Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hiking insurance

• 20-06-2019 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm heading to Italy to the val Grande region for a weeks hike. I'd like to get hiking insurance incase I get hurt. Would like to hear any recommendations from other hikers and what ye use.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

try the Austrian alpine club, membership includes insurance

https://aacuk.org.uk/p-membership-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

kvnt wrote: »
    I'm heading to Italy to the val Grande region for a weeks hike. I'd like to get hiking insurance incase I get hurt. Would like to hear any recommendations from other hikers and what ye use.

Try the AA in the UK - covers fell walking up to 2500m - we got it a few years back for a walking holiday in Spain and it was good value - screenshot of a page of the policy wording is attached

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

Try the AA in the UK - covers fell walking up to 2500m - we got it a few years back for a walking holiday in Spain and it was good value - screenshot of a page of the policy wording is attached

I found the attached booklet (follow link below) on the Irish AA website - covers trekking up to 4000m - it's with talking to them
    https://www.theaa.ie/aa/about-us/policy-booklets.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I doubt ordinary travel insurance covers rescues, which is why most people buy insurance? You're charged for rescue in many parts of Italy & helicopter rescues are expensive.

BMC & Austrian would be the usual choices. Austrian covers you for multiple trips, and last time I looked was more expensive as a consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

hmmm wrote: »
    BMC & Austrian would be the usual choices. Austrian covers you for multiple trips, and last time I looked was more expensive as a consequence.
    It's a long time since I used AAC but back then, insurance was included in membership which cost about €45. BMC membership was in or around the same but insurance was extra and was maybe €300-400 for similar cover to that in the AAC policy. As far as I remember it was for a full year and didn't have a restriction on the number of trips

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BMC do single trip insurance, you don't have to become a member.

With the Austrian Alpine Club, you often get discounts in huts for accommodation with your membership card, as well as a nice newsletter every quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 kvnt

Thanks for all the replies, in the end I went for the Austrian alpine club (uk) as I think this is perfect for my trip. I think if i was travelling out side Europe i would definitely get BMC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Try the AA in the UK - covers fell walking up to 2500m

For the sake of others who come upon this thread, be careful of that altitude limit when taking out an Irish or GB issued policy - it's really easy to get above 2500m in the Alps. There's a place in Italy I've been to a few times where the starting point for a whole series of circuits is at 2000m and you'd see families with children there out for their Sunday stroll up to 3000-3500m and not give it a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mjedl

campbell-irvine in the UK
    https://www.campbellirvinedirect.com/CIDirect/
    got it recently for my wife going to Peru , has the height covered and helicopter extraction if you want it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭bwalsh1983

Same questions here - handy tips in the above.

I was looking at the Club Alpino Italiano in term of joining in case of rescue requirements but it seems impenetrable!

BMC the recommendation for a single trip which will include above 2500m then?

Try the Austrian alpine club uk

I had insurance for.my.trip last week, but where I was hiking had no phone coverage. If I had got hurt it would have taken hours for rescue

bwalsh1983 wrote: »
    Same questions here - handy tips in the above.

I was looking at the Club Alpino Italiano in term of joining in case of rescue requirements but it seems impenetrable!

BMC the recommendation for a single trip which will include above 2500m then?

kvnt wrote: »
    Try the Austrian alpine club uk

I had insurance for.my.trip last week, but where I was hiking had no phone coverage. If I had got hurt it would have taken hours for rescue

will do - thanks for the tip

Trying to put this to bed and book our cover here - the Austrian Alpine Club seems to cover helicopter evac. if that arose. It is unlikely but lets say a broken ankle or the likes when far from a populated spot then it makes sense. However it states it is not travel insurance. It would really just be for he search and rescue/emergency issue.

The AA travel insurance covers trekking up to 4000m so covers us also. It does however explicitly state it excludes search and rescue.

Is it a case of getting both?

Trying to put this to bed and book our cover here - the Austrian Alpine Club seems to cover helicopter evac. if that arose. It is unlikely but lets say a broken ankle or the likes when far from a populated spot then it makes sense. However it states it is not travel insurance. It would really just be for he search and rescue/emergency issue.

The AA travel insurance covers trekking up to 4000m so covers us also. It does however explicitly state it excludes search and rescue.

If travelling in Europe would your European health insurance card not cover for any medical treatment in hospital. If you had to transported home I'm guessing you would need insurance for this.

The thing to remember that if an accident takes place in the Alps, the likelihood is that a helicopter will be called to rescue you, it's not like here, where the local mountain rescue team will assemble and carry you out.
    Helicopters are expensive, and you will be billed for the cost, but you are right, cover with the Austrian Alpine Club isn't travel insurance as such.

Advertisement