Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

I'm aware of the history thanks. There is no way that the german troops in finland could be said to be occupying the country. would you say that the 1.6m US troops in Britain duriing WW2 were occupying the country?

They were certainly occupying the minds of lots of Tommies. Overpaid, and Over sexed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'm aware of the history thanks. There is no way that the german troops in finland could be said to be occupying the country. would you say that the 1.6m US troops in Britain duriing WW2 were occupying the country?

No, as Britain and the US weren't at war. Finland and Germany were in 1944, so that's a fairly poor example.

The Germans, while withdrawing through Finland once the Finns started pushing them out, were using scorched earth tactics and demolished a serious amount of infrastructure in Lapland. They fought in Finland against Finland. How, in any sense of the word, were they not occupying that land?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,148 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No, as Britain and the US weren't at war. Finland and Germany were in 1944, so that's a fairly poor example.

The Germans, while withdrawing through Finland once the Finns started pushing them out, were using scorched earth tactics and demolished a serious amount of infrastructure in Lapland. They fought in Finland against Finland. How, in any sense of the word, were they not occupying that land?

running for your lives through a country is not occupying it. anyway, best to leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

running for your lives through a country is not occupying it. anyway, best to leave it there.

Fair enough. Not an invasion, I'd agree there, but they were accidental occupiers until they were ran out of the place :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Putain is considered stronger than merde, combining them is putain de merde, which is saved for the worst case scenarios :D

The kid friendly versions of these you often hear are puree (=mashed potatoes) or mercedi (=wedensday).

Interestingly in Quebec they done use Putain or merde, they use tabarnac. The swear words are religious paraphernalia

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Putain is considered stronger than merde, combining them is putain de merde, which is saved for the worst case scenarios :D

The kid friendly versions of these you often hear are puree (=mashed potatoes) or mercedi (=wedensday).

A bit like "sugar" is used here instead of "sh!t". I love the idea of purée and mercredi, they're brilliant!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

mercredi is amusingly like sanitising one of ours to 'see you next tuesday'

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

I can't think of the sanitised version of con or connasse (see you next tuesday) in french, they just use that one!:D

Keeping on the french theme:
    DaYdqqoX4AAUxEb?format=jpg&name=large
    Third one can also be:
    e64as8nid4141.jpg

I wasn't aware of the pain au chocolat vs chocolatine controversy. They seem to take it very seriously in Bordeaux where chocolatine predominates

https://twitter.com/SultanPopi/status/888016273237585921

I wasn't aware of the pain au chocolat vs chocolatine controversy. They seem to take it very seriously in Bordeaux where chocolatine predominates

https://twitter.com/SultanPopi/status/888016273237585921

Brilliant. That could feature in the YLYL thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

You will be refused service around Toulouse if you ask for a pain au chocolat!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

Map of Ireland showing the distribution of the
    records of the Archaeological Survey of Ireland.

Screenshot-20210514-223901-Drive.jpg

https://maps.archaeology.ie/HistoricEnvironment/

why so few in the west and donegal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

wicklow mountains are also sparse. probably boggy uplands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

wicklow mountains are also sparse. probably boggy uplands.

Yeah. And maybe because it’s Donegal.
    in the case of Donegal there is more “through the gap” in the East where it isn’t as rugged.

yep, worth considering that the archaeology which is known depends on several factors; where people actually lived and worked, and whether the artefacts of that were likely to survive; whether they're accessible, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

yep, worth considering that the archaeology which is known depends on several factors; where people actually lived and worked, and whether the artefacts of that were likely to survive; whether they're accessible, etc.

Yes definitely where people lived. If you zoom in on the map many of those red dots are ring forts. Ring forts seem to be typically situated on small hills but not mountains so I'd imagine people were rounding up their precious cattle and minding them at night from all these cattle raids mentioned in the annals etc. Cattle need grass and you also need to be able to find them and round them up easily, neither are possible in areas of high mountains.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Mullinabreena

why so few in the west and donegal?
    With the exception of uplands and bog I find it interesting how the west of the compares to the east. It would appear that the west has more archaeological survey sites. The east generally would have better land so historically more settlements? Its also more developed so you would imagine more sites would be discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Yes definitely where people lived. If you zoom in on the map many of those red dots are ring forts. Ring forts seem to be typically situated on small hills but not mountains so I'd imagine people were rounding up their precious cattle and minding them at night from all these cattle raids mentioned in the annals etc. Cattle need grass and you also need to be able to find them and round them up easily, neither are possible in areas of high mountains.

Post content = poster username.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

In other news the OPW have opened all sites in Ireland free of charge until the end of the year.

There's a map here, so no excuses for not finding out a bit more about our history. I had the OPW annual card a couple of times and it's excellent value.

https://heritageireland.ie/visit/places-to-visit/?map=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Unteeeitled-1-1024x437.jpg

Irelands most remote location, "A boggy hillside in the Nephin Beg mountains in Mayo. This point is just under 8km from the nearest road." https://goo.gl/maps/UM1RGwspJYv

https://threerockbooks.com/irelands-remote-point/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

RedRochey wrote: »
    Unteeeitled-1-1024x437.jpg

Irelands most remote location, "A boggy hillside in the Nephin Beg mountains in Mayo. This point is just under 8km from the nearest road." https://goo.gl/maps/UM1RGwspJYv

https://threerockbooks.com/irelands-remote-point/

I’ve been up there, it’s a pretty nice spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Bogwoppit wrote:
    I’ve been up there, it’s a pretty nice spot.

Me too. Bangor trailvand surrounds is a great walk if you ever get the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Also where people are living now, areas of continuous habitation repeatedly destroy older settlements.
    Also construction turns up many sites. Areas that are largely isolated now have less modern construction and surveys.

Seems to be some lines that correspond with motorways, but I expected to see more around the M1/M7/M8

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Roads in west Dublin known as Cloverhill Road.

553522.png
    © OpenStreetMap contributors

Victor wrote: »
    Roads in west Dublin known as Cloverhill Road.

553522.png
    © OpenStreetMap contributors

One of them is CloverHill Road. The other is Clover Hill Road.

One of them is CloverHill Road. The other is Clover Hill Road.
    Eircode, Ordnance Survey and both councils seem to call both of them Cloverhill Road.

Victor wrote: »
    Eircode, Ordnance Survey and both councils seem to call both of them Cloverhill Road.

weird, google maps has it as Clover Hill Road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

weird, google maps has it as Clover Hill Road.
    It also has part of one of them as Station Rd :)

• Advertisement

It also has part of one of them as Station Rd :)
    Cloverhill Road is the road according to the council, Station Road is the address of the houses. Unfortunately, this is common enough in Ireland.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Advertisement