Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fitness test 2019

Options
  • 18-04-2019 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, a few weeks ago i applied for the army and I've just recieved an email for the fitness/interview on the 1st of May, my problem is at the moment im not fit enough, I have been exercising since i applied but i had thought it would be a while before i would have to take the fitness test, I do realy want to join the army but im not sure i can pass the fitness as i am, if i had another month i definetely think i could.

So is it possible to take the fitness at a later date?
    I tried to ring the number on the bottom of the email for the manpower office to ask but there was no answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ducky00

More than likely no. There's no unharsh way to say this but if you are not fit enough to take the test that is your issue. You could try but I highly doubt it they will give you another date. They will more than likely say tough, you should have been prepared. Sounds harsh I know but that's how it'll be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Kerastes

Its not unheard of for them to hand out new dates if you fail the exam. Happened in my recruitment group, some lad failed terribly, was told to come back in 7 weeks

Anyway more importantly, If you cant do the exam 1) you have an issue, most people should be able to run the mile and a half in that time and 2) If you go in too unfit, you'll probably leave during training.

They're recruiting twice a year now for the foreseeable future, get yourself in shape and ready for the october recruitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Townton

bamalann wrote: »
    Hi, a few weeks ago i applied for the army and I've just recieved an email for the fitness/interview on the 1st of May, my problem is at the moment im not fit enough, I have been exercising since i applied but i had thought it would be a while before i would have to take the fitness test, I do realy want to join the army but im not sure i can pass the fitness as i am, if i had another month i definetely think i could.

So is it possible to take the fitness at a later date?
    I tried to ring the number on the bottom of the email for the manpower office to ask but there was no answer.

I wouldn't over think it. From what I remember when I did it the run isn't that bad, granted there will always be a few that have the speed and agility of a springbok at these tests and make everyone else look pretty slow but tbh I don't think anyone actually failed the run when I was there which was 1.5 miles in i think 10:30, very doable. And the other tests were twenty push ups and 20 sit ups. A minute for each again not that difficult. Not sure if it's changed since but I would advise have a go, make sure you sleep and eat well for a day or so before and it should be fine. Unless you are really out of shape in which case I would say do it anyway and see how far off the mark you are and then take the time to prepare accordingly for next time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shepard48

I also applied a few weeks ago and did the physometric test but haven’t herd anything since. Is there still hope for me or what does anyone know ? Any information would really be appreciated
    Thanks In advance

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ducky00

When was the end date of the psychometric? It can take a few weeks after the end date to hear anything back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

End date of psychometric was April 14th by the 18th i received my email to be in cathal brugha barracks at 08:00 on may 1st, and i was late doing my psychometric test due to a internet problem

End date of psychometric was April 14th by the 18th i received my email to be in cathal brugha barracks at 08:00 on may 1st, and i was late doing my psychometric test due to a internet problem

Got a reply this morning to be in Collins barracks at 8:00 am the 9th of May thanks for ur reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

I was invited to attend the fitness test but I will be out of the country until the 1st of June. Would I be able to reschedule?

I was invited to attend the fitness test but I will be out of the country until the 1st of June. Would I be able to reschedule?

I would presume so if I was you I would get in direct contact with them and explain your situation

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gct

Hopefully someone can help with this. been called up for fitness test and interview on 8th May in Collins barracks in Cork. The thing is I'm from Dublin. Can I rearrange to do the test in Dublin? If I do the fitness test and interview in Cork does that mean I will be enlisted in the Southern Brigade (1st brigade)? I was hoping to join the eastern brigade (2nd brigade) I may have messed up on My original application and picked 1st instead of 2nd brigade. Doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Budah

When I did my fitness test last year, 5 people failed. 3 were women who couldn't do the required amount of push-ups and the other 2 were typical lads who thought being big and bulky would put them ahead (they failed the 2.4km run).

All were invited back to retest two weeks after.

If it's the running that is catching you out just keep training everyday. I was barely making the cut when I was training by myself but when the time came and I was timed surrounded by other would be recruits, I flew. It's difficult to describe but you are capable of much more when you are pushed.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SierraLima

Hi guys has anyone heard anything about stage 2 of the air corps cadetship? Completed online psychometric tests on 31/5 and yet to hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BittysHill1998

SierraLima wrote: »
    Hi guys has anyone heard anything about stage 2 of the air corps cadetship? Completed online psychometric tests on 31/5 and yet to hear back.

Should hear back this week

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Townton wrote: »
    I wouldn't over think it. From what I remember when I did it the run isn't that bad, granted there will always be a few that have the speed and agility of a springbok at these tests and make everyone else look pretty slow but tbh I don't think anyone actually failed the run when I was there which was 1.5 miles in i think 10:30, very doable. And the other tests were twenty push ups and 20 sit ups. A minute for each again not that difficult. Not sure if it's changed since but I would advise have a go, make sure you sleep and eat well for a day or so before and it should be fine. Unless you are really out of shape in which case I would say do it anyway and see how far off the mark you are and then take the time to prepare accordingly for next time around.

I thought the time required for the 2.4km run was below 11mins 40 sec?
    Anybody under 40 years of age who can't manage this is not suited to the military

Advertisement