Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What book are you reading atm?? CHAPTER TWO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I read The Luminous Dead in two days, then reread Nevermoor to refresh my memory before I start the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just finished November Road by Lou Berney.
    Not your typical crime thriller but I thought it was fantastic. Highly recommended.

Description from Amazon:
    A loyal street lieutenant to New Orleans’ mob boss Carlos Marcello, Guidry knows too much about the crime of the century: the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Within hours of JFK’s murder, everyone with ties to Marcello is turning up dead. Suspecting he’s next, Guidry hits the road to Las Vegas. When he spots a beautiful housewife and her two young daughters stranded on the side of the road, he sees the perfect disguise to cover his tracks from the hit men on his trail.

The two strangers share the open road west – and find each other on the way. But Guidry’s relentless hunters are closing in on him, and now he doesn’t want to just survive, he wants to really live, maybe for the first time.

Everyone’s expendable, or they should be, but Guidry just can’t throw away the woman he’s come to love. And it might get them both killed.

Also re-read War by Sebastian Junger.

If you have any interest in war, specifically the Afghan war, then this is a must-read. Gripping stuff. Superbly written and is as authentic as it gets. Having been to Afghanistan myself, I can tell you this book describes the landscape so perfectly, and captures the relationship and unique bond between the troops so well that it sucks you in and really makes you feel like you're there. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Description from Amazon:
    For 15 months, Sebastian Junger accompanied a single platoon of thirty men from the celebrated 2nd battalion of the U.S. Army, as they fought their way through a remote valley in Eastern Afghanistan. Over the course of five trips, Junger was in more firefights than he could count, men he knew were killed or wounded, and he himself was almost killed. His relationship with these soldiers grew so close that they considered him part of the platoon, and he enjoyed an access and a candidness that few, if any, journalists ever attain.

But this is more than just a book about Afghanistan or the 'War on Terror'; it is a book about the universal truth of all men, in all wars. Junger set out to answer what he thought of as the 'hand grenade question': why would a man throw himself on a hand grenade to save other men he has probably known for only a few months? The answer is elusive but profound, and goes to the heart of what it means not just to be a soldier, but to be human.

‘War’ is a narrative about combat: the fear of dying, the trauma of killing and the love between platoon-mates who would rather die than let each other down. Gripping, honest, intense, it explores the neurological, psychological and social elements of combat, and the incredible bonds that form between these small groups of men.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭farmerval

Just finished Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney
    Really enjoyed this book, "caveat that quite a bit was used in Normal People which I had read previously" that was quite annoying.
    Good book, good dialogue, interesting relationship dynamics. I enjoyed it considerably more than Normal People.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭Esse85

Why We Sleep - Matthew Walker

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Political murder in Northern Ireland by Martin Dillon.
    It is old, but excellent.
    https://www.amazon.com/Political-Northern-Ireland-Penguin-special/dp/0140523081

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,862 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I read Atonement and was bored out of my skull, then For Whom the Bell Tolls, slightly better but still not the classic I was expecting, now Im half way through A Prayer for Owen Meaney and Im bored again, I think Ill head back to the sci-fi/fantasy realm for a while after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Kamu

Flash Boys by Michael Lewis

A great look at the rise and impact of High Frequency Trading in the wake of the financial crash of 2008.

Really highlights the fact that the 'little' person is being screwed by these massive financial institutions and that we should be thankful for any scraps they throw out way.

It's all about money.

Highly recommend if you have an interest in the inner workings of trading and the stock market.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Esse85 wrote: »
    Why We Sleep - Matthew Walker

I found that a fascinating read and really enjoyed it - apart from the discussion of various sleep disorders and their effects :eek:

I am about to start Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭appledrop

gutenberg wrote: »
    I found that a fascinating read and really enjoyed it - apart from the discussion of various sleep disorders and their effects :eek:

I am about to start Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo.

I really enjoyed Girl, Woman, Other. I think it had the edge over The Testaments for Booker prize even though I really enjoyed that book aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist. I read it before, but, a shortage of books lately meant I went over it again.

Dan.

• Advertisement

Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist. I read it before, but, a shortage of books lately meant I went over it again.

It's a very good book, though it's a victim of its own hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,689 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Revolutionary Road, it's very funny.
    Grit: the power of passion and perseverance, basically you get out of life what you put into it, she's banging on about for chapter after chapter
    Beethoven: Anguish and Triumph, this is like 1200 pages, will take me forever to read
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse - some spiritually buddhisty thing I just started

I'm getting carried away with books these days with all the time at home but I'm going to stick with just these for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just finished Beauty, Disrupted, the autobiography of model and actress Carré Otis. The title is the worst thing about it: I started it early this morning, just to see if I thought it was readable, and found it hard to put down. The first 1/3 is tough stuff, going about how she struggled in school due to dyslexia, ran away from home, practically fell in to modelling and suddenly found herself doing cover shoots in New York for a top agency. Then she was sent to Paris for even glossier assignments, but is raped by a top fashion director (who was engaged to another supermodel at the time), and after a disastrous stint in Milan, throws it all in and goes home. Except that Mickey Rourke has seen her work and wants her for an erotic film set in Brazil ... which is where the next part starts. Of course it's written from her point of view, but even allowing for that you still end up rooting for Carré and wondering how the hell she's not dead, which she came close to on several occasions. Riveting stuff. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 18,579 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Just started A Traveller At The Gates Of Wisdom by John Boyne.
    I love his books, and find it so easy to read and enjoy his writing

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭All that fandango

The Switch by Beth O'Leary. Her first book The Flatshare was brilliant, and had high hopes for this one but it is just complete bargain bucket stuff. Really disapointing. Two weeks in and Im only just half way through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I'm just finished reading Stephen King's "The Stand" for the first time - the revised, extended version. :o It was great, but sooooo looooong. First of his books I've read in many years.

Now I'm reading Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh ... I'm not loving it, it's just not particularly well written and the twists are very predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,332 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Now I'm reading Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh ... I'm not loving it, it's just not particularly well written and the twists are very predictable.

Oh no, please don't say that. I have that on my shelf still to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The Butcher Boy. Pretty grim read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Mad about the boy - Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones in 2012.
    Nice and light with lots of laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Finished Girl, Woman, Other by Bernardine Evaristo. Absolutely loved it, great book and interesting concept.

I've now started Jill Lepore's The Secret History of Wonder Woman. It sounds daft but it's actually a really interesting book about early 20th-century feminism, women's education, the emergence of psychology, and the peculiar family history of WW's creator. Really good so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Seven Pillars of Wisdom is the autobiographical account of the experiences of British soldier T. E. Lawrence ("Lawrence of Arabia"), while serving as a liaison officer with rebel forces during the Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Turks of 1916 to 1918.

Enjoying this slowly

Finished 'As a Man Thinketh' (absolutely applicable to women too) yesterday.

It's only 30ish pages, so more a pamphlet, though it was recommended as something every man needs to read, so I did.

To sum up, we are what we think. I think I'm great, I'll be living a great life. I think I'm awful, I'll be living an awful life.

Even if you're currently not what you want to be (e.g confident) if you start to think you are, you will start believing you are, and you will become what it is you think.

Something's I don't fully agree with (regarding health), but overall, I think it's one of the best short reads to refer back to annually to put myself back into perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Oh no, please don't say that. I have that on my shelf still to read.

Yeah I've been looking forward to reading it for ages, it seemed like an interesting premise.

However he just seems to really stretch his artistic licence in terms of what's believable or realistic. Which I'd probably actually forgive in a well-written novel, but I just don't find the writing flows well, and it highlights the lack of believability.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,811 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sphere - Michael Crichton

I remember the dodgy film vaguely but actually enjoying the book

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson

Absolutely loving it so far :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Danger781 wrote: »
    12 Rules for Life by Jordan Peterson

Absolutely loving it so far :-)

Have you seen 21 lessons for the 21st century, might be your bag too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Freddie Mercury by Peter Freestone.Gives a great behind the scenes of all the hard it took to perform his concerts.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'm just finished reading Stephen King's "The Stand" for the first time - the revised, extended version. :o It was great, but sooooo looooong. First of his books I've read in many years.

The Stand is a monster read but well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Louis de Bernières So Much Life Leftover & Carlos Ruiz Zafón The Labyrinth of the Spirits & listening to Toni Morrison’s Paridise, I’ve read most of her work through the years, but love having the opportunity to her narrate her own work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Rereading The Stand by Stephen King

Advertisement