Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir Not Fair

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

ED E wrote: »
    One of the core backbones of the internet. If your ISP is Spar, Akamai are Musgraves.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Are Eir really that bad? Currently advertising Fibre (FTTC) of up to 100mb, €40/month with calls, for 12 months. Am currently with Vodafone, getting about 70/80mb, so I would expect the same speeds, considering its the same line. Unfortunetly, never hear anything goodabout them, so wary of making the leap.

Only considering moving, due to the possibilty of Vodafone, discontuning their FTTC, and moving people over to FTTH and new contracts. Yes I know its faster, but its more expensive, and 18 months.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Are Eir really that bad? Currently advertising Fibre (FTTC) of up to 100mb, €40/month with calls, for 12 months. Am currently with Vodafone, getting about 70/80mb, so I would expect the same speeds, considering its the same line. Unfortunetly, never hear anything goodabout them, so wary of making the leap.

Only considering moving, due to the possibilty of Vodafone, discontuning their FTTC, and moving people over to FTTH and new contracts. Yes I know its faster, but its more expensive, and 18 months.
    I would contact Vodafone, if they don't give me assurance in writing that they will continue to provide their current service, I would move to Eir, just watch your back and look into EVERY bill and every letter you receive from them.
    "They could increase the fee 6 months into the contract and send you a letter giving you 15 days to a month to disconnect, if you don't read that letter you are done."
    The other problem I had with eir is their modem stopped working in two occasions, one of them I had to wait for 10 days without Internet to receive a replacement, They sent a second hand modem as a replacement after struggle with their team who were trying to convince me that I have to look into my connections and fuse and blah blah.
    I was with eir for a total of 15 years.

Edited to say: After 12 months leave them, rest assured they will jack up their price after 12 months

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

One of the core backbones of the internet. If your ISP is Spar, Akamai are Musgraves.

They're a CDN provider, and nothing to do with the backbone, or any serious network capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I would contact Vodafone, if they don't give me assurance in writing that they will continue to provide their current service, I would move to Eir, just watch your back and look into EVERY bill and every letter you receive from them.
    "They could increase the fee 6 months into the contract and send you a letter giving you 15 days to a month to disconnect, if you don't read that letter you are done."
    The other problem I had with eir is their modem stopped working in two occasions, one of them I had to wait for 10 days without Internet to receive a replacement, They sent a second hand modem as a replacement after struggle with their team who were trying to convince me that I have to look into my connections and fuse and blah blah.
    I was with eir for a total of 15 years.

Edited to say: After 12 months leave them, rest assured they will jack up their price after 12 months

The price is jacked up after 12 months. 40 to 76!

As for vodafone. Looks like they are giving no assurances services will not terminated/retired after the 31st of this month.

• Advertisement

The price is jacked up after 12 months. 40 to 76!

As for vodafone. Looks like they are giving no assurances services will not terminated/retired after the 31st of this month.
    So Join them and I am nearly sure, after 12 months something else will come up, if it didn't and you have sky, disconnect sky and within a week you can get a good deal with them including TV and Broadband

Fcuk I'm with Aldi so

That is not fair to Aldi

Spear wrote: »
    They're a CDN provider, and nothing to do with the backbone, or any serious network capacity.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Spear wrote: »
    Thank you

Oversimplified intentionally.

Only considering moving, due to the possibilty of Vodafone, discontuning their FTTC, and moving people over to FTTH and new contracts. Yes I know its faster, but its more expensive, and 18 months
    Check Airwire website, they offer more services in more places, and their rates are reasonable, I know a few people with them and they say they are good.

• Advertisement

Yes they sell it as a loss and subsidise it bundling it with their very profitable TV package. Vodafone did the same for years, resold Eircom DSL bitstream at a fiver loss a month meanwhile adding flyers to the bill to tempt customers move mobile phone to them.
    Sky is now offering FTTH in some places, hopefully that will put more pressure on other companies to provide better services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Sky is now reselling FTTH in some places, hopefully that will put more pressure on other companies to provide better services

Fixed your post. This is not real competition and does nothing for the market no matter how it's dressed up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Aye ...

a) Sky is only reselling. They don't even have their own IP network. All Sky IPs belong to BT.
    b) Sky is hardly a measurement. While they've been selling VDSL without evident cap, their contention is also pretty darn high. It's not uncommon, that you can't max your connection.
    c) Sky support isn't precisely good. I know worse examples .. (did I mention Eir retail and Vodafone ? ) .... but Sky certainly sits down there at the bottom of the pile with those.

So ..... using Sky as a standard measure ..... that isn't hard to beat.

Sky doesn't roll out any infrastructure. At all. So where they offer, anybody else is able to, too. And Sky aren't precisely the first to be there either. They just come in slowly at the end and then go marketing mad. The only thing they have going for them are the TV channels, if that's what people are after. But for broadband they actually do NIL.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sky CS is fine but Skys technical in ROI are pure useless. By far the bottom of the pile. Friendly as all hell but trained to OpenReach not OpenEir and clueless.

Sky CS is fine but Skys technical in ROI are pure useless. By far the bottom of the pile. Friendly as all hell but trained to OpenReach not OpenEir and clueless.

I don't doubt, that Sky's CS are friendly.

But they can't improve on a product, that they're not in control of from a technical point of view. And they can't sell, where it's technically not available.

That and the fact, that they're a purely sales driven business, them coming onto the playing field is hardly going to revolutionize the market place. The margins are what they are.

Right now the majority of customers are blinded by the 3-stage pricing of Eir retail for their bundles, then wonder why they end up at over 80 quid after a year. I believe that will only change with the new ownership ... maybe.

Hoping (as above) that Sky coming onto the FTTH platform will change much in the ways of the roll-out is delusional though. The only ones that can change that are providers that actual build infrastructure.

Hoping for better services is also delusional. With the wholesale pricing fixed, the margins are defined. So lower pricing can only mean worse quality service or more contention or both. Again, the wholesale pricing is outside of Sky's control.

The problem has to be fixed at the core: wholesale pricing and roll out. At least with SIRO and Virgin there is some infrastructure competition. And SIROs wholesale pricing is lower.

/M

As Three 4G can be congested some days, I checked eir coverage map and I found that I have Excellent coverage for 4G, so I bought PAYG sim card for 30 Euro from eir and put it in Huawei B525, with external antenna or in the attic, The signal strength was one to two bars of 4G and the speed was half or less of Three speed. Three signal is 3 bars of 4G most of the time, sometimes it goes down to 2 for a short period
    It is interesting that according to Three coverage Map I have outdoor only coverage, according to eir map I have Excellent coverage

The moral of the story is: never believe eir.

As Three 4G can be congested some days, I checked eir coverage map and I found that I have Excellent coverage for 4G, so I bought PAYG sim card for 30 Euro from eir and put it in Huawei B525, with external antenna or in the attic, The signal strength was one to two bars of 4G and the speed was half or less of Three speed. Three signal is 3 bars of 4G most of the time, sometimes it goes down to 2 for a short period
    It is interesting that according to Three coverage Map I have outdoor only coverage, according to eir map I have Excellent coverage

The moral of the story is: never believe eir.

You're believing the marketing. Truth is signal strength and speed on mobile are not linked. You can have 1 bar and great speeds or 5 bars and no data. It's down to how well the network is built and how heavily subscribed it is at that time in that exact area

Truth is signal strength and speed on mobile are not linked
    True
    I thought Three is slow
    Until I tried eir mobile broadband, their map is not accurate, the map shows my house in excellent signal area for 4G, there is hardly any indoor coverage, and even when I get two bars with eir "with external antenna" and two bars with Three, Three is much faster than eir

True
    I thought Three is slow
    Until I tried eir mobile broadband, their map is not accurate, the map shows my house in excellent signal area for 4G, there is hardly any indoor coverage, and even when I get two bars with eir "with external antenna" and two bars with Three, Three is much faster than eir

Even when it was Meteor, their 4G product was extremely oversubscribed bandwidth wise in Urban areas.

Around Moycullen/Oughterard I often find, that I have full signal at 4G ..... but no connectivity.

They still do better than Vodafone though.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Even when it was Meteor, their 4G product was extremely oversubscribed bandwidth wise in Urban areas.

Around Moycullen/Oughterard I often find, that I have full signal at 4G ..... but no connectivity.

They still do better than Vodafone though.

/M
    Strange, I live near Moycullen, Galway side, I had Vodafone for a week last month, stable 4 bar 4G, speed is minimum of 30 mbps at peak times and 190 to 210 early morning

• Advertisement

Strange, I live near Moycullen, Galway side, I had Vodafone for a week last month, stable 4 bar 4G, speed is minimum of 30 mbps at peak times and 190 to 210 early morning

Shh!! Don't tell your neighbours or you'll be sharing it

Anybody tried eir mobile broadband ?.

Anybody tried eir mobile broadband ?.

Can be quite contended in Urban areas. Was already the case, when it was Meteor. Fairly good in a rural setting.

Beats Vodafone most of the time.

But it still is, what it is. Mobile internet. I wouldn't call it broadband.

/M

Can be quite contended in Urban areas. Was already the case, when it was Meteor. Fairly good in a rural setting.

Beats Vodafone most of the time.

But it still is, what it is. Mobile internet. I wouldn't call it broadband.

/M
    Thank you
    Do you know if you go above 250G, what they will charge, I went to their shop and they said they will charge per mb, in their website: Out of bundle data usage will be charged at €0.02 per MB incl. VAT, that is €20 per 1GB , that can't be right. there must be a cap. I really don't trust eir.

Thank you
    Do you know if you go above 250G, what they will charge, I went to their shop and they said they will charge per mb, in their website: Out of bundle data usage will be charged at €0.02 per MB incl. VAT, that is €20 per 1GB , that can't be right. there must be a cap. I really don't trust eir.

That's correct. And they will charge. Those are the normal mobile data rates. Mobile data is expensive out of bundle.

/M

That's correct. And they will charge. Those are the normal mobile data rates. Mobile data is expensive out of bundle.

/M
    I looked in their website it says: Bill pay Mobile Broadband Out of Bundle Data Charging:
    2c per MB/€20.48 per GB
    They are the only company who does that. Vodafone will cap you at 250G and cut you off and Three will charge you to a max of XX Euro

Things are changing a bit

I checked my address on eir website, the result:

Great news!
    We can offer you the following great value bundles.

Speeds of up to 512Kb are available at your home.

Broadband + Off-Peak calls

Price Breakdown
    Price
    €34.99
    After 12 months
    €59.99
    Contract Length
    12 months
    One off bundle activation fee
    €29.99

Advertisement