might see improve right now is a token gesture to provide a smokescreen for the dozens of "improvements" for women, transgenders or whatever new gender some liberal wants to create.

And that won't change until men say "enough" and say it really bloody loudly, and not cringe wondering if we've hurt someones feelings... :rolleyes: And we decide to stop accepting the guilt that feminists have placed on us for crap we didn't create.. or even simulate.

Imagine. We are being blamed because not enough females enter an industry. Any industry. We are blamed because some females don't consider themselves better than us. We are blamed because females are sensitive and they shouldn't need to compete socially or in work. We are blamed becuase of previous generations. We are blamed... and the reasons for that blame increase all the time... it's endless.

Men need to decide enough is enough.. and tell society to bugger off.

And then demand equality. And then maintain that equality for both genders.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

For what it's worth:
    Women can’t be told anything anymore for fear of offence
    It’s nonsense that ‘fragile’ women are besieged by relentless male backlash

by
    Larissa Nolan

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/women-can-t-be-told-anything-anymore-for-fear-of-offence-1.3252456

• Registered Users Posts: 20,519 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How can you define feminism ?
    Its changes from women to women so the word its self has no real meaning , I know by definition it means the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes,
    Some people portray it in a manner that would make you believe they have a point and there is an issue to be addressed but with some of the absolute nonsense that also comes out of people into "Feminism " the word has lost meaning, and  when people hear it they think " oh here we go a women moaning about something "
    I'm not saying that is the case but the word has that attached to it now that the whole point has  been lost on a lot of people .,

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

iptba wrote: »

I saw that. The amount of backlash she got on facebook is something else. Exactly the point that Camille Paglia made that in the 70s feminists campaigned for female college students to be allowed to leave the dorms by themselves without having to notify security, and in the 2010 feminists are campaigning for them to be prevented from same.

I think the real difference is that there is individualist/freedom/capitalist/positive feminism on the one hand that, in the vein of Locke and Voltare, says "I dont care what you do, so long as you are guaranteed the right to do it", and on the other hand the collectivist/restrictive/marxist/negative feminism which seems to say that "if restricting your rights mean you have to do what I want you to do, then it is a price worth paying".

Indentity politics feminists deride all arguments based on rights. The fact that any employee has the right to bring a suit if they are discriminated should they wish is not important to them, whats important is the outcome.

So the line is drawn based on which is more important to the individual feminist - having the legal right to equality or having the perception of factual equality

Basically, the article is spot on - feminism as we know it today (through media sources and campaign groups etc.) is quite a different thing to what feminism as a mainstream ideology represented a generation ago. In the 1980's, it was mostly about equality and the evaporation of the stigma against women in terms of their ability outside the home - that I wholeheartedly supported in my school and college years. The feminism of today however is in my mind, little other than misandristic nonsense that is not only degrading and damaging to men as a whole, but is now socially restrictive to women through hysterical doctrine.

What I'd like to add is that the forces behind feminism are seemingly doing very little about the men who act with impunity against women in vulnerable situations - they'd rather rant and take their anger out upon ordinary decent men.

• Advertisement

I saw that. The amount of backlash she got on facebook is something else. Exactly the point that Camille Paglia made that in the 70s feminists campaigned for female college students to be allowed to leave the dorms by themselves without having to notify security, and in the 2010 feminists are campaigning for them to be prevented from same.
    <snip>
    Well fair play to that woman for standing up and being counted - she's the strong one who fears not to speak her mind!

RESPECT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

How can you define feminism ?
    Its changes from women to women so the word its self has no real meaning , I know by definition it means the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes,
    Some people portray it in a manner that would make you believe they have a point and there is an issue to be addressed but with some of the absolute nonsense that also comes out of people into "Feminism " the word has lost meaning, and  when people hear it they think " oh here we go a women moaning about something "
    I'm not saying that is the case but the word has that attached to it now that the whole point has  been lost on a lot of people .,
    I think it can be used as an umbrella term that can cover any issue that involves or affects at least one female. Any case, situation or incident can be manipulated into being a feminist micro-cause if there is something (real or imaginary) to be gained from it. But the core motive must be female related...because feminism is about advocating women's rights only.

It is better for feminism to not have a rigid definition, that way more people can associate with it and see it as a noble and necessary movement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Any polls where people are asked their opinion on anything are flawed. The classic one being "how many sexual partners have you had" Men exaggerate, women downplay, typically men have twice as many as women in these surveys, a mathematical impossibility.

So his methodology is just as good as any poll that proves your viewpoint, which you would have no issues with.

It is better for feminism to not have a rigid definition, that way more people can associate with it and see it as a noble and necessary movement.

Whereas I think that the Original feminist movement has achieved their goals and the movement can disappear. The awareness of female rights exists and is very strong in western culture. That's not likely to disappear, and if it did, then a new movement with a new name would be needed. Women have more than equality in virtually every area of our society, and I don't see any reason/chance for that to stop. Feminism has served its purpose.

Feminism now is a byword for hate, contempt, and paranoia. It has very little to do with women' rights and far more to do with punishing men.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Whereas I think that the Original feminist movement has achieved their goals and the movement can disappear. The awareness of female rights exists and is very strong in western culture. That's not likely to disappear, and if it did, then a new movement with a new name would be needed. Women have more than equality in virtually every area of our society, and I don't see any reason/chance for that to stop. Feminism has served its purpose.

Yet when the campaign to raise awareness of street harassment was brought up, it was roundly opposed on these threads. It's only focused on women, it's sexist against men, etc. So I think you're overlooking the ways in which movements like that continue to add value and raise awareness.
    Feminism now is a byword for hate, contempt, and
    paranoia. It has very little to do with women' rights and far more to do with punishing men.

That seems to be how the word is used by some people alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

That's not going to happen. Where would all the money come from? You know the taxpayers money that keeps these "advocates" in the lifestyle to which they are accustomed. :rolleyes:
    Feminism now is a byword for hate, contempt, and paranoia. It has very little to do with women' rights and far more to do with punishing men.

See above. They have to keep the gravy train going and their message becomes shriller and more extreme in order to get attention.

See above. They have to keep the gravy train going and their message becomes shriller and more extreme in order to get attention.

Who's on the gravy train? Do you think many people are in the gravy train? Are we back to seeing feminism as a hive mind?

There are extremists who are out or order, the same way there are men's rights extremists that you probably wouldn't agree with. Then there are awareness campaigns like the street harassment which is useful and addressing and issue for people in 21st century Ireland. It's not as serious as suffrage but it's an issue for today. It's hardly extreme

Yet when the campaign to raise awareness of street harassment was brought up, it was roundly opposed on these threads. It's only focused on women, it's sexist against men, etc. So I think you're overlooking the ways in which movements like that continue to add value and raise awareness.

This is what you seem blind to. The issue with the street harassment wasn't against criticising the behavior of those guys who do it. Nobody here objected to a campaign to reduce that kind of behavior. Instead, the objection was to the way the campaign was being conducted by painting all men in a certain way. Kinda like the "all men are potential rapists" idea.

And honestly, street harassment is kinda scraping the barrel for a women's rights movement.
    That seems to be how the word is used by some people alright.

Nah. I'm not going to ask. I'm guessing there's a snide aspect there.

This is what you seem blind to. The issue with the street harassment wasn't against criticising the behavior of those guys who do it. Nobody here objected to a campaign to reduce that kind of behavior. Instead, the objection was to the way the campaign was being conducted by painting all men in a certain way. Kinda like the "all men are potential rapists" idea.

I didn't get how it painted all men as anything. I just saw it as having a go at men who do that kind of thing. Not all men everywhere. I didn't identify with the perpetrators in the campaign because I don't do that kind of thing.
    And honestly, street harassment is kinda scraping the barrel for a women's rights movement.

As I said, it's not suffrage. But as you said, "nobody here objected to a campaign to reduce that kind of behavior". So it's an issue worth pursuing nonetheless.
    Nah. I'm not going to ask. I'm guessing there's a snide aspect there.

It wasn't a snide remark. You use a caricature to describe feminism. I don't think it's widely used in that way though it is used like that in these threads. Simple as that. Id associate feminism more with the campaign to reduce street harassment which is very different to your cartoonist description.

As I said, it's not suffrage. But as you said, "nobody here objected to a campaign to reduce that kind of behavior". So it's an issue worth pursuing nonetheless.

I don't remember anyone suggesting otherwise.

And no, I'm not getting into an argument with you again. Lesson learned.

• Advertisement

I don't remember anyone suggesting otherwise.
    Well you explicitly said feminism has served its purpose and I pointed out a contemporary campaign that we both agree is a worthwhile. Sooo... It continues to serve a worthwhile purpose which makes your first conclusion redundant. See below the comment I mean.
    Whereas I think that the Original feminist movement has achieved their goals and the movement can disappear. The awareness of female rights exists and is very strong in western culture. [..] Feminism has served its purpose.

I think lostinBlanch called it shrill and extreme. Though their meaning wasn't explicit. You thanked their post so I suppose you know what they were referring to. We agree it was a worthwhile campaign so
    And no, I'm not getting into an argument with you again. Lesson learned.
    You made an assertion and then acknowledged it's falsehood. Throwing these spurious comments around only works if you're pretty sure they won't be challenged. So maybe you're right not to get into a discussion about it.

Catherine Deneuve letter defending men's right to 'hit on women' angers feminists

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/world/catherine-deneuve-letter-defending-mens-right-to-hit-on-women-angers-feminists-822081.html
    “Rape is a crime, but trying to seduce someone, even persistently or cack-handedly, is not – nor is men being gentlemanly a macho attack,” said the letter published in the newspaper Le Monde.

“Men have been punished summarily, forced out of their jobs when all they did was touch someone’s knee or try to steal a kiss,” said the letter, which was also signed by Catherine Millet, author of the explicit 2002 bestseller The Sexual Life of Catherine M.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

For me there would be a large gulf between flirting and touching knees or going for a gob on. So I disagree with Ms Deneuve on that score.

I am glad that somebody in the public eye has questioned the Holy Church Of The Perpetual Victimhood. It hopefully might raise more measured questions over what in some ways is becoming a bandwagoning and oft hysterical witch hunt. Feminism channelling McCarthyism. There's reds abusers under the bed!

But this French letter(snigger) is not the question to be asking.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

'Staggering' financial sector gap sparks demands for targets

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/staggering-financial-sector-gap-sparks-demands-for-targets-36476551.html
    "The study found that only 3pc of men availed of a reduced schedule, where available, compared to 31pc of women."
    "Dr Quinn said pay transparency exists in the civil service, but that there are issues with women in senior leadership roles. She added that the disparity arises because there are not enough women coming forward for senior level roles."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Wibbs wrote: »
    For me there would be a large gulf between flirting and touching knees or going for a gob on. So I disagree with Ms Deneuve on that score.

I am glad that somebody in the public eye has questioned the Holy Church Of The Perpetual Victimhood. It hopefully might raise more measured questions over what in some ways is becoming a bandwagoning and oft hysterical witch hunt. Feminism channelling McCarthyism. There's reds abusers under the bed!

But this French letter(snigger) is not the question to be asking.

Woman and I were only discussing the other day how difficult it must be being a youngster nowadays. I mean, how do they even communicate to each other that they fancy each other? No wonder they're "sexting", FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

On the later issue, Neeson said he felt that there was "a bit of a witch-hunt happening".

"There is some famous people being suddenly accused of touching some girl's knee or something and suddenly they’re being dropped from their programme or something," Neeson said.

Neeson referenced US radio presenter Garrison Keillor when discussing the scandal.

"I was reading recently about him (Keillor). He was listening to a sad story from a female friend of his. And at the end of this he put his hand to her back...

"And she had a blouse on and it was her bare back, I don’t know what the blouse was like, and he immediately took his hand away and apologised. She said ’don’t worry about it, forget about it’.

"They went their separate ways, but he emailed her because he was concerned. Apparently, he has a thing about physical touching anyway. And she said 'forget about it, don’t worry about it.'

"Months later he gets a call from a lawyer, or his radio station does in Minnesota Public Radio, saying he inappropriately touched this lady, and he was dropped like that."

Liam Neeson criticised over Hollywood sexual harassment scandal comments on Late Late Show

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/entertainment/liam-neeson-criticised-over-hollywood-sexual-harassment-scandal-comments-on-late-late-show-822560.html

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/atwood-oped-galloway-letter-1.4486936
    Margaret Atwood faces backlash for #MeToo op-ed

The Handmaid's Tale author also called for transparency in UBC's high-profile firing of Steven Galloway

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/atwood-oped-galloway-letter-1.4486936

Comment piece on this:
    https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/lifestyle/has-metoo-has-gone-too-far-20180116-h0ivul.html

In the meantime, though, I'm going to heed US social commentator, Thom Hartman's words about the unfortunate of resignation of Democrat Al Frankin, "If there needs to be collateral damage for this moment to become permanent, it's worth it."

I get the impression from this and some other things I read before that some feminists are willing for some innocent men to be "sacrificed" for the greater good.

Margaret Atwood faces backlash for #MeToo op-ed

The Handmaid's Tale author also called for transparency in UBC's high-profile firing of Steven Galloway
    I was alerted to this story by this Irish Times Opinion piece (which I can't read without subscribing)
    Feminism, we have a problem: Why it’s wrong to turn on Margaret Atwood
    Kathy Sheridan: #MeToo is a revolution, and ‘guilty because accused’ has kicked in
    https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/feminism-we-have-a-problem-why-it-s-wrong-to-turn-on-margaret-atwood-1.3357608

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Advertisement