Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Giving up working at 50

Options
  • 30-10-2020 8:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

With all thats happening in the world and many of us spending time at home is it time to get out of the rat race if it returns??
    Some of us are bored and isolated been at home but some like myself could adapt to not working and getting back to a basic life going for walks , bit of tv , home cooking, going for a frive if or when you want without all the demands of working,commuting etc etc.
    Money of course is the question , if you own your house and had some savings could one eek out an existence on welfare until a pension kicks in at 65 ?

Comments

I'll be retired at 54, all going well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

No need to be uncivil

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TheQuietBeatle

Do what makes you happy. I'm in a job which is sucking my soul from my body dealing with asshole directors and VP's. I stay because its a senior position I worked hard to get into.

My dream is to move to the South of Spain one day. We plan on paying off the house within next 4 years and maybe then can get out of the rat race or settle for a low paying remote job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Íl be working until I'm at least 70 op il probably drop dead by 75 if I'm lucky.

Some private pensions can be accessed at 50.... You'd want a pot of 400k at least to consider it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭Alejandro68

I always thought I would retire if I won the lottery. But I know I would open my own restaurant and have to be hands on. So I guess I would never give up working at any age.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Augeo wrote: »
    Some private pensions can be accessed at 50.... You'd want a pot of 400k at least to consider it IMO.

400K would be nowhere enough to retire on if starting at 50. From an annuity perspective, you'd probably be talking about receiving 1-2% max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I’m in a job I’m fed up with , there’s so much red tape and the days of having a laugh are gone . The thoughts of working till 65 depress me and despite alleged longer living how much decent living is there after 65 ? Ten years if your lucky .
    If I left now with redundancy I’d own my house and have a small few quid with a reasonable pension at 65 . I’m now 50 , maybe I could get a part time job

• Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Invalided out of work at 38, and pensioned off at 40.
    Have gone back to uni and am making great strides in my DIY skills and actuall Student dossing on teams ;)

Far luckier than most my age in that I'm mortgage free and even with just an invalidity pension quite financially secure.

The rat-race and the entire work life balance of the post industrial revolution labour market needs serious reassessment in the coming return to "normality".

The Finn's are leading the way in proposing a 6hr per day, 4 day week aswell as their previous trials of UBI.
    The whole paradigm of productivity/economic value and the value and distribution of inputs and outputs is approaching an inflection point IMO.

There will be huge amounts of economic shock and turmoil but while maybe radical wealth redistribution will never happen. The actual provision of economic security for the masses is sorely needed.
    The coming of industry 4.0 and the huge integration of tech like Watson will infringe on the economic "value" of far more than the usual manufacturing/manual/driver segments that are expected.

Already AI is playing a role in insurance/financial/legal and medical segments.
    In a world where automation is cheap, 99% infallible and ever cheaper?
    What value and what economic power can be ascribed and accrued by Joe Public?

It's a trite phrase, and overused...
    But!
    It's a brave new world people!
    Do we go down the path of Roddenberry? Huxley? Or Wagner?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

dotsman wrote: »
    400K would be nowhere enough to retire on if starting at 50. From an annuity perspective, you'd probably be talking about receiving 1-2% max.

Pretty sure they were talking about the 400k getting you to pension age, and having no loans or mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

LuasSimon wrote: »
    With all thats happening in the world and many of us spending time at home is it time to get out of the rat race if it returns??
    Some of us are bored and isolated been at home but some like myself could adapt to not working and getting back to a basic life going for walks , bit of tv , home cooking, going for a frive if or when you want without all the demands of working,commuting etc etc.
    Money of course is the question , if you own your house and had some savings could one eek out an existence on welfare until a pension kicks in at 65 ?

You won't be able to eek out an existence on welfare because you have to be actively seeking a job to be given social welfare, it's not a top up for 15 years to tide you over to retirement.

To thine own self be true

You won't be able to eek out an existence on welfare because you have to be actively seeking a job to be given social welfare, it's not a top up for 15 years to tide you over to retirement.

A fair point , to be honest I’d take a job doing something else but I thought anyone over 50 with no degree wouldn’t be able to get a job . Maybe it’s a fresh start I need although I’d struggle to work past 60 . Take redundancy now , get some other job for 5-10 years ( if I get one ) and end up on welfare closer to 60

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

I lost my job in my early 40's after the constuction industry collapsed.I owned my own house,had no debts and a little saved so I decided to chill out for a few years till there was work again.
    I haven't worked since and life is relaxed and the way it should but not everyone can live this way.My car got smaller due to tax and insurance,my skysports and other non essentials/bills disappeared.No holidays but everyday is a holiday!:)

My savings dwindled down to zero but it happened gradually so I was well prepared to have nothing and when I did have nothing and was still happy I became even happier as the worry was gone.
    I had to communicate with some welfare people/projects but when life is good and relaxed these were not a problem and I did them and enjoyed them,they ended and I got back to my early retirement again.
    I figured out some very deep stuff too.Stuff happens when you get out of the rat race and focus on your own happiness 24hrs a day,7 days a week.
    "Everything" falls into place if you let go of "Everything"

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Would you though?

I would.
    Great loss-hugely imformative regarding animals and nature.
    (sorry -off topic)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭arctictree

Feck the annuity, 20K a year until you are 70. Then on to the state pension. Maybe an inheritance along the way aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You can give up working at 50 if you have enough money to live the life you want.

However you need to decide if you are the retiring type. If you aren't you won't be content.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Has anyone heard of part-time work its the greatest thing since sliced bread? best of both worlds.

arctictree wrote: »
    Feck the annuity, 20K a year until you are 70. Then on to the state pension. Maybe an inheritance along the way aswell.

I'd be surprised if the state pension would be worth much after another two decades... it's going to be one of those things that will be sacrificed (or misused) eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

A fair point , to be honest I’d take a job doing something else but I thought anyone over 50 with no degree wouldn’t be able to get a job . Maybe it’s a fresh start I need although I’d struggle to work past 60 . Take redundancy now , get some other job for 5-10 years ( if I get one ) and end up on welfare closer to 60

Think you need to be 62 to get the free pass on social welfare,heard they might be changing that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Jimson

15 year mortgage on a 2 bed apartment that cost 120,000. Saving 500 a month on top of it. Paying into a pension since 23

All going well ill be somewhat retired by 45 and just do 6 months contracting and six months off every and sign on for the time off.

• Advertisement

Jimson wrote: »

15 year mortgage on a 2 bed apartment that cost 120,000. Saving 500 a month on top of it. Paying into a pension since 23

All going well ill be somewhat retired by 45 and just do 6 months contracting and six months off every and sign on for the time off.

Don't you just love people who had the sense to do what you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Don't you just love people who had the sense to do what you didn't.

Don’t feel too aggrieved - the exonomy could collapse and all the companies and shares your pension was paying into vanish overnight and become worthless. Thank God I also had the sense to spend, enjoy, take a few years off to travel, enjoy life and follow my dreams before heading back into the world of desks
    and blue screens.

Nothing is guaranteed - unless your a taxpayer funded and index linked guaranteed pension civil servant. Cruelly. As with much in life, those that work least and contribute least reap most.

As itnis they are pushing the returement age up & up ( for everyone else) so that you will be going into work on your free bus pass and drooling over your zimmerframe as you shoot up in the
    lift to a desk you are too decrepit to sit at and try and so roles and work programmes your memory is too alzheimers riddled to comprehend.

The Greeks had the right idea - national retirement for everyone by 45. Quality of life for all and jobs for the young. Not bleeting octagenrians 50 years out of date clinging to their rights and dealsks and jobs for fear of being alone and dying alone at home & impending financial ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don’t know what I would do all day. I like my job and I would miss working.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had always planned retiring at 50’ish.

Changed work a few years ago and downscaled from the work I was doing managing in a multinational on 12hr shifts.

Earning a little over half I was earning but I can see me doing it for another 10 years, I’m nearly 50.

I work from home 99% of the time, 100% now with covid.
    Make my own appointments, set start and finish times. Get to drop kids to school and often pick them up too. Boss is absolutely wonderful bloke. I’m out on any of about 15 sites I manage all day, have 25 reporting to me. As long as metrics are met and budget adhered to I'm allowed tip away. Not reliant on anyone else for holiday cover so I can have days anytime I want.

My OH is nearing 50, frontline hospital worker, busy planning exit strategy from health services as it’s just constantly demanding superhuman effort to keep going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

You Really don’t need a degree to get a good job though . Great work experience good attitude and ability to make money can go very far

There are other perspectives rather then annuities.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I love the work I do and honestly I think I'd be bored silly if I retired at 50, maybe at 55 or 60 would be better, mortgage free with a few investments providing a passive income.

If I retired at 50 I'd end up setting up my own business, going head first into that and spending more time getting that up and running than I do now working full time so my work life balance would be worse off as I tend to get wrapped up in things like that too much.

So I'm happy to enjoy my job, get a decent salary, nice perks like a decent pension, good healthcare coving my family and a nice few other perks.

If the arse doesn't fall out of my pension I should be able to retire at 60 at most with hopefully a decent sum in it. Move it to a retirement fund for a reasonable income to enjoy life with.

My main aim at the moment is to clear my mortgage and any other debts. Save a bit of extra cash for a rainy day fund and enjoy my life with my family.

eviltwin wrote: »
    Somebody on here might have a number were you can get help.

eviltwin wrote: »

That’s a great way to be but many of us are in jobs to pay the bills and don’t like / hate our jobs . Many jobs have become difficult due to micro management, managers unnecessarily nasty to staff , short staffed jobs, unrealistic targets. , other staff afraid to open their mouth etc etc .
    One would be better off not working with less money than in a job you don’t like which must impact your health .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

How could you remain on welfare from 50-65 surely they wouldn't pay you for that long? Maybe I am being naive. !!

Advertisement