Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Looking for some Voip information

• 30-11-2018 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking for some information regarding setting up voip at home.
    Hopefully Ftth will be coming in the near future so I'm doing some prep work.

We don't make many landline calls but do receive them.
    I'm looking at porting my number to a voip provider & using this to receive calls. Copper line won't be used anymore.

I currently use voip for some outbound calls on my mobile & would hope to set this up on the fibre line.
    The isp I hope to use don't provide voip but do not block setting it up on phone/router.

So basically, one provider to receive calls & another to make calls over fibre.
    Can I set up the phone /router for this?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Do you know what router the ISP will provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Do you know what router the ISP will provide?

Hi, ISP is Airwire.
    They use Fritzbox & FritzFon according to their website. Thanks.

jgbyr wrote: »
    Hi, ISP is Airwire.
    They use Fritzbox & FritzFon according to their website. Thanks.

You can specify the version of Fritxbox from Airwire so that you get the one with all the necessary gubbins for VOIP use.

There should be no problem doing what you require ..... a matter of setting up the incoming account to the ported one, and the dialling account then used for outgoing calls.

You could have several different accounts for different classes of calls and manage those also, maybe based on providers call costs.

The latest Fritzbox is this one
    https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_avm-fritz-box-7590-2280165.html

A bit on the costly side, but well specified.

You can specify the version of Fritxbox from Airwire so that you get the one with all the necessary gubbins for VOIP use.

There should be no problem doing what you require ..... a matter of setting up the incoming account to the ported one, and the dialling account then used for outgoing calls.

You could have several different accounts for different classes of calls and manage those also, maybe based on providers call costs.

The latest Fritzbox is this one
    https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_avm-fritz-box-7590-2280165.html

A bit on the costly side, but well specified.

Thanks for the information. That's my question answered.
    I appreciate it.

Thanks for the information. That's my question answered.
    I appreciate it.

I don't (yet) own a Fritzbox so what I posted is based on reading about the capabilities of the devices rather than experience with them.

Presently I use the copper landline for incoming calls and a VOIP account for outgoing.
    I am with eir, and they have their F2000 locked down so I cannot do my own VOIP set up on it and presently use my old router for outgoing (a Draytek).

With an unlocked router such as Fritzbox there should be no problem combining both receive and call out functions in the one device.
    I am considering purchasing a Fritzbox for the purpose hence the availability of that link :D

Airwire are very active on Boards broadband section and are very helpful, so they should be able to clarify things quite easily.
    Well worth communicating with them IMO.

Let us know how it works out. ;)

• Advertisement

I don't (yet) own a Fritzbox so what I posted is based on reading about the capabilities of the devices rather than experience with them.

Presently I use the copper landline for incoming calls and a VOIP account for outgoing.
    I am with eir, and they have their F2000 locked down so I cannot do my own VOIP set up on it and presently use my old router for outgoing (a Draytek).

With an unlocked router such as Fritzbox there should be no problem combining both receive and call out functions in the one device.
    I am considering purchasing a Fritzbox for the purpose hence the availability of that link :D

Airwire are very active on Boards broadband section and are very helpful, so they should be able to clarify things quite easily.
    Well worth communicating with them IMO.

Let us know how it works out. ;)

Thanks,

I'm only looking at options at present but copper & fibre won't be in the same location so would like an all in one solution.
    I follow the rural Ftth thread & MartinL is very helpful. Without him I wouldn't have known that we're down for fibre as everywhere else says no.
    I've seen your postings here regarding your own setup & will keep any eye out to see if you get the fritzbox.
    Thanks again for the info.

Thanks,

I'm only looking at options at present but copper & fibre won't be in the same location so would like an all in one solution.
    I follow the rural Ftth thread & MartinL is very helpful. Without him I wouldn't have known that we're down for fibre as everywhere else says no.
    I've seen your postings here regarding your own setup & will keep any eye out to see if you get the fritzbox.
    Thanks again for the info.

I might well just use the present set up and move to Airwire when my contract with eir is up to get the new Fritzbox.
    Else I am dependent on the good will of the in house accountant :D

Sorry, one last thing.
    Is there a technical name for such a facility in voip, like multi line or multichannel (or something)?
    Just so I can research it, thanks.

Sorry, one last thing.
    Is there a technical for such a facility in voip, like multi line or multichannel (or something)?
    Just so I can research it, thanks.

EDIT: RE-READ THE QUESTION ...... not that I know of. It is just a matter of setting up a couple of accounts, one of which will receive calls and the other used to make calls.

BTW, which service will you use to port your number to? Cost? Thanks.

####
    # left here just in case it might have anything of interest ;)

The F2000 is the latest router I have used.
    It has separate settings for VOIP Providers which I use for outgoing VOIP calls by adding my VOIP account there.
    You can have several accounts for different purposes/call-types

I have up to 6 different VOIP numbers registered with the Draytek.
    Each can receive calls and each can dial out depending on the parameters I set ..... call types based on number and so on.
    So you could set up another VOIP account with a free service such as Linphone or the like, put that account into the settings and receive completely free (for caller) calls from their VOIP account.
    Similarly you could call them on (example)
    user-name-or-number@sip.provider.org
    without any cost.

I have not had much luck with the F2000 because IMO eir have it locked down to use their own VOIP scheme and no other.

That should not be a problem with the Fritzbox no more than it is with the Draytek.

As in your set up you will only have one incoming 'number' then that will be used when you get a call.

That you use a different account to make outgoing calls will not affect that.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Very useful as I'm only getting my head around this stuff.

At the moment I'm looking at porting my landline number to irishvoip.com for €24.60 a year. They also do payg calling but I wouldn't be using it.
    Currently I've credit with discountvoip.co.uk & cheapvoip.com so would use one of them for outgoing calls.
    Works well on the mobile.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the detailed explanation. Very useful as I'm only getting my head around this stuff.

At the moment I'm looking at porting my landline number to irishvoip.com for €24.60 a year. They also do payg calling but I wouldn't be using it.
    Currently I've credit with discountvoip.co.uk & cheapvoip.com so would use one of them for outgoing calls.
    Works well on the mobile.

That seems a reasonable price for relaying your calls to your IP address.

You will be able to use both those voip accounts.

I am using freevoipdeal at present, as it call rates and free number options suit me fine.

You mention you're currently using freevoipdeal for outbound calls.
    How is this set up on the router as access is with username & password & sip address. No actual number is given with the account.
    I understood you need to assign a number 1st. Am I incorrect?
    Thanks

You mention you're currently using freevoipdeal for outbound calls.
    How is this set up on the router as access is with username & password & sip address. No actual number is given with the account.
    I understood you need to assign a number 1st. Am I incorrect?
    Thanks

The account details are entered and saved in the router.
    The router then registers with the provider based on the name & password stored.
    This then allows me to make outgoing calls in a normal fashion.

A 'number' is only required to receive calls and I set the caller ID on outgoing calls (through my account settings with the provider) to my landline or mobile number.

You will have have set up your 'number' by porting your landline number and having incoming calls re-directed to your VOIP account for incoming calls.

The account details are entered and saved in the router.
    The router then registers with the provider based on the name & password stored.
    This then allows me to make outgoing calls in a normal fashion.

A 'number' is only required to receive calls and I set the caller ID on outgoing calls (through my account settings with the provider) to my landline or mobile number.

You will have have set up your 'number' by porting your landline number and having incoming calls re-directed to your VOIP account.

Thanks, once again.
    Any info I've seen so far regarding set up for outbound, mention entering the provider telephone number. Hence my confusion as I'll only have one actual number & that will be used for inbound only.
    As you say, account details will suffice.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Thanks, once again.
    Any info I've seen so far regarding set up for outbound, mention entering the provider telephone number. Hence my confusion as I'll only have one actual number & that will be used for inbound only.
    As you say, account details will suffice.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Some providers do provide an actual number as the username of the account.
    That number could be an internal number.
    IIRC Blueface used to do that, but no idea if they still do.
    I had/have an account there in the form
    123456@blueface.ie
    which equated to a non-geo number in the form
    076 6123456
    The 076 number would be used by others calling me on that account.
    Due to changes since, and the scamming by telcos who charged more for the 076 calls, it went into disuse.

On the other hand Freespeech.ie also issued numbers as the user account number, which was the actual 076 number allocated to the account. This took the form
    076123456@freespeech.ie
    and that same 076123456 non-geo number could be dialled by anyone to connect to me on that account.

Because of all the messing about with tarrifs by telcos, my non-geo numbers have been unused for some time, and I maintained the landline for incoming calls.
    Consequently my VOIP account only handles outgoing calls.
    (You will have the incoming covered by porting the number ... you will just need some VOIP account (free maybe) to receive those calls)
    If my VOIP provider ups their call rates I can very simply change provider.

Or if I have two different 'types' of call ...... say European and Far East ...... then I can use two providers for outgoing calls, and set up the dial plan so that for each call-type the provider with the better call rates is used.
    The only limitation is the max number of VOIP accounts the router will handle.
    My Draytek router does six.

Thanks.
    I was hoping to use either cheapvoip or discountvoip for outbound. They're all from the same company, as is freevoipdeal.
    Set up uses :
    Server : sip.cheapvoip.com
    Username : xxxxxxx
    Password : xxxxxxx

I wonder will it work.

Thanks.
    I was hoping to use either cheapvoip or discountvoip for outbound. They're all from the same company, as is freevoipdeal.
    Set up uses :
    Server : sip.cheapvoip.com
    Username : xxxxxxx
    Password : xxxxxxx

I wonder will it work.

I don't see why not. That is just the usual information.
    There is an option on the F2000 to also enter a number - I just entered the username there also.

Do you need to dial the international prefix when making local calls as I do?

I don't see why not. That is just the usual information.
    There is an option on the F2000 to also enter a number - I just entered the username there also.

Do you need to dial the international prefix when making local calls as I do?

I've only used the account on my mobile. I've recently been using discountvoip & only use the area code & number.

I've only used the account on my mobile. I've recently been using discountvoip & only use the area code & number.

Thanks ...... as my provider is located outside Ireland I had to set up the dial plan to use the international codes.
    Not a big deal at all on the Draytek, but not sure how this is managed on other routers.

Thanks ...... as my provider is located outside Ireland I had to set up the dial plan to use the international codes.
    Not a big deal at all on the Draytek, but not sure how this is managed on other routers.

It must be a landline thing. The discountvoip provider has an address in Luxembourg

• Advertisement

It must be a landline thing. The discountvoip provider has an address in Luxembourg

I dunno what you mean by landline thing.

I call landline or mobile in any country the same way .... international dialling code and number.

Unless you mean you dial a local access number first to make international calls from your mobile?

Sorry, I was referring to using voip through a router on broadband as opposed to over the mobile network using an app.

Advertisement