Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of ditching Sky

• 30-11-2018 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ Seth Better Ash

Hello!

Not happy with the deal offered by Sky so have cancelled Sports, Movies and HD.

I'm now looking to just cancel the whole thing.

Getting a bit confused between aerials, dishes, soarview and freeview from the UK.

With my current dish and Sky box setup are there any channels I can get for free without buying any additional items if I simply just cancel Sky?

Will the recording function still work on the Sky Box? I'm assuming not. It's a HD box.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Sky box, used without a sub is an exercise in frustration IMO.

Try it for a day without the card inserted and see for yourself.
    The majority of the channels are Free To Air (FTA), including the main HD channels such as BBC, ITV/UTV, Channel 4, Channel 5 and a lot of news channels etc.

You will need an aerial for the Saorview terrestrial Irish channels at minimum.
    They are not FTA on the Astra satellite.

There are lots of threads about what you propose in the Satellite section also.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭rustynutz

I quit sky a couple of months ago after thinking about it for a long time. I had intended to get a free to air setup, but honestly between Netflix and the RTE player I haven't bothered. Don't miss it at all really, wish I had jumped a lot sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭micks_address

If you don't use sports then sky isn't worth it. If you have the internet and can stream netflix etc then that along with free to air satellite and saorview will get you by. The biggest stumbling block is recording and series link etc that sky control. You can get a box that has a combined saorview tuner and satellite tuner that can replace your sky box. With the right software and internet connection you can have a 7 day programme guide and do series link etc. It's not an out of the box solution and to be honest you need a little tech know how to get it all set up. The other issue is channels move around on satellite and you will need to manually re tune. Sky does this automatically for you. I am back with sky q now mainly for premier league but if I could get elsewhere legally I'd drop sky. It's costing us 86 euro a month which is way to much. We don't really use the movie channels but have them as the saving without is only a couple of euro.

If you don't have a saorview aerial you will need one and a new cable to the new box

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you have not read this, I suggest you do ....... it should show what can be done without Sky and also how much control (with some work) you have over your installation.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057925678

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ Seth Better Ash

Thanks for all the replies! I'll take a look.

Frustrating thing is if I could pay the same as I had been the last 12 months I would have just kept it...

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies! I'll take a look.

Frustrating thing is if I could pay the same as I had been the last 12 months I would have just kept it...

Did they not offer you a deal on cancellation? When I did my annual cancellation dance with them they cancelled then out me through to someone to cancel my direct debit and they offered me 35 percent off which left me similar enough to last year. They swore blind before I cancelled that I wouldn't get an offer..

Did they not offer you a deal on cancellation? When I did my annual cancellation dance with them they cancelled then out me through to someone to cancel my direct debit and they offered me 35 percent off which left me similar enough to last year. They swore blind before I cancelled that I wouldn't get an offer..

They offered me 25% off, that's down from 40% on last year, and 50% on previous year.

So it's come down every year. That was for Sports/Movies only.

Everything including HD for 83 quid compared to just over 60 this year.

I cancelled the Sports and Movies and HD but am tempted to just cancel the whole lot.

They offered me 25% off, that's down from 40% on last year, and 50% on previous year.

So it's come down every year. That was for Sports/Movies only.

Everything including HD for 83 quid compared to just over 60 this year.

I cancelled the Sports and Movies and HD but am tempted to just cancel the whole lot.

Yeah to me if you don't have sports and movies then you are paying sky for series link and recording as most other channels can be got for free legally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Yeah to me if you don't have sports and movies then you are paying sky for series link and recording as most other channels can be got for free legally

Tbh, the only reason to stay with Sky is if you’re an avid sports fan. Between Netflix and free to air channels I have more TV than I’ll ever watch.
    One big advantage of moving from Sky is that programmes you record are not tied to a subscription, or a specific box, and can be viewed from any device. I have built up a huge film collection, many of them downloaded in hd.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If you didn't have SkyQ, you can hook up a FreeSat box up to the existing cables to get Series Link and Recording of the UK channels.

To get recording on the Irish channels stick a USB key into your TV.

• Advertisement

If you didn't have SkyQ, you can hook up a FreeSat box up to the existing cables to get Series Link and Recording of the UK channels.

To get recording on the Irish channels stick a USB key into your TV.

I've hybrid lnb so have saorview and freesat on my tv.. sky q, Netflix and Amazon video as well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,817 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

When you actually cancel they will email you w a discount that the retention department can't offer. We did this a few months back and got 40 percent discount for 12 months

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    When you actually cancel they will email you w a discount that the retention department can't offer. We did this a few months back and got 40 percent discount for 12 months

Did you fully cancel though?

All I've done is cancel sports/movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,817 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

1. Did you fully cancel though?

All I've done is cancel sports/movies.

Fully canceled & got 40 percent discount on the whole package

Sleeper12 wrote: »

1. Fully canceled & got 40 percent discount on the whole package

Cheers...

Maybe I should try that.

Advertisement