Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drew Harris appointed Garda commissioner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

They said it wasnt them it was a private company after the story and the connection of an old Police van was made ,
    One way it another they lied , they said the Van was taxed and insured which is a lie ,

The truth is you don't know who owns the van.

Show proof otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Are Am Eye wrote: »

Show proof otherwise.

Didn't Jimmy Rabbite have a van?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Are Am Eye wrote: »

Show proof otherwise.

I know i dont know one does as it is not registered , the men in the mask got out of it and drove it away

blanch152 wrote: »
    Why would ID have to be shown?

Surely all they need to show the occupants is a copy of the Court Order and a letter authorising the bearer of the letter to carry out the Court's order. That would be sufficient.

Because its a law under section 30 of the Irish private secruity service act ,

Do mean to tell me if you some how fell behind on repayments for you house and a lad showed up at your door with a letter and no ID ud leave ur house , Get a grip will ye

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Do mean to tell me if you some how fell behind on repayments for you house and a lad showed up at your door with a letter and no ID ud leave ur house , Get a grip will ye

This only relates to security guards and doormen? Where these guys employed as security/door staff?

• Advertisement

Not at all the same as a lot of squatters in a house they neither pay for, not have fallen behind in payments on.

This only relates to security guards and doormen? Where these guys employed as security/door staff?

No it relates to any private secyrity employee in Ireland , Read the act

• Registered Users Posts: 25,396 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No it relates to any private secyrity employee in Ireland , Read the act

Ok let me reword it, were these guys employed as security?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Why would ID have to be shown?

Surely all they need to show the occupants is a copy of the Court Order and a letter authorising the bearer of the letter to carry out the Court's order. That would be sufficient.

it wouldn't be sufficient no . they need to have identification so that if they break the law they can be prosecuted.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Because our police force, unlike other modern forces, also oversees national security and associated intelligence.

I'm not sure anyone in the UK would be too keen on an Irish Garda heading up MI5, I wouldn't blame them, and I'd hardly call them paranoid for having real concern about that.

What is this 'national security' info that you're afraid Drew Harris might pass on to MI5? Everyone knows that Bertie never had a bank account and that the Nuclear bunker is under the Costume Barracks in Athlone https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/in-pictures-inside-irelands-secret-vip-nuclear-bunker-36285102.html .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Keyword there is "your", 'your" house. The premises had nothing to do with those removed, they never had any sort of entitlement to enter,, never mind stay.

You seem to be very concerned about the non existent law that they had to show ID over the actual legal requirement that those inside were court ordered to leave.

I posted yesterday that the law you, and many others, are still trying to claim was broken doesn't apply here. Even the company that issues such licenses had to clarify that today but yet members of Sinn Fein and those that were kicked out tried to claim they acted illegally by not displaying id.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I am sure that when the Gardai have recovered from being battered and bruised by idiotic protesters committing multiple offences that they will follow up on a missing tax disc.

I did not see any Gardaí being "battered and bruised", did you? Do you have any proof?

Not your ornery onager

Hurrache wrote: »
    Keyword there is "your", 'your" house. The premises had nothing to do with those removed, they never had any sort of entitlement to enter,, never mind stay.

You seem to be very concerned about the non existent law that they had to show ID over the actual legal requirement that those inside were court ordered to leave.

I posted yesterday that the law you, and many others, are still trying to claim was broken doesn't apply here. Even the company that issues such licenses had to clarify that today but yet members of Sinn Fein and those that were kicked out tried to claim they acted illegally by not displaying id.

well, if sf and others causing a storm over these hired goons brings change such as them hopefully being regulated under the PSA like they should, then what's the problem with that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭opfleet

The gardai have no way of knowing if an english vehicle is taxed.
    That's where your wrong...All they have to do is send an email with the reg to the police and they get a reply very quickly.

My own opinion on this sh** is that the "protesters" had trespassed on a private property and should have been taken out very quickly.
    The Guards had there faces covered..So what? Many have had there faces put up on social media and have been named for just doing their job. If this happened in France, Russia or the USA them protesters would have been water cannoned and sprayed..Its about time we put away with the political correctness and properly control law and order. If the guards were not there, the evictors would have been attacked and then the talk would be "well where were the Gardai"..So for all of you with the Garda bashing attitude....Grow up and if you really care about these social issues then why not donate a sum every week to the charity...

opfleet wrote: »
    My own opinion on this sh** is that the "protesters" had trespassed on a private property and should have been taken out very quickly.
    The Guards had there faces covered..So what? Many have had there faces put up on social media and have been named for just doing their job. If this happened in France, Russia or the USA them protesters would have been water cannoned and sprayed..Its about time we put away with the political correctness and properly control law and order. If the guards were not there, the evictors would have been attacked and then the talk would be "well where were the Gardai"..So for all of you with the Garda bashing attitude....Grow up and if you really care about these social issues then why not donate a sum every week to the charity...

political correctness, controling law and order and protecting identity isn't relevant to this. the balaclavas the gardai had covering their faces at this operation are required to be worn in conjunction with a helmet, and such equipment is worn where there is an actual risk of harm. it is not worn to protect identity, otherwise it would be worn all the time. if there was an actual risk of harm then helmets would have been worn along with the balaclava.
    so, not grow up at all, as there is nothing to grow up to or fore in relation to this. the criticisms of the gardai are legitimate, and by the looks of it the garda commissioner seems to agree. as for the evictors being attacked, there is nothing to say that would have happened.

as for the evictors being attacked, there is nothing to say that would have happened.
    If you really believe that the situation was not going to escalate then you are not very street wise...Gardai were certainly required and given that some of the protesters were injured by the use of force...With all the cameras I would assume that they used force as a last option.

If you really believe that the situation was not going to escalate then you are not very street wise...Gardai were certainly required and given that some of the protesters were injured by the use of force...With all the cameras I would assume that they used force as a last option.

garda always attend evictions. that has always been the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

garda always attend evictions. that has always been the case.

the public order unit always attend evictions?

the public order unit always attend evictions?

i don't know about the public order unit but as far as i understand it is procedure for gardai to be at an eviction in some form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

end of the road, yes, Gardaí always attend, but it's usually 2/3 members. When I was a Garda, I've attended a few, and 99.9% of the time they go off without incident, thus the requirement for 2/3. If i'm not mistaken, the same was sent to this place, but it was deemed more were required, and then the Public Order Unit attended. Obviously they were needed, because all I'm reading about is how the heavy handed Gardaí working for the evictors were there.

Let me tell you, if I was still a member, I would also cover my face. I was at the water protests, the 'peaceful' ones. There is nothing peaceful about them. Peaceful is not people roaring abuse in your face and expecting you to just take it. Peaceful is not resisting. Peaceful allows work and duties to be carried out without interruption. The water protests were far from peaceful, which is why someone was always arrested. The Gardaí do have better things to be doing, but because the public cannot be trusted to do an actual peaceful protest, they have to attend to prevent other people from being assaulted while simply doing their job. Also, if i'm not mistaken, they were still wearing their shoulder numbers, so there is enough identity if required.

And they are covering their faces now because, as opfleet stated above, the Gardaí who were sent to the Water Protests were having their names and personal addresses and details plastered all over Facebook and other social media because some crusty got offended that they weren't allowed to do what they wanted. Personal lives of those Gardaí were affected and they were just doing as directed. I personally know of 3 who had to get a transfer and move their lives away because of these 'peaceful' protestors. And none of the 3 did anything wrong, but someone decided to make them scapegoats for the lies that they were sprouting.

These protestors got a Court Order to leave and they didn't. Of course they were going to be removed forcefully. Why wouldn't they? If it was your house, would you be ok if the Gardaí said 'Ah, they're not cooperating, so we'll just leave them there'. No, of course you wouldn't. I couldn't care about the reason they were there, it was an illegal protest that involved trespassing. The fact it had to go to a court order to remove them is an indication of how soft this country has become. They should have been removed by force the night they went in.

I will never work as a Garda again, and if anyone asks me, I put them off the idea of it. The public are against the Gardaí regardless of how that Garda performs. I never arrested or summonsed/ticketed anyone for something they didn't deserve. I had enough to do as it was without adding on unnecessary work. I actively worked towards promoting a positive image, one that showed that we were human too, and approachable. I posed for photos, helped people, gave people chances. But I was still lumped in with the bad apples, and there were only a few of them, you get them in every job, AGS is not immune from this. No matter what I did, it didn't matter. Just because I was wearing the uniform, I was automatically tagged as corrupt, physically violent (i'm not, i'm only 5'6" and average, if not overweight at the time), scumbag.

No one except serving and ex-members know what it's like on that side of the fence. Not even family members of Gardaí know. They've been told, but they didn't experience it. It's a horrible experience. Lots of the members there possibly felt the same about the homeless issue, but their job was there to protect the peace, which was being broken by protestors thinking they are staging a peaceful protest, when in fact all they were doing is breaking the law. Their hearts might be in the right place, their actions are completely wrong.

So it's easy for anyone to sit back and judge actions made in a split second, or in a short amount of time. But no-one can know what it's like unless you've lived it.

end of the road, yes, Gardaí always attend, but it's usually 2/3 members. When I was a Garda, I've attended a few, and 99.9% of the time they go off without incident, thus the requirement for 2/3. If i'm not mistaken, the same was sent to this place, but it was deemed more were required, and then the Public Order Unit attended. Obviously they were needed, because all I'm reading about is how the heavy handed Gardaí working for the evictors were there.

Let me tell you, if I was still a member, I would also cover my face. I was at the water protests, the 'peaceful' ones. There is nothing peaceful about them. Peaceful is not people roaring abuse in your face and expecting you to just take it. Peaceful is not resisting. Peaceful allows work and duties to be carried out without interruption. The water protests were far from peaceful, which is why someone was always arrested. The Gardaí do have better things to be doing, but because the public cannot be trusted to do an actual peaceful protest, they have to attend to prevent other people from being assaulted while simply doing their job. Also, if i'm not mistaken, they were still wearing their shoulder numbers, so there is enough identity if required.

And they are covering their faces now because, as opfleet stated above, the Gardaí who were sent to the Water Protests were having their names and personal addresses and details plastered all over Facebook and other social media because some crusty got offended that they weren't allowed to do what they wanted. Personal lives of those Gardaí were affected and they were just doing as directed. I personally know of 3 who had to get a transfer and move their lives away because of these 'peaceful' protestors. And none of the 3 did anything wrong, but someone decided to make them scapegoats for the lies that they were sprouting.

These protestors got a Court Order to leave and they didn't. Of course they were going to be removed forcefully. Why wouldn't they? If it was your house, would you be ok if the Gardaí said 'Ah, they're not cooperating, so we'll just leave them there'. No, of course you wouldn't. I couldn't care about the reason they were there, it was an illegal protest that involved trespassing. The fact it had to go to a court order to remove them is an indication of how soft this country has become. They should have been removed by force the night they went in.

I will never work as a Garda again, and if anyone asks me, I put them off the idea of it. The public are against the Gardaí regardless of how that Garda performs. I never arrested or summonsed/ticketed anyone for something they didn't deserve. I had enough to do as it was without adding on unnecessary work. I actively worked towards promoting a positive image, one that showed that we were human too, and approachable. I posed for photos, helped people, gave people chances. But I was still lumped in with the bad apples, and there were only a few of them, you get them in every job, AGS is not immune from this. No matter what I did, it didn't matter. Just because I was wearing the uniform, I was automatically tagged as corrupt, physically violent (i'm not, i'm only 5'6" and average, if not overweight at the time), scumbag.

No one except serving and ex-members know what it's like on that side of the fence. Not even family members of Gardaí know. They've been told, but they didn't experience it. It's a horrible experience. Lots of the members there possibly felt the same about the homeless issue, but their job was there to protect the peace, which was being broken by protestors thinking they are staging a peaceful protest, when in fact all they were doing is breaking the law. Their hearts might be in the right place, their actions are completely wrong.

So it's easy for anyone to sit back and judge actions made in a split second, or in a short amount of time. But no-one can know what it's like unless you've lived it.

the gardai's identity isn't the issue, i have already said they were identifiable. it's the shadowy masked men which is the focus of my concern. also, given the gardai weren't wearing their helmets as required as part of their balaclava, then it obviously wasn't necessary, otherwise they would have worn the helmet as required. the comments from the garda commissioner today seem to suggest the same thing. having it go to a court order is nothing to do with being soft, it's just the way it's done and i'd suggest it's a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

the gardai's identity isn't the issue, i have already said they were identifiable. it's the shadowy masked men which is the focus of my concern. also, given the gardai weren't wearing their helmets as required as part of their balaclava, then it obviously wasn't necessary, otherwise they would have worn the helmet as required. the comments from the garda commissioner today seem to suggest the same thing. having it go to a court order is nothing to do with being soft, it's just the way it's done and i'd suggest it's a good thing.

Seriously you support ira/Sinn Féin and you condemn this!!!!!!!!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

dont feed it for gods sake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭baldshin

having it go to a court order is nothing to do with being soft, it's just the way it's done and i'd suggest it's a good thing.

How is it a good thing?? If someone broke in to your house, and decided to live and sleep in your spare room, would you expect to go get a court order to remove them, or would you expect the Gardaí to come forcibly remove them?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,799 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

You missed my point. Their faces were covered not because they were worried that someone might throw fire at them, they just don't want their faces plastered all over social media with unsubstantiated accusations, ones which affect their personal lives simply for being sent to prevent a breach of the peace. Yes, Harris said blah blah blah, but he wasn't around for the water protests, so he didn't see what happened because of that.

Again, the Gardaí were wearing their shoulder numbers, so I see no harm with them wanting to hide their faces from an angry mob who like to dish out social justice, whether it be right or wrong.

As for the heavies, we don't know who they were, so there's no point speculating on them. Most likely private security hired by the landlord to carry out duties assigned by the landlord. I don't know all the details, so were they involved in the removal of the person therein? Or just there? Anyway, until we know who they were, there's nothing to speculate about.

And it should never have gone to a court order. That's the last line, they were trespassing and having to get a court order was pandering to the masses, making it out to be something more than it is. They should have been removed, by force if necessary and in accordance with the law. It's the same with travellers parking up on public roads or private property. We pander to them by requiring a court order to remove them, when there is already law there to move them.

You missed my point. Their faces were covered not because they were worried that someone might throw fire at them, they just don't want their faces plastered all over social media with unsubstantiated accusations, ones which affect their personal lives simply for being sent to prevent a breach of the peace. Yes, Harris said blah blah blah, but he wasn't around for the water protests, so he didn't see what happened because of that.

Again, the Gardaí were wearing their shoulder numbers, so I see no harm with them wanting to hide their faces from an angry mob who like to dish out social justice, whether it be right or wrong.

As for the heavies, we don't know who they were, so there's no point speculating on them. Most likely private security hired by the landlord to carry out duties assigned by the landlord. I don't know all the details, so were they involved in the removal of the person therein? Or just there? Anyway, until we know who they were, there's nothing to speculate about.

And it should never have gone to a court order. That's the last line, they were trespassing and having to get a court order was pandering to the masses, making it out to be something more than it is. They should have been removed, by force if necessary and in accordance with the law. It's the same with travellers parking up on public roads or private property. We pander to them by requiring a court order to remove them, when there is already law there to move them.

the equipment is for protection from people throwing dangerous things at their faces. it's not to protect their identity. if the commissioner says they weren't supposed to wear the equipment in that situation, or if they needed to wear it, wear the full equipment, then that is the rule and it is non-negotiable. they weren't wearing the helmet as required, therefore clearly there was no danger from people throwing potentially firey things at their faces, therefore they should not have been covering their faces.
    the water protests are irrelevant, whether the commissioner was around or not for those protests is irrelevant. he is the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

is this harris throwing the lads under the bus at the first sight of trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

is this harris throwing the lads under the bus at the first sight of trouble?

Not before time a large % weren't fcuked under a bus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's hard to believe it's four years ago now,but I hope this particular Sergeant has been promoted or recognised in some way for maintaining his composure and professionalism in the face of ignorance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSn-9zzMxIU

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement