Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How relevant to you is the controversy over feminism?

• 01-09-2017 8:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Additional Poll: How relevant to you is the controversy over feminism?

In my other poll, a serious flaw has arisen and such is the exclusion of a vote option pertaining to those who have no real interest in the subject of feminism. This secondary poll is intended to not only address the above issue, but also to give a collective insight into how much effect the issue of feminism has had upon voters here. With such information, it is hoped that the original polling data will be more sound when set against a reasonable contextual background constructed by this secondary poll. Do bear in mind that some women will probably be voting here too, but they must understand that they’re voting on the issue of feminism only and not misogyny.

Regards,
    Middle Man

How relevant to you is the controversy over feminism? 102 votes

1. Very concerned as I’ve been intimately affected (bad relationship etc.)
    3% 4 votes
    2. Quite concerned as I’ve been affected somewhat (in family, public etc.)
    4% 5 votes
    3. Not greatly affected but concerned for the future (for me and others)
    14% 15 votes
    4. Not very concerned, but nonetheless interested (curiosity/research etc.)
    23% 24 votes
    5. Neither concerned nor interested - has no real affect on me
    21% 22 votes
    6. Not sure
    31% 32 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Apologies, but something went wrong with the punctuation in the poll options list - the apostrophes didn't code correctly in the system for some reason.

'I’ve' should be taken as 'I've'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

Middle Man wrote: »
    Apologies, but something went wrong with the punctuation in the poll options list - the apostrophes didn't code correctly in the system for some reason.

'I’ve' should be taken as 'I've'.

Small correction:
    The following should say "effect" not "affect":
    has no real affect on me

iptba wrote: »
    Small correction:
    The following should say "effect" not "affect":

That's one that can catch people easily - I thought 'effect' was solely used in the context of visual art and display and that 'affect' meant 'consequential difference/change' as both a verb and a noun. Just looked it up and no, affect is not used in the form of a noun - it is indeed 'effect'.

What's really annoying though is that I can't go back and change it - we all make mistakes, but it really plays on me when I can't go back and correct them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭tigger123

Which / what controversy about feminism are you referring to?

tigger123 wrote: »
    Which / what controversy about feminism are you referring to?

The issue of misandry among frontline feminists.

• Advertisement

Do you not think the results, garnered in a Mens forum that discusses negative aspects of feminism on an ongoing basis, will be somewhat biased?

Candie wrote: »
    Do you not think the results, garnered in a Mens forum that discusses negative aspects of feminism on an ongoing basis, will be somewhat biased?
    If the results were to be presented as representative of all men in society, then such would be dishonest. However, I'm not running these polls on a broad cross section of society - I just want to know how we as a whole on this forum view feminism regarding its impact on society. The main benefit will be the availability of data for individual posters regarding viewpoints on feminism. I may at some future point run a poll on a more general forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

If the results were to be presented as representative of all men in society, then such would be dishonest. However, I'm not running these polls on a broad cross section of society - I just want to know how we as a whole on this forum view feminism regarding its impact on society. The main benefit will be the availability of data for individual posters regarding viewpoints on feminism. I may at some future point run a poll on a more general forum.

Someone has way too much time on their hands. What controversy is running at the moment that concerns the topic of feminism? This thread sounds like one of those silly wind up merchant threads on here that gets started from time to time, usually by someone who is clearly at the student politics phase of their life.

It's still a self selecting sample. By definition it's those that have stronger feelings about feminism that will be likely to vote, those for whom it poses no concern and who care nothing or little, won't be interested enough to vote. More likely to be the case on a general forum too, I'd imagine.

With that in mind, the results are likely to have little real meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Where's the 'Not at all?' or 'What controversy outside of a handful of internet forums'? option. It's a pointless poll, obviously skewed to get a certain result the OP wants.

• Advertisement

It's still a self selecting sample. By definition it's those that have stronger feelings about feminism that will be likely to vote, those for whom it poses no concern and who care nothing or little, won't be interested enough to vote. More likely to be the case on a general forum too, I'd imagine.

With that in mind, the results are likely to have little real meaning.
    Looking at your posts, it's quite clear that you're female and perhaps a little uncomfortable with the emerging voting trends? You are entitled to air your opinions and even vote, but what you're not entitled to do is come here and try and undermine the work I'm doing just because you don't like the results.

Where's the 'Not at all?' or 'What controversy outside of a handful of internet forums'? option. It's a pointless poll, obviously skewed to get a certain result the OP wants.
    Looking at your posts, it's quite clear that you're female and perhaps a little uncomfortable with the emerging voting trends? You are entitled to air your opinions and even vote, but what you're not entitled to do is come here and try and undermine the work I'm doing just because you don't like the results.

I rest my case.

That's a ridiculous thing to say. I'm simply pointing out an obvious flaw.

Your 'work' is undermined by your methodology, not by me.

I rest my case.

Now, I think the main poll regarding perception of feminism in Ireland is quite fair for those who are interested - there's a clear option for those who think feminism is fair and balanced. I did acknowledge that I overlooked the provision of an option for those who weren't really interested and that I have made quite clear - such is why the poll on this thread has been established. Just because you don't agree with the result doesn't mean that you have the right to dismiss me as a polling fraudster - in such a case, the mods would probably have these polls shut down very quickly.

Now, I think the main poll regarding perception of feminism in Ireland is quite fair for those who are interested - there's a clear option for those who think feminism is fair and balanced. I did acknowledge that I overlooked the provision of an option for those who weren't really interested and that I have made quite clear - such is why the poll on this thread has been established. Just because you don't agree with the result doesn't mean that you have the right to dismiss me as a polling fraudster - in such a case, the mods would probably have these polls shut down very quickly.

I'm intrigued. What do you think the result is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Divelment

I voted rogue, just for the laugh! :D:D:D

I'm intrigued. What do you think the result is?
    'emerging result' is what I meant.

Regarding what I think the result will be, I won't be able to say much until the beginning of next month at which time both polls will be closed.

Regarding what I think the result will be, I won't be able to say much until the beginning of next month at which time both polls will be closed.

Regardless of how long it's open, the result is meaningless due to the self-selection bias.

Right....because right now the poll says that 77.22% of people are "Not greatly affected", "Not very concerned" and "Neither concerned nor interested" by "the controversy over feminism."

Not only is it totally irrelevant as a poll because of the selection bias, it's so appalling worded that there will never be any meaningful result.

If the OP is concerned with only eliciting male voters, having the poll anonymous is another mistake.

• Advertisement

Regardless of how long it's open, the result is meaningless due to the self-selection bias.
    The question is:

If the eventual result is so meaningless, why do you seem so concerned?

The question is:

If the eventual result is so meaningless, why do you seem so concerned?

I don't care, particularly. You seem to have a problem with me contributing to the thread though.

Foolishly I thought you'd be interested in accurate results and thought you'd appreciate being shown the flaw in the methodology, but it doesn't appear to be important to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

How is this a controversy?

Some people have some views, that's a controversy?

I don't care, particularly. You seem to have a problem with me contributing to the thread though.

Foolishly I thought you'd be interested in accurate results and thought you'd appreciate being shown the flaw in the methodology, but it doesn't appear to be important to you.

No, if you contributed positively instead of rubbishing my work with words like 'meaningless', I would take a different approach to your posts.

If the OP is concerned with only eliciting male voters, having the poll anonymous is another mistake.

Perhaps, you're right because it's quite interesting looking at the surge in this poll for:

During a very quiet weekend on the voting front, I find it rather amazing!

Your results will be meaningless, I made no judgement on the value of what you're trying to ascertain.

If you were that invested, you'd try to do it properly instead of trying to prevent flaws being pointed out or questions asked, or implying people are only pointing out the blazingly, blatantly, blindingly obvious because of their gender.

If I were conducting a poll, I'd strive to hold one where I'd be confident of the accuracy of the results.

Your results will be meaningless, I made no judgement on the value of what you're trying to ascertain.

If you were that invested, you'd try to do it properly instead of trying to prevent flaws being pointed out or questions asked, or implying people are only pointing out the blazingly, blatantly, blindingly obvious because of their gender.

If I were conducting a poll, I'd strive to hold one where I'd be confident of the accuracy of the results.

Did you bother to look at all the posts in the two threads containing the polls??? Did you bother to look into my responses therein for the last two days? More importantly, are you saying (in your last few posts) that the men here are stupid and not able to think for themselves???

Perhaps, you're right because it's quite interesting looking at the surge in this poll for:

During a very quiet weekend on the voting front, I find it rather amazing!

So you're no longer confident in the integrity of your poll because it's not showing a response you expected?
    Did you bother to look at all the posts in the two threads containing the polls??? Did you bother to look into my responses therein for the last two days? More importantly, are you saying (in your last few posts) that the men here are stupid and not able to think for themselves???

You are pulling that from thin air. I neither said nor implied any such thing.

You're pettifogging the issue I brought up by trying to paint me as trying to sabotage your poll, but it's been sabotaged from the get-go by an number of issues, none of which have anything to do with me.

I'm only addressing the flaws inherent to the poll on this thread. Nothing else. I have literally zero interest in anything you have to say personally.

<snip>
    You are pulling that from thin air. I neither said nor implied any such thing.

You're pettifogging the issue I brought up by trying to paint me as trying to sabotage your poll, but it's been sabotaged from the get-go by an number of issues, none of which have anything to do with me.

I'm only addressing the flaws inherent to the poll on this thread. Nothing else. I have literally zero interest in anything you have to say personally.

You said earlier that I'm not interested in any advice regarding improvements in polling methodology - yet there's clear evidence to the contrary in my responses to constructive observations over the last couple of days. Also, if it doesn't really matter to you (either me or the content in the polls I'm conducting), then why are you still here posting - is that not rather contradictory?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

"Misandry" doesn't bother me because it's not really a thing.

Advertisement