Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Struggling in college

• 07-01-2020 2:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hey, I was wondering does anyone have advice on how to cope with pressure from a lecturer to do well in my final year. The lecturer means well and is trying to get the most potential out of me, but it's now having a negative impact on my work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

Judging from your username, I would guess you are not overly confrontational, which is totally fine - but it might mean you won't be comfortable saying what you've said here, to them. I don't have much advice to offer, other than to say... move at your own pace, you know how you work best, you know your own limits, your strengths, your weaknesses - you know you better than anybody else does. So... move at your own pace, but at the same time - be open to all help and advice that your lecturer may offer. I'm sure somebody here will offer more practical advice than mine, soon...

Keep going!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ShyWho12

sugarman wrote: »
    Just say it to them. Ask for a quiet word in private or fire off a quick email explaining you've a lot going on and you appreciate what they're trying to do for you etc.. but it's not helping matters.

Its easier said than done, but it's the only way. I'm out of college over 10 years now but I'd similar issues back then and I always regret not saying something because I knew I could have done better than I did.

Its only from working in the real world after college I learned you really have to speak up in these situations.

Thanks for your reply. It is easier said than done but I think I'll have to bite the bullet and speak up otherwise it might go down hill. The admiration I have for them is huge and I really do appreciate the time and effort they have put in to get the best out of me, but right now it isnt working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ShyWho12

MMXX wrote: »
    Judging from your username, I would guess you are not overly confrontational, which is totally fine - but it might mean you won't be comfortable saying what you've said here, to them. I don't have much advice to offer, other than to say... move at your own pace, you know how you work best, you know your own limits, your strengths, your weaknesses - you know you better than anybody else does. So... move at your own pace, but at the same time - be open to all help and advice that your lecturer may offer. I'm sure somebody here will offer more practical advice than mine, soon...

Keep going!

Thank you for your advice, I will take on board what you have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MMXX

ShyWho12 wrote: »
    Thank you for your advice, I will take on board what you have said.
    You are welcome. I wish I could help more, but I am hesitant to give you advice which may be poor/unhelpful, I hope you understand.

COME ON PEOPLE! Help this person out! Does anybody have any advice? This person needs our help – come on people!

Good luck OP, whatever happens - everything WILL be OK!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭lenan

Every college have student support workers (can't think of proper title) You should go and talk with them. There job is to help you with any issues and they will be able to liaise with the tutor. This is not just lip service but really is a service for the students, some larger universities would even have them working Christmas day.

Depending on how you feel you could send an email to the lecturer if you found that easier. At the end of the day the do want to see you doing well.

Don't be too hard on yourself, final year is always stressful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement