Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Invisible Women

• 28-08-2015 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

The age old problem of women who disappear when they marry and change their name. I have been searching for a woman for years who became a widow in 1913. The rumour in the family is that she remarried and lived with her new family in England. I don't know her second married name and I don't know where in England she lived after she left Dublin. I don't know when or where she died. I am looking for advice as to how I should search on Ancestry. When I enter her maiden name, let's say for argument's sake.....Anne Kennedy......it gives me hundreds of Kennedys but nothing that matches because she married in 1910 and became, say.....Anne Webster........again I get hundreds of Websters but nothing matching her first names. So then she becomes a widow in 1913 and remarries and becomes.....Anne ? I search the Irish records and the UK records. I've tried searching for Anne Kennedy, Anne Webster, Anne Kennedy Webster, Anne Webster Kennedy, and no joy, not at least on the first 3-4 pages of results. I've entered her father's name, her first husband's name. Zilch! Anything else I should be trying?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lbud

Was she RC? Any chance the entry for her baptism in the parish register includes a reference to a later marriage? You know the way people have to get letters of freedom (or whatever they're called) from their home parish?
    Search the newspaper death notices. Even if you don't find hers, you might find a relative's and she might be mentioned in it.
    And look for her and her family in the Probate Calendars for Ireland and the UK. She might be mentioned as executor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for responding. Family was a mixture of CoI and RC. 'Anne' was married in a CoI parish. Her parents were married in a CoI parish but her brothers were baptised in an RC parish. All very confusing. I don't know if her second husband was Irish or English or what religion but nothing is turning up anywhere. The family were dirt poor so although I have checked wills anyway, nothing turns up there either. Also checked Irish Newspapers when I used to have a sub. but nothing there either. I'm destined for disappointment, I know. I have a tree on Ancestry with tons of hints for others branches of the tree, but nothing brings hints into this branch, only tumbleweeds!

Edit: Of course I have only been researching her maiden name, and her first married name, so if there are records with her second married name I wouldn't have a clue what to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭montgo

Have you tried FreeBMD?
    Unless she has an unusual name, it will be tough to locate a marriage for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks. Tried BMD and got four records, three are too early, and the fourth seems to fit into the time frame all right. I will send off for that and fingers crossed this could be the one. :)

Advertisement