Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Maps

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

A Topologically Correct Tube Map

twistedtubeextract-1024x754.jpg

Larger version here
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/fdansv/6099930985/in/photostream

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭chosen1

Is there a world version of that anywhere?

I got Yonkers, New York, and Jersey City for that one.

I'm strongest at Hawaii followed by New England area.

They have done an Irish and British dialect one which is pretty decent. Places me in Leinster excluding the Pale area (from Longford)

Try it out
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I got mostly the Boston area and some parts of California. Someone posted another, very similar, thing about Irish accents, a couple of years ago. Can't remember who, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

chosen1 wrote: »
    I'm strongest at Hawaii followed by New England area.

They have done an Irish and British dialect one which is pretty decent. Places me in Leinster excluding the Pale area (from Longford)

Try it out
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html

I have never heard any other person in Ireland ever refer to a woodlouse as anything other than a woodlouse...

528940.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Me too. I have a feeling a lot of irish people might

I got Lincoln, Baton Rouge, and Jacksonville. I think nearly a decade in Australia has messed with my vocabulary.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

Trams as Dublin's main form of transport – early 1920s, with detail of all tram routes, fares and zones, times to stops, and the long-distance lines, several kilometers out from the city, as well as the very few bus routes, and the "heavy" rail system
    Dublin_1922-23_Map_Suburbs_MatureTrams_wFaresTimes_Trains_EarlyBus_Canals_pubv2.jpg

And those trams still exist in the form of current bus routes, like the 65 to Blessington and the 25 to Lucan. Conyngham Road Garageand the Tram Yard apartments in Inchicore (like others) were depots.

I have never heard any other person in Ireland ever refer to a woodlouse as anything other than a woodlouse...

528940.JPG

I didn’t think woodlouses curled up. Hairy mollys do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It's a slater...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Fat pigs ,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Neither have I, but according to this article in The Examiner “Many people call them ‘slaters’”, which seems to be the common word in Scotland too.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/homeandoutdoors/arid-20368663.html

Dzr4xyFX4AUqMcI.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

And those trams still exist in the form of current bus routes, like the 65 to Blessington and the 25 to Lucan. Conyngham Road Garageand the Tram Yard apartments in Inchicore (like others) were depots.
    The blue rail line in the centre of southern Dublin is the old Harcourt street line. It's the core of the modern Luas green line.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Where's that?

Well you're not short up your way anway with Easky/Easkey, Inniscrone/Enniscrone, Ballysadare/Ballisodare, Portavade/Portavaud, Drumcliff/Drumcliffe etc.

Minefield!

As you enter Ballisodare from the Ballina side there are three signposts with three different spellings Ballisodare/Ballysadare/Ballisadare. If the council can't decide where the village begins and what it is called, what chance does a visitor have.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Neither have I, but according to this article in The Examiner “Many people call them ‘slaters’”, which seems to be the common word in Scotland too.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/homeandoutdoors/arid-20368663.html

Fat pigs in Cork, also Pishamares were stinging ants. the ones who'd get on you when you would sit on a stone. 'You'll be covered in Pishamares

Dzr4xyFX4AUqMcI.png

Fat pigs in Cork, also Pishamares were stinging ants. the ones who'd get on you when you would sit on a stone. 'You'll be covered in Pishamares'

Really wierd it turning up on that map.

I didn’t think woodlouses curled up. Hairy mollys do.

Hairy mollys are caterpillars

mikhail wrote: »
    The blue rail line in the centre of southern Dublin is the old Harcourt street line. It's the core of the modern Luas green line.

I know that?

What a strange interjection...

Tell us all about the Green line extension on the MGWR cutting from Broadstone.

As you enter Ballisodare from the Ballina side there are three signposts with three different spellings Ballisodare/Ballysadare/Ballisadare. If the council can't decide where the village begins and what it is called, what chance does a visitor have.

Janey, you were having a good old read of this thread with that post from April. :)

Yeah, official placenames in Ireland are a mess given there were two official authorities (Three now including An Roinn Gaeltachta et al) that had their own spelling systems.

Separate to this, for years I assumed Collooney and Coolaney were the same place because of that phenomenon.

Hairy mollys are caterpillars

I know, but they still curl up.

I know, but they still curl up.

Woodlice (Slaters/Fat pigs/etc, etc) curl up too.

woodlouse-600x400.jpg

Bir Tawil, between the border of Egypt and Sudan, is the only land on earth outside of Antartica that is not claimed by any country.

Egypt regards the border as the straight line from west to east, with Bir Tawil in Sudan, and Sudan says the border is the dotted line dipping down and then going north east, with Bir Tawil in Egypt. So each country claim it belongs to the other.

Both countries, however, lay claim to the neighboring Hala'ib Triangle.

5a0c5940ec1ade66c832b3d9?width=600&format=jpeg&auto=webp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Water John wrote: »
    Fat pigs in Cork, also Pishamares were stinging ants. the ones who'd get on you when you would sit on a stone. 'You'll be covered in Pishamares'

Really wierd it turning up on that map.

The stinging ants, we called "Pissmires".Smelled of urine.
    The woodlouse was a "fatback"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Bir Tawil, between the border of Egypt and Sudan, is the only land on earth outside of Antartica that is not claimed by any country
    I don't think it's the only example. But it is the biggest alright. And I think wildlife is doing very well in the land humans are leaving alone...

Edit - hmm; wiki says it is the only one and cites Alistair Bonnett, which is who I'd have checked! There used to be a similar no-man's land between Kuwait and Iraq afaik, though that was on an atlas from the 70s and maybe it's resolved now.

cdeb wrote: »
    I don't think it's the only example. But it is the biggest alright. And I think wildlife is doing very well in the land humans are leaving alone...

Edit - hmm; wiki says it is the only one and cites Alistair Bonnett, which is who I'd have checked! There used to be a similar no-man's land between Kuwait and Iraq afaik, though that was on an atlas from the 70s and maybe it's resolved now.

Not sure about that one. Didn't Iraq claim all of Kuwait at that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

how is that the same as a piece of land that nobody claims?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Not that long ago really ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 78,239 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cdeb wrote: »
    There used to be a similar no-man's land between Kuwait and Iraq afaik, though that was on an atlas from the 70s and maybe it's resolved now.

Between Iraq and Saudi Arabia. Between Iraq and Saudi Arabia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saudi_Arabian%E2%80%93Iraqi_neutral_zone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yes, that's exactly it! Thanks for that!

There's also a sliver of land between Serbia and Croatia called Siga Island which both countries claim belongs to the other. Same issue - to claim the 7 square miles would mean giving up a claim on 35 square miles nearby. So this isn't a no-man's land as such; this is land which neither are claiming, which is different (and so this does match the Bir Tawil case).

The border was marked by the river, but then the river changed course, but the border remained the same as an internal border of Yugoslavia, and didn't become an issue until the break-up - you can see the effect in this map, where both countries claim the yellow at the expense of the green:

800px-Croatia_Serbia_border_Backa_Baranja.svg.png

It has been proclaimed as the Republic of Liberland, but no-one recognises that.

how is that the same as a piece of land that nobody claims?

cdeb said there was a piece of land between Iraq and Kuwait in the 70s that was wasn't claimed by either. My point was that since Iraq claimed all of Kuwait at that time, it was unlikely to be the case. It's since been clarified that it was between Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Markcheese wrote: »
    Not that long ago really ...

I will probably get followed by the CIA for saying this.

But the stark reality of the Iraq invasion of Kuwait was that it was Kuwait who reneged on a loan repayment to Iraq. Once the US found out ( or instigated ) this they encouraged Kuwait to not repay the loan to Iraq, hence the invasion facilitated US intervention in the area.

The rest as they say "is history".

If I go missing I loved you all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I will probably get followed by the CIA for saying this.

But the stark reality of the Iraq invasion of Kuwait was that it was Kuwait who reneged on a loan repayment to Iraq. Once the US found out ( or instigated ) this they encouraged Kuwait to not repay the loan to Iraq, hence the invasion facilitated US intervention in the area.

The rest as they say "is history".

If I go missing I loved you all.

you have that backwards. Iraq owed Kuwait billions for loans to finance the Iran-iraq war. Invading kuwait would clear the debt

Advertisement