Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carbonara sauce is a scam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Porklife wrote: »
    My mom was quite the Nigella Lawson in her day. She used to make spaghetti and meatballs for us as kids by mixing a can of Campbells meatballs and a tin of heinz spaghetti together.
    Such a perfectionist, she wouldn't dream of putting cream in carbonara.
    Bellisimo!!

Pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

storker wrote: »
    When making a carbonara you make your own "cream" by adding some of the water from the pasta (which shouldn't be drained before adding). The water combined with the egg and oil from the pancetta makes the "cream".

Absolute nonsense! It's from the cream of mushroom soup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Bizarre to see Paddies gatekeeping carbonara like you've all grown up in the hills of Rome and didn't think that bacon and cabbage was the pinnacle of culinary excellence until the day before yesterday.

We'll have to have a 'should there be chorizo in paella?' thread next. Or 'How do I politely correct the Milanos waitress without sounding like a complete prick when she pronounces Bruschetta without a hard K?'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,313 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

46 Long wrote: »
    Bizarre to see Paddies gatekeeping carbonara like you've all grown up in the hills of Rome and didn't think that bacon and cabbage was the pinnacle of culinary excellence until the day before yesterday.

We'll have to have a 'should there be chorizo in paella?' thread next. Or 'How do I politely correct the Milanos waitress without sounding like a complete prick when she pronounces Bruschetta without a hard K?'.

Gammon and a ring of pineapple from tin for the adventurous. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

storker wrote: »
    When making a carbonara you make your own "cream" by adding some of the water from the pasta (which shouldn't be drained before adding). The water combined with the egg and oil from the pancetta makes the "cream".

Aye. I guess we are a small minority in this thread though. Most Irish people would prefer carbonara Peig style :p

I guess all the plebs on this island have come a long way from eating just milk and potatoes not much more than 100 years ago. Mushrooms and cream are a big bonus :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Just fukk a pack of bacon lardons into a frying pan and slosh a bit of cream over it. Tastes way nicer too

Same with pancake mix, this is only powdered egg and self raising flour and a load of synthetic chemicals to lengthen the ingredient list to make it look like a very complex product that took a lot of R&D.

What other cooking product is a scam?

Sentiment is right and honorable even if the facts need brushing up on. Those mass-produced sauces are awful and carbonara ones are particularly crap.

Carbonara is very easy and very difficult all in the same go.

Literally 6 ingredients
    Pasta
    Eggs
    Parmesan
    Black Pepper
    Guanciale/Bacon will do
    Water

The hardest part is not scrambling the eggs. I'm still hit and miss at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

46 Long wrote: »

Talking of the Hills of Rome ...

Bizarre that the word 'paddy' is derived from the Latin word 'Patricius'.

And that swifly brings us on to the old pasta / noodle origin debate

https://amp.scmp.com/lifestyle/food-drink/article/3080891/chinese-noodles-not-inspiration-pasta-historians-say-its-roots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

sdanseo wrote: »
    Sentiment is right and honorable even if the facts need brushing up on. Those mass-produced sauces are awful and carbonara ones are particularly crap.

Carbonara is very easy and very difficult all in the same go.

Literally 6 ingredients
    Pasta
    Eggs
    Parmesan
    Black Pepper
    Guanciale/Bacon will do
    Water

I mix the egg yolks thoroughly and take the pan off the heat before adding it and tossing it around. Back on the heat for less than a minute to heat through and voila!
    Used to always scramble on me too until I learned to only add it at the very end of the hob.
    Wish it wasn't 1am. I'd love to whip up a carbonara...I'm all out of mushroom soup though so wouldn't be authentic:p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,434 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Just fukk a pack of bacon lardons into a frying pan and slosh a bit of cream over it. Tastes way nicer too

Same with pancake mix, this is only powdered egg and self raising flour and a load of synthetic chemicals to lengthen the ingredient list to make it look like a very complex product that took a lot of R&D.

It's the biggest scam since sliced bread OP.

Is there cream in Korma?

Asking for a friend

• Advertisement

Is there cream in Korma?

Asking for a friend

Coconut milk.

Coconut milk.

I thought korma was Indian for cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Plenty of pigs sent to their death every day of the week here. Where does it all go?

I had to look that up, although when I found out, I think I've heard of it being used in recipes, not that I'd come across it myself, I'm fairly clueless when it comes to the kind of food preparation that involves sauces.
    I'd have thought it all ends up in sausages and/or pudding?
    An interesting/mildly funny thread all the same, even if I dont know what half of it is about, I do like pineapple with certain foods though.
    I must look into those pasta trees,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,777 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

nullzero wrote: »
    Pancetta egg yolks and parmesan. Jars of any type of pasta sauce are uniformly dreadful but the gelatinous gloop that passes for carbonara is particularly vomit inducing.

Completely.. I bought a carbonara one once, straight in the bin.... the dolmio one is one I have tried too more recently , the stir in sauce in that plastic flat container, it wasn’t good, neither was the one in the jar... HAS to be made from scratch... extra time, extra effort, but worth it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Whats that white wobbly gloop in Lidl Lasagne?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Is there cream in Korma?

Asking for a friend

I used to work in an Indian restaurant and that particular place used cream in their Korma, it is seen to be the mildest curry for people who can't handle much spice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Whats that white wobbly gloop in Lidl Lasagne?

Pretend Bechamel sauce, factory made?

My mum, like all of yours, learned how to make it 20 years ago and it was all very exciting. Just don't let that pristine memory of her first foray into real continental cooking turn you into a gatekeeper of Italian food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

If you insist on cream, you can forget the carbonara and go for "alla Gigi", which has prosciutto, pancetta, cream for the rosée sauce and a touch of cognac or Vodka.

Or do what I do and throw in whatever you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Gammyeye

I add chopped carrots in mine

Gammyeye wrote: »
    I add chopped carrots in mine

Not a carbonara but I grate carrots into a Bolognese, lots of them.

They dissolve so you get all the flavour but no actual lumps of carrot. Best of both worlds.

Not a carbonara but I grate carrots into a Bolognese, lots of them.

They dissolve so you get all the flavour but no actual lumps of carrot. Best of both worlds.

They also help with removing bitterness from the tomatoes. That's why I add them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

This.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Christ there's nothing more boring in the culinary world than people who have think recipes are set in stone and shouldn't be altered to your own tastes.

when-people-ask-how-i-make-my-carbonara-so-good-65231290-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

endacl wrote: »
    In exactly the same way as there’s no pineapple on pizza.

*runs away*

:pac:

I likes a drop of cream on me Pizza , and thinly chopped pineapple in me carbonara.

For dessert, I likes a bowl of cream, but I have found that one can add to this dessert by topping it up with some more cream!

Luvvly Jubbly!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What?

You know people use recipes right? People don't reverse engineer food from the ingredients list on the side of a convenience food packet..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

And guacamole.

And frozen mixed veg from a bag.

🙈🙉🙊

They also help with removing bitterness from the tomatoes. That's why I add them.

I add a bit of honey for that..

I grate the carrots in so that I know the kids are eating some veg

• Advertisement

And frozen mixed veg from a bag.

There's an ad on tv where some lady chucks frozen veggies into a pasta..

Grim

Advertisement