Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

De Facto Shaving Oil?

Options
  • 11-06-2019 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I've heard the ad a few times on the radio. I don't even know what it's like using shaving oil as opposed to shaving gel. I guess it was the "none of the nasty chemicals" that caught my attention.

https://www.defactoshave.com/

I switched from foam to gels years ago after hearing that the gel doesn't dry your skin. But what's oil actually like in comparison?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Probably the same as King of Shaves,Tea Tree Oil or whatever it is they put in it.
    Tried oil a few times,never had much success with it.
    A brush and soap is generally the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I really like King of Shaves oil but haven't bought it in a while. It's not always readily available.
    I#ll have a look at this one... curious. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I use a brush and soap but I add a few drops of t-tree oil to the soap first.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Game of Thrones Fan

I use a brush and soap but I add a few drops of t-tree oil to the soap first.
    But doesn't soap dry the skin??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

I have been using it for years, my skin is sensitive used to get cuts before from other gels etc. None with this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,408 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

But doesn't soap dry the skin??

Use a post shave moisturiser. Blackbeard's Revenge leaves the skin really soft and smooth I find.
    Any of the stuff in the supermarket is excellent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I use an oil first, massage it into the beard/stubble. Use king of shaves gel mostly and find it’s always available in boots. Recently got some American crew oil, every bit as good, maybe better. Then on top of the oil, for years I’ve been using KoS gel. Recently the other half got me some shaving cream out of the body shop and it’s not bad.

On Holidays recently and I couldn’t pick up anything decent so had to buy some Gillette gel. Gel me arse, gel that turns into foam. Granted not as bad as just regular shaving foam but God that foam stuff is brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Game of Thrones Fan

Seve OB wrote: »
    On Holidays recently and I couldn’t pick up anything decent so had to buy some Gillette gel. Gel me arse, gel that turns into foam. Granted not as bad as just regular shaving foam but God that foam stuff is brutal.
    I really like the way that it turns into foam! It's convenient.

But I suppose if it were proper gel, then it would be better for the skin?

Advertisement