Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying House / Notice period for current Landlord

• 11-10-2018 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Apologies if this has already been covered here:

My wife and I have recently gone sale agreed on a property and are in the process of transferring over the booking fee to the Estate Agent. I understand there are a lot of other boxes to be ticked before we actually get the keys but my question is this:

When should I notify my landlord of our intent to vacate our current property? I would be wary about doing it before we are confident of a date when we will be able to move into the new house.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Speak to him and see if he'd be open to as short a notice period as possible.

There are minimum notice periods depending on the length of the tenancy, but he may be happy to ignore that.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notice-periods-that-a-landlord-should-give/

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RisingDamp

amcalester wrote: »
    Speak to him and see if he'd be open to as short a notice period as possible.

There are minimum notice periods depending on the length of the tenancy, but he may be happy to ignore that.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/ending-a-tenancy/notice-periods-that-a-landlord-should-give/

Perfect thanks for that. We have a good relationship with the landlord so that might be the way to go!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Give yourself as much time as possible. these things drag out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭3DataModem

RisingDamp wrote: »
    Apologies if this has already been covered here:

My wife and I have recently gone sale agreed on a property and are in the process of transferring over the booking fee to the Estate Agent. I understand there are a lot of other boxes to be ticked before we actually get the keys but my question is this:

When should I notify my landlord of our intent to vacate our current property? I would be wary about doing it before we are confident of a date when we will be able to move into the new house.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you have a good relationship with him, let him know the story, could be 8-10 weeks or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

A complete aside but Sale Agreed can easily fall through. Keep looking at other houses.

• Advertisement
Advertisement