Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for some help around 1820s Co. Louth

• 25-05-2015 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭

James Oaks 1826 - 1910 Carpenter from Louth
    Mary Oaks 1827 - ???? Spouse (maiden name, date of marriage, Date of death unknown)
    Thomas Oaks 1870 - ???? Son
    Anne Oaks 1877 - 1920 Daughter Married to Francis Larkin 1883 - 1960 (4 kids including my grandmother)

I can't find any information for Mary or Thomas or anything for James above his DOB which is Family supplied information.

Any ideas where to look ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

start with the son and daughter - what denomination, his birth / baptism etc

is this the son (b c1866) in 1901 ?

Do you have Anne and her husband on the census returns ?

closest matches I see on the BMD index for the two children are

Thomas Oakes, 1866, Dundalk
    Thomas Oats, 1867, Drogheda
    Anne Oaks, 1872, Dundalk (duplicate entry for this - same page numbers)
    Mary Ann Oaks, 1874, Dundalk
    Mary Anne Oats, 1875, Drogheda (poss. duplicate entry for this too..)

(Thomas 1864 to 1877, for Anne 1870 to 1882)

It might be possible to eliminate a few of these via the extracted births on FamilySearch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Don't think that's the son (Mother Eliza).

I've never been able to find them on any outlets, the information was just what my grandmother told my mother about 40 years ago - was written down, so information is as told.

Do you have a cert or church record for the the marriage of Anne and Francis ?

I had a very quick look but didn't spot it...

these are the extracted civil births on familysearch (which do not cover all births) that I see in Co. Louth with Surname Oaks, and father James see : here

nothing a perfect match, i.e. where mother's name is Mary, but something to start off with. I'd allow quite a wide leeway with regard to date of births for Thomas and Anne - at least 10 years either way..

(the place of birth on these is often a district or subdistrict)

• Advertisement

Don't have any certs at all Shane, Just family information. I can't find anything on them at all apart from Francis in the census. All I know is my Grandmother naming them.

I suppose she may have got the names wrong... :(

I'd start with the most recent events you know the details of then - when and where were the children of Anne and Francis born ?

next step then would be to work back to their marriage, see if the locations and witnesses etc provide clues...

p.s. you mentioned Francis on the Census - did you find him with Anne ?

Thanks. Will give that a go.

I took out a months subscription to Ancestry last week & the English side of the family was very simple to do, all came streaming in. Shame it's not complete here.

James and Mary could have been born or even married before the start of parish records in their area, but you should be able to establish some leads with the census entries, marriages and births/baptisms for Thomas and Anne

was one of the children of Francis and Anne born in Dublin in 1910 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 BrogalaBridie

Could this be James, Thomas & Anne? Sorry new user so cannot post links:

1901 census, Co Louth, Rathcor, Ballynamaghery - House number 10 - surname given as Oakes

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BrogalaBridie

Also similar area 1911 census - Co Louth, Rathcor, Castlecarragh house 48:

Thomas OAkes, Lizzie OAkes (wife) and Rose Eglestown visitor

1901 census, Co Louth, Rathcor, Ballynamaghery - House number 10 - surname given as Oakes

that location looks very familiar - same area (DED) as the link I suggested for Thomas.

links to those two census returns - looks v. promising, the 1901 shows James as a Carpenter, and the Thomas Oakes shown in 1911 is also a carpenter. Looks like James may have died in 1901, with reported age of 70.

Oakes household Ballynamaghery townland - 1901

Oakes household Csatlecarragh townland - 1911

here's the index entry for the possible marriage I mentioned

Name: Francis Larkin
    Registration Quarter and Year : Apr-Jun 1909
    Registration district: Dublin North
    Volume: 2 / Page : 515

One of the names with the same references is an Anne Oakes

shanew wrote: »
    was one of the children of Francis and Anne born in Dublin in 1910 ?

Yes, I think my Grand Aunt Mary was Born around then. My grandmother was born in 1916 & was the second eldest & mary "raised her" (& the others) after their mother died

Yes, that looks like them. Thanks.
    Also similar area 1911 census - Co Louth, Rathcor, Castlecarragh house 48:

Thomas OAkes, Lizzie OAkes (wife) and Rose Eglestown visitor

That works out too. I was looking in the wrong place altogether
    links to those two census returns - looks v. promising, the 1901 shows James as a Carpenter, and the Thomas Oakes shown in 1911 is also a carpenter. Looks like James may have died in 1901, with reported age of 70.

Oakes household Ballynamaghery townland - 1901

Oakes household Csatlecarragh townland - 1911

Oooohhh... Where did you get James's death from ?
    here's the index entry for the possible marriage I mentioned

Name: Francis Larkin
    Registration Quarter and Year : Apr-Jun 1909
    Registration district: Dublin North
    Volume: 2 / Page : 515

One of the names with the same references is an Anne Oakes

That's them. Thank you.

Guys, you're awesome. Thanks for solving that. Is there any way to get more info about James - Wife, parents etc or sometimes is that as good as we get ?

OU812 wrote: »
    ......... Where did you get James's death from ?

The likely death I mentioned for James is this one from the BMD Index - might be worth following up to to see is any additional family are mentioned besides the two you already know about :

Name: James Oakes
    Event Type: Death
    Quarter & Year: Apr - Jun 1901
    Registration District: Dundalk
    Reported Age: 70 (est. year of birth 1831)
    Volume : 2 / Page : 639
    OU812 wrote: »
    ...Is there any way to get more info about James - Wife, parents etc or sometimes is that as good as we get ?

I think the next step would be to try to find births/baptisms for either or both of the children, maybe try certs for a few of those extracted birth records, not just those name Thomas or Anne, to see if a familiar location (Castlecarragh, Ballynamaghery or somewhere nearby) or father occupation of Carpenter or similar shows up.

Another approach might be a search for a death for 'Mary'. There are a number of Oakes/Oaks deaths before 1901 in the same area (Dundalk district) for females of about the right age, but no Mary that I saw

p.s. forgot to mention, the two townlands mentioned for the family on the census are both in the same area in the south of the Cooley Peninsula, so the first parish to check is Cooley RC parish aka Carlingford South.

Advertisement