Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Internal move within a company being blocked

• 15-02-2020 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I'm working with a financial firm and we're being told that there's a big adjustment in the cost base in the pipeline. Voluntary redundancies, etc.

I have been looking to move teams in work anyway and pursue a new area of work. I had some I initial conversations (with permission of my boss) with other managers and a move seemed to be on the horizon.

I'm now been told that "resources in our area are very stretched" and when I asked why an internal move wouldn't be supported then I was given a spiel about having to "look after our own cost centre here"...

This strikes me as bull to be honest. Surely, it's a better use of resources overall for the company to support the move instead of risking losing me...?

Does anyone have any advice of where I go from here? I'm considering going to HR about it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Blue Magic wrote: »
    I'm working with a financial firm and we're being told that there's a big adjustment in the cost base in the pipeline. Voluntary redundancies, etc.

I have been looking to move teams in work anyway and pursue a new area of work. I had some I initial conversations (with permission of my boss) with other managers and a move seemed to be on the horizon.

I'm now been told that "resources in our area are very stretched" and when I asked why an internal move wouldn't be supported then I was given a spiel about having to "look after our own cost centre here"...

This strikes me as bull to be honest. Surely, it's a better use of resources overall for the company to support the move instead of risking losing me...?

Does anyone have any advice of where I go from here? I'm considering going to HR about it

IMO. HR are there to manage affairs in your employer best interests. Not yours. What do you think they will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

IMO. HR are there to manage affairs in your employer best interests. Not yours. What do you think they will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

PCeeeee wrote: »

What he said - HR don't protect or help employees despite what the fancy wall signs in offices say, they are there to protect the house.

I've been in a similar situation, if someone doesnt want you to move you have two options, suck it up or leave as as bad as that sounds it's how things work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Maybe they are happy to lose you?

You had a discussion about moving, I'm going to assume that based on the info you posted that no contract was signed?
    And apart from encouraging noises regarding considering a move, nothing definite was laid out?

Regarding other cost centres, it's a perfectly valid reason to not accept or allow a transfer in times of flux within a company.
    Budgets are being trimmed, headcount is falling and other departments are going to look after their own needs 1st.

Out of curiousity?
    What will you be going to HR about?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

You might be less likely to be made redundant where you are, rather than new role where you havent yet built credibility/reputation. There could be half a dozen reasons why they dont want you to move.

It's very naive to suggest going to HR on this. You need to be a bit cleverer about it. Have an informal chat with your boss about your role, emphasise your commitment to the company and that you want to grow your experience. Ask for their advice. Dont go in all guns blazing, that'll make them defensive and less likely to get what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

zapper55 wrote: »
    You might be less likely to be made redundant where you are, rather than new role where you havent yet built credibility/reputation. There could be half a dozen reasons why they dont want you to move.

It's very naive to suggest going to HR on this. You need to be a bit cleverer about it. Have an informal chat with your boss about your role, emphasise your commitment to the company and that you want to grow your experience. Ask for their advice. Don't go in all guns blazing, that'll make them defensive and less likely to get what you want.

Ah I know yeah. Was just shooting the breeze with that suggestion...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

PCeeeee wrote: »

Correct, the ONLY time that HR will go on the side of the employee is if the employer/management has been acting the goat and there is evidence, hard evidence and witnesses to corroborate this to the point that the company could be taken to the courts etc where bad PR and loosing a lot of cash is a reasonable probability all in the glare of the media and public...

Otherwise HR whom we are groomed to believe are an independent entity, enthusiastic about fairness and there to enable the fair treatment of employees go about their ‘true business’ which is the bureau of ‘damage limitation’ for the employer, they take their orders from the same people they take their pay check. Trust none of em.

Advertisement