Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aerial for DVB-T USB Stick

Options
  • 01-12-2018 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I got one of those Hauppauge USB sticks, a ministick I think it is called so I can pickup the saorview stations on my PC. Anyway it came with a single extendable antenna that I can use as an aerial but as I had a One4all amplified digital aerial that cost about €40, one with a loop and two telescopic aerials I thought this would be better. The problem with the One4All was I could get 4 of the 6 stations I use when the aerial was placed in a certain position, to get the other two stations(Rte1 + vir3 I think) I had to move the aerial which meant the other 4 stations(RTE2, TG4, Vir1 + 2) were gone. This was a nuisance so I tried the aerial that came with the USB stick, a non amplified extendable single aerial. To my surprise this aerial picked up all the stations(using WinTV for both scenarios) just fine without having to move the aerial about. I cannot understand this, how a single unamplified aerial is better than the One4All amplified digital aerial. This also got me thinking, on the One4All aerial there is a loop and 2 telescopic aerials, is the loop for one sort of reception(digital) and the 2 telescopic aerials for another, say analogue or how is it supposed to work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Don't be fooled by so called 'amplified' aerials. These sort of amplifiers are a bit of a con as they cannot improve a poor signal. The signal has to be pretty decent in the first place for amplification on an indoor aerial to have any noticeable effect. Regarding telescopic aerials and a loop they basically do the same job i.e. receive signals from a transmitter. BTW there is no such thing as a 'digital aerial'. All aerials are simply aerials and if analogue was still being broadcast they would pick up the signal the same as they do with digital. Only differences in aerials are their brand, indoor or outdoor, their strength i.e. how many elements and whether they are grouped or wideband. All indoor aerials afaik are wideband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

Drakus wrote: »
    ... on the One4All aerial there is a loop and 2 telescopic aerials, is the loop for one sort of reception(digital) and the 2 telescopic aerials for another, say analogue or how is it supposed to work.

The loop part would be for the UHF band, where the TV signals are, & the rods for VHF, which is used by FM (analogue) & DAB (digital) radio.

Advertisement