Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Books of Survey and Distribution

• 04-06-2019 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭

It looks like one of my ancestors might be one of Cromwell's Ironsides who came over in 1649.
    Can members of the public view the Books of Survey and Distribution in the NLI?
    It's been 20 years since I was last there poring over microfiched parish records.

Will it be the same for these books?
    Do I need to make a reservation?
    Anything else?
    Are there any records of who was in Cromwell's original 3,000?

[Edit] Answering one of my own questions: it seems like they have a microfilm copy of the Books.
    Will it actually be microfilm? I would have thought all the microfilm records would have been digitized by now?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Afaik, they have only digitised the parish records so it will be microfilm.

You'll need a reader's ticket.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

It might help to know what is in the Down Survey (http://downsurvey.tcd.ie/index.html) and to look at the Irish Manuscripts Commission edition of Clare, Galway, Mayo and Roscommon (http://www.irishmanuscripts.ie/digital/surveydistributionv4/files/13.html) before poring over the microfilms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

Fortunately or unfortunately, my area of interest is South Kilkenny.
    According to John O'Donovan in Annals of the Kingdom of Ireland, he came over with Cromwells army in 1649, which is why I suspect he was an Ironside rather than an adventurer.
    The name is completely unique to that part of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

josip wrote: »
    It looks like one of my ancestors might be one of Cromwell's Ironsides who came over in 1649.
    Can members of the public view the Books of Survey and Distribution in the NLI?............... Are there any records of who was in Cromwell's original 3,000?
    The Books of Survey and Distribution for some counties have been published by the Manuscripts Commission and the later Civil Survey survives only for some counties. However the former predates what you are looking for as they list the old proprietors.

AFAIK there is no list of the entire army. If the ancestor was an ordinary soldier you probably have no hope of finding a reference to him in the surviving army lists; were he an officer there is a chance that he got a mention in one of them. The turmoil of mustering and embarking the thousands of troops meant that not all officers were listed – add to that officers who were rapidly commissioned and ‘the paperwork’ never caught up, and those who received field promotions.

There are several separate lists covering various participants at different times – e.g. This one

Firth’s book on the New Model Army also has lists and is a good read on how the army was managed.

Prendergast’s ‘Cromwellian Settlement of Ireland’ mentions many officers. (Online, free.)

Grene Barry’s book on Limerick lists the old proprietors, townlands and the grantees. (Online, free.)

The Hearth Money Rolls – lists by county; Laffan has a book that covers Co. Tipp. (Online, free.)

Reading contemporary books often throws up a ‘find’ e.g. Bulstrode Whitelock’s ‘Memorials’ has details of Cromwell in Ireland and reguraly mentions officers by name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

josip wrote: »
    Fortunately or unfortunately, my area of interest is South Kilkenny.
    From Whitelock
    Page 450
    Governor Colonel Hewson took Lawlinbrideg (Leighlinbridge) and marched with a strong party to meet the Lord Lieutenant at Gouran (Gowran). The combined forces marched and entered the Town without opposition on March 19. The Castle would not yield and after “a strong dispute” upon one attempt to storm, the common soldiers (that they might have quarter for themselves) delivered up their officers, viz. Col, Hamson, Major Townly, two Capts. one quartermaster, one lieutenant and a priest.” The officers were shot and the priest hanged.

Next day they marched on Kilkenny and there was skirmishing by both sides to improve their positions. While the English forces were withdrawing under pressure on one side, their other party took that part of the city known as Irishtown, during which Col. Hewson was slightly wounded. The Town then “beat a parley” and after one day’s negotiation it was agreed that the Irish would deliver the Town with all artillery, arms, ammunition and officers. They would march out, hand over their arms and leave the country to serve overseas. A welcome supply of corn was found in the town. A small Irish detachment was allowed to remain, to guard the town against raparees.

• Advertisement
Advertisement