Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Death Cert from the NYC Municipal Archives

Options
  • 12-08-2015 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭

This is certainly one for Coolnabacky but anyone else please do chime in, any and all advice will be gratefully received.

I went here:

https://www1.nyc.gov/dorforms/death.htm

and ordered a search for this:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2W6Y-FJ2

I sent the online search request on the 24th of July, total cost $22. Just yesterday I got an envelope in the post from their office and was baffled to find a letter inside stating the following:

"This is to certify that a search was made of the records and the following name was not found." Name: James McGuigan; Years searched: 1897; Records searched: Death; Borough searched: Manhattan :confused:

Hmmm, where did I go wrong? I note from the letter that I wrote McGuigan correctly, with the first 'g' as a capital. The real record, according to FS has it as a small 'g'. Could it be that simple?

The 'event date' - is that the date of death or the date of registration? Could it have been registered early 1898 and that's the reason no record was found?

Tbh I feel like I've been duped out of $22, or do I only have myself to blame? I note this form requests an individual record with a cert number, as opposed to a search:

https://www1.nyc.gov/dorforms/deathcert.htm

Is this where I went wrong? Should I try again using the 'cn number' off the FS page - cn 35604? Is that the number the NYC Municipal website is seeking?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭VirginiaB

I am NYC Irish American and have ordered many certs from NYC. The most reliable way to get a cert is to send the cert number--the thing called 'cn' on your FHL record. Also, most of us use the Italian Genealogical Group website as well to find the cert number. It's all New Yorkers, not just Italians. This site won't let me post the URL as this is my first post--I joined in order to answer your question. But just Google the name of the site I gave.

What probably happened was a spelling/handwriting issue with the name you supplied. And maybe the clerk was tired. Again, the cert number is the key to success. Here's what I suggest:

Write the info you included in your post in a letter. Put the cert number at the top and bottom and highlight in yellow. Explain just what happened. $22 is a lot of money and they should send you the cert. If you can find an email address for them, you could start that way. Otherwise, thru postal mail.

For the future, it is easier and cheaper to get the film and read it at a FHL site near you, if there is one. Only $7.50 to rent the film.

Good luck, VirginiaB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

VirginiaB wrote:
    Write the info you included in your post in a letter. Put the cert number at the top and bottom and highlight in yellow. Explain just what happened. $22 is a lot of money and they should send you the cert. If you can find an email address for them, you could start that way. Otherwise, thru postal mail.

VirginiaB wrote:
    For the future, it is easier and cheaper to get the film and read it at a FHL site near you, if there is one. Only $7.50 to rent the film.

VirginiaB wrote:
    Good luck, VirginiaB

Thanks ever so much Virginia, I really appreciate it. I'll give it all a go, let you know how I get on. :-)

As for the Dublin FHL - we've had issues regarding that place in the past, and I'm not sure if they were ever resolved. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

mod9maple - can I ask how you (successfully) paid for the cert? I tried to order a cert from there (I had the cert number) but it wouldn't accept my Irish Visa credit card, or a relative's UK credit card I also tried. I got the following email from their system:
    <<snip>@records.nyc.gov> wrote:
    Your payment has been DECLINED by the card issuing bank. Your credit card will not be billed.

The response from the card issuing bank was: Authorization declined, AVS filter failed.

There are a few possible reasons for this declined payment, including:

1) There are insufficient funds available on the credit card used to make this payment
    a) Return to the payment application used to make this payment
    b) If you have another credit card, enter your payment details again
    c) Click the 'Submit' or 'Order' button once again
    d) If you believe the limit to be adequate on your credit card, you may wish to contact your card issuing bank

2) Your card did not pass the card issuing bank's Address Verification Service (AVS) or Security Code validation
    a) Return to the payment application used to make this payment
    b) Validate your billing address information and/or Security Code information and enter your payment details again

3) The application through which you made this purchase does not accept your type of credit card
    a) Return to the payment application used to make this payment and verify the acceptable credit card types
    b) If you have an alternate type of credit card - enter this information

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

p15574 wrote:
    mod9maple - can I ask how you (successfully) paid for the cert?

Hi p. A PTSB/Visa Debit card. It went through no problem with an immediate email confirming purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

mod9maple wrote: »
    Hi p. A PTSB/Visa Debit card. It went through no problem with an immediate email confirming purchase.

Ah - maybe I should try a debit card instead. Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement