Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

It goes Tree cutting - poles - groundwork - pole marking - cabling - distribution boxes.

They trimmed the trees on my road in December, replaced the poles this month, it says first half 2018 on eircode look up and autum winter on the map, id say id be lucky to get it in autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

Did anyone else get a mail from some voxpopme crowd offering an Amazon voucher for providing feedback on FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

long_b wrote: »
    Did anyone else get a mail from some voxpopme crowd offering an Amazon voucher for providing feedback on FTTH?

Probably spam or affiliate linking crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

long_b wrote: »

I got it yesterday. Looking for a video review of FTTH in return for an Amazon voucher. I did not do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭long_b

I got it yesterday. Looking for a video review of FTTH in return for an Amazon voucher. I did not do it.

The company looks kosher but the email says €20 voucher in one place but €10 later on in the mail.

May do it just to tell them to ditch the terrible F2000

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Technically none, the modem in an FTTH setup is the ONT ;)

For most users who aren't interested in DD/Open/Mikrotik etc Netgear are still a valid choice as much as some will roll their eyes at that name. I find the TP Link WebUI strongly inferior to Netgears "Genie" interface.

Alternatively Google Wifi and Airport Extreme are solid units for people invested in their relative ecosystems.

If you're on >500Mb packages I'd be aiming for at least one decent access point so you're always close to a 5Ghz transmitter to get full use of the connection.

Can you list ones that will work? The kngroup guys installed me today and said they couldn't give me the modem as it wasn't listed on the order. I was like wtf why not

Now waiting on one to be sent out by eir

I doubled money on an archer vr400 and it's useless now I think

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Eir recently fitted a large black box on a pole near me connected to the underground fibre.

Does anyone know if this is exclusively for Eir? I don't need fibre to the house but it would reduce my copper from 500m to about 50 if I could connect to the new box. I am with Vodafone.

Nothing is exclusive to eir, but Vodafone are not offering FTTH thru eir
    Plus that wouldn't reduce your copper if it is fibre they are installing - you will still be connected to the exchange/cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Discodog wrote: »
    Eir recently fitted a large black box on a pole near me connected to the underground fibre.

Does anyone know if this is exclusively for Eir? I don't need fibre to the house but it would reduce my copper from 500m to about 50 if I could connect to the new box. I am with Vodafone.

Your options are change provider or stay as you are.
    M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Can you list ones that will work? The kngroup guys installed me today and said they couldn't give me the modem as it wasn't listed on the order. I was like wtf why not

Now waiting on one to be sent out by eir

I doubled money on an archer vr400 and it's useless now I think

The router should have arrived by post in advance if Im not mistaken.

If you're in a rush almost any cable router will do. All you need to do is be sure its WAN to LAN performance is greater than your package (so if you're on 350Mb dont get something that only manages 200 WAN to LAN).

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3609051/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm
    Thats an entry level unit thats good for 600Mb or less packages. Wifi will be more in the 150Mb range max.

When you get to the €150-200 level you need to do your own homework really.

fritzelly wrote: »
    Nothing is exclusive to eir, but Vodafone are not offering FTTH thru eir
    Plus that wouldn't reduce your copper if it is fibre they are installing - you will still be connected to the exchange/cabinet

I am not looking for FTTH. If my copper line was connected to the new box, the copper part would be 450 metres shorter than it is now.

Vodafone say that it's probably time limited in that Eir get exclusivity for a period.

• Advertisement

Lots of companies offering FTTH
    http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

If you are on copper then you will be connected to the exchange or a cabinet not to any fibre ergo your copper line will still be the same length. It wouldn't just go to a pole and then be connected to a fibre line.

edit
    Once at the cabinet then it can go thru fibre to the exchange

fritzelly wrote: »
    Lots of companies offering FTTH
    http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

If you are on copper then you will be connected to the exchange or a cabinet not to any fibre ergo your copper line will still be the same length. It wouldn't just go to a pole and then be connected to a fibre line.

So you are saying that the box on the pole is only fibre in & fibre out. You can't connect copper to it?

Your options are change provider or stay as you are.

The router should have arrived by post in advance if Im not mistaken.

If you're in a rush almost any cable router will do. All you need to do is be sure its WAN to LAN performance is greater than your package (so if you're on 350Mb dont get something that only manages 200 WAN to LAN).

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3609051/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/Trail/searchtext%3EROUTER.htm
    Thats an entry level unit thats good for 600Mb or less packages. Wifi will be more in the 150Mb range max.

When you get to the €150-200 level you need to do your own homework really.

That TP-LINK won't do VLAN tagging AFAIK.

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?83348-how-to-configure-VLAN-Tp-Link-archer-c2

I think we need a thread with a list of known working routers.

So you are saying that the box on the pole is only fibre in & fibre out. You can't connect copper to it?

Yes fibre only.

That TP-LINK won't do VLAN tagging AFAIK.

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?83348-how-to-configure-VLAN-Tp-Link-archer-c2

I think we need a thread with a list of known working routers.

Well spotted, I was sure they'd implemented it but checking even the better models still lack it. F'sake.

Asus for example:
    https://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_IPTV_Content.html

Maintaining a list of models with tagging support could be a right pain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It would need to be powered and have equipment in it, to do what you want it to do.

That black box is a passive fiber distribution point. Copper doesn't get anywhere near it. It won't change anything for your copper situation.

/M

Well spotted, I was sure they'd implemented it but checking even the better models still lack it. F'sake.

I raised a ticket with TP-Link on that a while ago. You have to go quite far up in the models, before they support VLan tagging on the Wan side with their routers.

Can't remember, what model it was.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Asus for example:
    https://event.asus.com/2012/nw/dummy_ui/en/Advanced_IPTV_Content.html

Maintaining a list of models with tagging support could be a right pain though.

DD-WRT
    might support VLANs if flashed onto it

KeRbDoG wrote: »

DD-WRT
    might support VLANs if flashed onto it

Unfortunately not on every platform. It depends on the chipset in the router.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

I seen them running underground cables outside our house. The cables are looped and cable tied to the pole. I presume waiting on connecting. Anyone a rough idea how far away we are now ? I have mobile broadband with Eir and the caps are speed are terrible!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Why would one need vlan tagging in a domestic setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Dev84 wrote: »
    Why would one need vlan tagging in a domestic setting?

The ONT tags the traffic towards the CPE with VLAN 10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

digiman wrote: »
    The ONT tags the traffic towards the CPE with VLAN 10

Fair enough. So vlan10 is the default vlan?

What i should have asked was why would one need more that 1 vlan in a domestic setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

What i should have asked was why would one need more that 1 vlan in a domestic setting?

It's not a default VLAN as such that you hear of in Cisco books but it is the VLAN that both Eir and SIRO use for their FTTH.

For domestic services you don't need more than 1 VLAN on the WAN side port if connected to an ONT. If you wanted to separate traffic on your own internal network then you may wish to use more than one VLAN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Plugged in my TP Link N600, thought it might just 'work' but no.....how do i set it up?

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Plugged in my TP Link N600, thought it might just 'work' but no.....how do i set it up?

Return it. As picked up by Navi above you can't use it (unless you flash it, and it happens to be the right model/chipset).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Return it. As picked up by Navi above you can't use it (unless you flash it, and it happens to be the right model/chipset).

No sorry, it's my original router that I had for Ripplecom.

The reason, they use Vlan tagging (and this applies both to VDSL/FTTC, FTTH on OpenEIR and FTTH on SIRO), is that you can have dedicated VLans for other services like VoIP and TV.

When the provider takes the option for the additonal Vlan for VoIP for example, then the VoIP Vlans isn't throttled to package speed and works, even when the internet connection is fully loaded.

If the provider chooses to run VoIP in-band, then it's considered best effort.

That's the reason for Vlan tagging on modern broadband circuits.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭dollylama

Marlow wrote: »
    The reason, they use Vlan tagging (and this applies both to VDSL/FTTC, FTTH on OpenEIR and FTTH on SIRO), is that you can have dedicated VLans for other services like VoIP and TV.

When the provider takes the option for the additonal Vlan for VoIP for example, then the VoIP Vlans isn't throttled to package speed and works, even when the internet connection is fully loaded.

If the provider chooses to run VoIP in-band, then it's considered best effort.

That's the reason for Vlan tagging on modern broadband circuits.

/M

This is interesting

Does this mean the "throttle" is set within the ONT on the wall... as in 2.5 Gbps is always available operator end of the ONT but the ONT restricts the user end (on the Internet vlan) to 150, 300 or whatever Mbps?

• Advertisement

Limiting occurs at the exchange

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement