Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Comments

RobertKK wrote: »
    I took part in this and I voted for to end it and keep summer time.

I think this must be the first vote that I have voted the same as Robert!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Which is better

Kids being driven and dropped off at schools in increasing brightness or in the dark with it not getting bright for another hour.

Many primary schools open between 9 and 9.30.

In the 20 to 15 mins before schools start kids are dropped off and supervised in playgrounds until they line up to go in.

If this change comes in that will be happening in the dark.

That does not happen currently.

Open schools in January one hour later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Much easier to put clocks forward or backwards twice a year.

Which is better

Kids being driven and dropped off at schools in increasing brightness or in the dark with it not getting bright for another hour.

Many primary schools open between 9 and 9.30.

In the 20 to 15 mins before schools start kids are dropped off and supervised in playgrounds until they line up to go in.

If this change comes in that will be happening in the dark.

That does not happen currently.

And kids can't hang around in semi darkness for 15 mins?
    Precious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

It'd be easier to just not put the clock's forward in March. Less hassle than leaving the country on perma BST time.

• Advertisement

In the winter its not.

For most people it’s the one month in January that’s the issue. And yes, it’s nice to wake up to brightness but it’s one month.

If it’s winter time all year the sun would set tonight at 7:15 in Dublin. Would have set by now.

My preference would be a short change to winter time for two months but if we are to not have a change then summer time all year is preferable.

It isn’t. And that’s not the option we are discussing here. I’m happy with changing the times but assuming the EU directive goes ahead : summertime > wintertime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

There are a couple of issues:

1. I'm not aware of the EU having any power to make law in that area. So it's just a suggestion.

2. It would be impractical to have two time zones on the Island of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

No.

EdgeCase wrote: »

1. I'm not aware of the EU having any power to make law in that area. So it's just a suggestion.

Don't worry the backstop is coming

• Advertisement

EdgeCase wrote: »

On your second point, no it wouldn't. It doesn't matter.
    Lots of countries bordering each other are in different time zones, makes no difference to life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I can remember when I was a child in the late 60s/early 70s, that there was a period of 2 or 3 years when the clocks did not go back in October. I can still remember starting the school day in mid winter in full darkness..

GarIT wrote: »
    No.

So let's say you have a family with two parents working.

One goes to work at 8 the other at 9.

The one that goes at 9 drops the kids to schools at 8.45 and can be at work for 9.

What do they do in January ?

Their employer let's them come in a hour later ?

They pay extra child care for the extra hours ?

Much easier to move the clocks on a bank holiday Sunday and at the end of march

So let's say you have a family with two parents working.

One goes to work at 8 the other at 9.

The one that goes at 9 drops the kids to schools at 8.45 and can be at work for 9.

What do they do in January ?

Their employer let's them come in a hour later ?

They pay extra child care for the extra hours ?

Much easier to move the clocks on a bank holiday Sunday and at the end of march

Most employers would follow the schools and opening times of everything else, it would be bad publicity not to. You commented on what would be easier, everything starting an hour later would be easier than the time changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Would mean abolishing IST (Irish Standard Time) and Ireland adopting GMT (Grenwich Mean Time) year round.

GarIT wrote: »
    Most employers would follow the schools and opening times of everything else, it would be bad publicity not to. You commented on what would be easier, everything starting an hour later would be easier than the time changing.

So the extra hour daylight I'm getting in the evening is of no use to me because I started work and hour late and have to stay an hour later.

Is the time change twice a year really that difficult ?

It's a stupid idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Niles Crane

Considering the amount of business we do with the UK and the fact that we are right beside them and have a land border with the UK it would be completely daft to go onto a different time than them.

Considering the amount of business we do with the UK and the fact that we are right beside them and have a land border with the UK it would be completely daft to go onto a different time than them.

And yet international companies manage with much more time difference

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭jeoun

Why not put the clocks back 30 minutes across Europe in October and then we are done with time changes forever?? This seems to be an easy solution that I have never heard anyone putting forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

jeoun wrote: »
    Why not put the clocks back 30 minutes across Europe in October?? This seems to be an easy solution that I have never heard anyone putting forward.

I'll go with that.
    /close thread/

• Advertisement

GLaDOS wrote: »
    All I know is it is depressing as fúck when the clocks go back and suddenly you're leaving work in almost complete darkness :(

By then the first stirrings the build up to Christmas have begun to try and lift the gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

right - so if Europe abolish DST .. and the UK is leaving europe next march or whenever it is, and going to keep DST - then we could find an hours difference between Republic of Ireland and northern Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

right - so if Europe abolish DST .. and the UK is leaving europe next march or whenever it is, and going to keep DST - then we could find an hours difference between Republic of Ireland and northern Ireland ?

Happens all over the world. Even within countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

If UK keep DST we will have same time as UK for 6 months and be one hour ahead of them for 6 months

I’ve been calling for this to happen for years. Changing clocks is idiotic and having extra light in the morning compared to the evening is a total waste. We should stay on summer time all year round.

I really can’t understand why anyone would prefer the extra light in the morning when you are sitting in work during the week and sleeping at weekends. It’s espeically at weekends that the extra hour in the evening would be most beneficial as a lot would probably leave work in darkness during the week even with the extra hour but it would still be a little brighter going home and give you that extra stretch on weekends rather than depressing dark evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I’ve been calling for this to happen for years. Changing clocks is idiotic and having extra light in the morning compared to the evening is a total waste. We should stay on summer time all year round.

I really can’t understand why anyone would prefer the extra light in the morning when you are sitting in work during the week and sleeping at weekends. It’s espeically at weekends that the extra hour in the evening would be most beneficial as a lot would probably leave work in darkness during the week even with the extra hour but it would still be a little brighter going home and give you that extra stretch on weekends rather than depressing dark evenings.

wouldnt the extra light in the morning help you to wake up better? - there is something about chemical in your brain that light triggers your biological system to wake up - if its dark in the mornings then it might make you feel more tired

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wexie wrote: »
    It already isn't, if you look at a map of the timezones more than half of the country should be in GMT -1 if you were to go by the orbit of the sun.
    Which is why we use Irish Standard Time here.

This change would mean we'd use IST all year around rather than just during the summer.

wouldnt the extra light in the morning help you to wake up better? - there is something about chemical in your brain that light triggers your biological system to wake up - if its dark in the mornings then it might make you feel more tired

It's not enough in the winter mornings to wake up anyway, may as well have the daylight when the majority can enjoy it most.

I’m a disaster in the morning anyway regardless of light or dark (I also have black out blinds and curtains so my room is pitch dark even in summe) also even as things are it’s dark when people are going to work. Having a bit more light in the evenings would be better for everyone and allow people to do things with a bit of light.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You can tell those who don't do a tap of work outside a commuting to an office type environment. They are so removed from the outdoor life they don't really think light matters until the weekend or summer hols.

The 30 minute compromise idea has some merit though.

Advertisement