Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Elections. The Constituency of Tipperary

Comments

• Big Ears wrote: »
    What was he doing before he became a councillor ?
    I know it's not necessarily possible to continue to work and be a councillor, depending on your occupation. But 9 months is a good amount of time to try and secure work again.

The vast majority of councillors have a day job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Silly question but if there's no result tonight, does the Presentation school close tomorrow while count continues?

To thine own self be true

• Silly question but if there's no result tonight, does the Presentation school close tomorrow while count continues?

I would imagine that it’s confined to the sports centre and won’t affect the school as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Seeming to think on RTE that Ahearn will take a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Seeming to think on RTE that Ahearn will take a seat.

Whoever takes the fifth seat, it will be quite tight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭julyjane

if he does it could be at the expense of Alan Kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Xenophile

First Count. 5 Seats Quota 13,362

Lowry IND 14,802
    Browne SF 10,.004
    McGrath IND 9,321
    Cahill FF 7,940
    Kelly LAB 7,857
    Ahearn FG 6,206
    Healy IND 5,829
    Newman Julian FG 4926
    Hannigan IND 4715

Ahearn to take a seat after Newman Julian is eliminated.
    Healy to loose his seat.
    FG strategy to run two canditates now seems justified.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Xenophile wrote: »
    First Count. 5 Seats Quota 13,362

Lowry IND 14,802
    Browne SF 10,.004
    McGrath IND 9,321
    Cahill FF 7,940
    Kelly LAB 7,857
    Ahearn FG 6,206
    Healy IND 5,829
    Newman Julian FG 4926
    Hannigan IND 4715

Ahearn to take a seat after Newman Julian is eliminated.
    Healy to loose his seat.
    FG strategy to run two canditates now seems justified.

With hannigan from north tipp would a lot of his votes not transfer to kelly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,966 ✭✭✭Big Ears

With hannigan from north tipp would a lot of his votes not transfer to kelly?

They absolutely will, Farrell's too.
    It could get very competitive for the rest of the seats in Tipp.
    Even Mattie and Browne will need solid transfers to be safe, despite being well ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I think FF have made the same mistake.

At least they’ll get a td in and they picked candidates from geographically different areas

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be a big fan of Kelly personally but I'd rather be represented by him than by Ahearn.

• RTE Tipperary..
    No candidate elected on Tipperary third count. The Green Party’s Rob O’Donnell is now excluded and his votes will be distributed for the fourth count. #GE2020

• Registered Users Posts: 12,941 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

RTE Tipperary..
    No candidate elected on Tipperary third count. The Green Party’s Rob O’Donnell is now excluded and his votes will be distributed for the fourth count. #GE2020

Have they called it a night?

To thine own self be true

• Have they called it a night?

When Rob O’Donnells votes are distributed...They will stop for the night..Thats what they are saying now..

• The count centre in Thurles has now closed for the night and the count will reconvene at 10am tomorrow. Fianna Fáil's Imelda Goldsboro has been eliminated #tipperary #tippge2020 #GE2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

The count centre in Thurles has now closed for the night and the count will reconvene at 10am tomorrow. Fianna Fáil's Imelda Goldsboro has been eliminated #tipperary #tippge2020 #GE2020

Jackie Cahill didn't get most of her transfers for some reason they seem to have gone to Alan Kelly who is in fourth place.

Garret Ahern or Seamus Healy could potentially take that fifth seat from Jackie Cahill.

Jackie Cahill didn't get most of her transfers for some reason they seem to have gone to Alan Kelly who is in fourth place.

Garret Ahern or Seamus Healy could potentially take that fifth seat from Jackie Cahill.

Goldsboro vote not distributed. That boost was Rob O'Donnell although that in itself still seemed odd. My take on it is as follows.

Goldsboro polled highest in Carrick constituency. If her second choice reflects that then it will be Browne, Healy and Matty in that order. The Fianna Fail vote will come in to play as mentioned so Cahill will also be a benefactor.

Hannigan will be next eliminated with Kelly likely to hoover up most of that.

Healy is likely to be ahead of Ahearn by the time it comes Mary Newman Julian who will give Ahearn a boost but not enough.

Healys votes tricky as you'd have to assume Browne and Mcgrath will be in. Think if its split three ways between Cahill, Ahearn and Kelly that Ahearn would do well. Think I have gone a bit too far down a hole in trying to predict an outcome to understand how that will work.

Ultimately I think Cahill and Kelly will see off Ahearn and Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭johntune

Goldsboro's votes are not distributed yet. First thing in the morning. Over 4000. Cahill should pick up a good few.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Goldsboro vote not distributed. That boost was Rob O'Donnell although that in itself still seemed odd. My take on it is as follows.

Ultimately I think Cahill and Kelly will see off Ahearn and Healy.

That makes more sense, I misread the figures thinking that the Goldsboro votes had been transferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Expunge

So, it's looking like no Clonmel based TD. The County Town, largest population.
    Expect more stroke pulling by other TD's to do the place down over the next few years.

It looks like Seamus Healy left no legacy at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

I think returning will be
    Lowry
    McGrath
    Cahill
    Kelly

and Browne will replace Healy

Healy only got in the last time when he got the transfers from Sinn Fein's Seamus Morris which won't be happening this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

Expunge wrote: »
    Expect more stroke pulling by other TD's to do the place down over the next few years.

People vote for candidates not towns.

True enough.
    (except maybe in the case of Sinn Fein this time, a wheelie bin with a SF sticker on it would have done well in most constituencies)

Expunge wrote: »

Mattie McGrath will be the Clonmel rep.

Joe hannigan eliminated now and a lot of transfers expected to go to Alan Kelly.

is there much of a chance of Mary Newman Julian transferring the bulk of her votes to Ahearn and him sneaking a seat at the expense of either Alan Kelly or Martin Browne? that would probably make Tipp the only county with a gain for FG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

To be fair Matty does a lot for Clonmel and it would be his local town. It’s a shame to see Healy isn’t looking great, a man I have utmost respect for who along with Matty have done a lot for the town over the years. There will be more than a few people happy to see Ahearn fall at the last hurdle which looks likely at this stage, for a lad who’s new to politics he has claimed some amount of projects as his own work, stuff that was even sorted before he came on the scene even!!

Not sure how many people in Clonmel would see it that way as they roll their eyes up to heaven when they see him arriving noisy and late to a wake or a funeral for maximum exposure.

Still, if that's what it takes, he sure has what it takes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

julyjane wrote: »
    Joe hannigan eliminated now and a lot of transfers expected to go to Alan Kelly.

is there much of a chance of Mary Newman Julian transferring the bulk of her votes to Ahearn and him sneaking a seat at the expense of either Alan Kelly or Martin Browne? that would probably make Tipp the only county with a gain for FG

We’ll soon find out, she’s just been eliminated. My guessing is that there won’t be as much as we’d expect going to him, my taking if it is that she was a bit pissed off with him getting a bit more support than her so can’t see her having pushed hard for her supporters to give him the no.2

fairly certain now to be the original top 5 then. even if MNJ transferred every single vote to GA it wouldn't have got him a quota on the next count anyway.

• Advertisement

julyjane wrote: »
    fairly certain now to be the original top 5 then. even if MNJ transferred every single vote to GA it wouldn't have got him a quota on the next count anyway.

I predict he gets around 2,500 which probably leaves around 2,000 between him and Kelly.

I doubt he makes that up with the Healy surplus but who knows.

Advertisement