Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back Hook!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

_Dara_ wrote: »
    I gotta say I never think of him in that way. He has always come across well-to-do to me.

That's just his posh Cork accent. It adds a certain gravitas to what would otherwise sound like the opinionated ramblings of an angry white van man.

If he spoke with a different accent, such as the one you hear from the Adrian Kennedy show callers, he'd just sound like the kind of person who calls Adrian Kennedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

Hooky is hard on the ears; it's like listening to a concrete mixer with a few shovels of gravel fcuked into it.

Don't get him started on WW2 or cowboy movies, he never shuts up.

A Bulldog chewing a wasp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

mariaalice wrote: »
    Like, Ivan Yeats and Sean Moncriffe, Ciara Kelly is alright bit crisp in her delivery, Stoped listening to the breakfast news show one of the presenters cant think of his name used to be a crime reporter anyway he comes across as having a massive ego he is just really irritating.

Not to mention neither of them being able to pronouce "th"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Articulacy is important in broadcasting, no?

Many broadcasters fail that test but Hook is elevated by many AH heads to the status of Very Good Broadcaster. Very Good Broadcasters are highly articulate at a minimum, in my view.

I never had an issue understanding him. If some would turn down their moral outrage to a dull roar, some common sense may seep into their thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

neirbloom wrote: »
    Darcy

I don't know what age you are but, once upon a time the RTE TV channels used to "close down" some time after midnight. There used to be a continuous beeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound and a funny (technical term) picture.

Id rate the beeeeeeeeeeeeeee better listening than D'arc'hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Heard her on about pay gap, she said all these points coming in from men that there's no problem with men getting paid more at the end of the piece. No Women texting in to ya Ciara must be because there not interested with the nonsense you go on about all the time maybe. Getting Ryanair to go into collages and telling women you can be pilots. I thought Men and Women are equal now from what the Feminists keep saying, or are Women all still delicate flowers that us Men have to tell them there allowed to choose a job I don't think so. Women can choose what they want to do they can also choose to be a Man if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I liked listening to Hook. It was a very enjoyable show.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Vorenus400

badtoro wrote: »
    I never had an issue understanding him. If some would turn down their moral outrage to a dull roar, some common sense may seep into their thinking.

Did you ever listen to High Noon? The first 15/25 minutes were George being outraged about some new cause every day. George was often heard to say "How Dare They."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭Odhinn

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Hook had his issues but at least he was fun to listen too IMO.

I've given Ciara Kelly the benefit of the doubt for long enough. She, as a broadcaster is woeful. The topics she is opting to feature are dull and over obvious. Its like she has a list of topics ranging from handy to hard and she pick the handy ones every time. By handy I mean topics that ask questions that nearly answer themselves. She's also constantly virtue signalling. It's nauseating at this point.

As long as no-one mentions drink, shes grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Bet her husband's liver is very healthy. (I assume she has one)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Not a fan of his but the way he was subjected to a witch hunt because of something he said on air was an absolute disgrace. Once you let the anti free speech totalitarian mob win then anyone could be targeted next. Why does anyone have the right to think someone should be sacked from their job because they say something you don't like so you're offended so bloody what you have no right to protection from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MurmanskRun

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    At least Moncreiff is still knocking about.

Oh, how I adore Sean. It's like a daily dose of auditory QI.

(For shame, I texted Ciara a while back, saying if I wanted disingenuous click-bait radio, I'd listen to FM104.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Thread needs a poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

He should never have apologised to the fakely outraged agenda driven PC mob. It was seen as a sign of weakness. Once noticed a feeding frenzy was the inevitable result. Badly advised maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I agree with the OP about Hook and think you can apply much of whats been mentioned to Newstalk, and the Last Word (Today FM) as a whole.

There was a certain agenda that got rid of Hook. I think that same agenda would love to get Ivan Yates and Niall Boylan off the airwaves also. I know Yates is on Newstalk but he would not be too dissimilar to Hook on many opinions, also he seems less likely to go along with the common social justice warrior opinion of the time opinion on many topics. The same can be said of Boylan.

A self-absorbed, bloated, garrulous, bombastic, prolix gentleman who struggles deeply with asking concise, pointed sharp questions - and then letting his guests answer without interruption.

There's no sense of empathy with the guest, no sense of genuine interest in what they feel or think. No actual engagement. No listening other than to hook on to a word and bring the whole thing back to himself. Most of all, because of this "It's all about me" approach to interviewees listeners do not get any insight or perspective which they could apply to or inspire their own lives.

He has ruined so many potentially good interviews by making each one all about him. And his pathetic patter of "I'm ignorant..." and "The lovely Ingrid" is just more of the same "It's all about me" blubber. At heart he's a dense, creatively limited gobshíte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Hook should have never been silenced by feminazzi Twitter brigade.

At least Newstalk took out Dil and O'Donoghue to annoy the libeals.

He said nothing wrong about the girl who was raped last year, PC faux outrage gone mad.

Would have loved to hear what he thought about the Ulster Rugby trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A self-absorbed, bloated, garrulous, bombastic, prolix gentleman who struggles deeply with asking concise, pointed sharp questions - and then letting his guests answer without interruption.

There's no sense of empathy with the guest, no sense of genuine interest in what they feel or think. No actual engagement. No listening other than to hook on to a word and bring the whole thing back to himself. Most of all, because of this "It's all about me" approach to interviewees listeners do not get any insight or perspective which they could apply to or inspire their own lives.

He has ruined so many potentially good interviews by making each one all about him. And his pathetic patter of "I'm ignorant..." and "The lovely Ingrid" is just more of the same "It's all about me" blubber. At heart he's a dense, creatively limited gobsh.
    Still more craic than anyone else on talk radio

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

He has ruined so many potentially good interviews by making each one all about him. And his pathetic patter of "I'm ignorant..." and "The lovely Ingrid" is just more of the same "It's all about me" blubber. At heart he's a dense, creatively limited gobshíte.

Don't hold back now - say what you really think. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Ciaras go to topics:
    * Some woman did something 1000 men do every day -aren't women great.
    * Children and smartphones
    * Gender pay gap
    * Aren't women great
    * Health
    * Consent
    * Alcohol
    * Aren't women great

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

badtoro wrote: »

His and his supporters whole defence of the comments that got him suspended was that he worded his views badly.
    Mutant z wrote: »
    Not a fan of his but the way he was subjected to a witch hunt because of something he said on air was an absolute disgrace. Once you let the anti free speech totalitarian mob win then anyone could be targeted next. Why does anyone have the right to think someone should be sacked from their job because they say something you don't like so you're offended so bloody what you have no right to protection from it.

He hasn’t lost the right to free speech. Firstly, he’s still on the radio. Secondly, even if he wasn’t, that doesn’t mean he lost his right to free speech. There are other avenues for him to express his views and those are in no way being constrained.

Is he being completely censored? For example, is he banned from using social media, from having articles published, from writing a blog? If the answer to any of these is no, then we’re not dealing with censorship here. Nobody has a god-given right to broadcast. And this is academic anyway because he is still on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

He stole and used knickers belonging to his mates ma

ffs like how could you listen to his opinion on anything after that

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

quintana76 wrote: »
    "Incapable of changing his opinion" Wouldn't be considered a crime if he held views of the more "approved" persuasion. Would it?
    Sure it would. Anyone who continually bangs the same drum, even when confronted with facts that disprove it, is irrational.

People who are incapable of changing their opinion are amongst the most dangerous to have in positions of power or broadcasting.

The number of salty people going on about "PC Agenda" in regards to Hook is hilarious. He was suspended for saying scumbag things about a woman that was raped. There's no getting around that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

gctest50 wrote: »
    He stole and used knickers belonging to his mates ma

ffs like how could you listen to his opinion on anything after that

Such diversity

That may all be true but at least he was in some way entertaining. It was nice to have a bit of wrong-think on the airwaves. Every presenter on radio now has the same safe space approved opinions and they toe the line. It's like listening to beige.
    There's a difference between counter-cultural opinions and "wrong-think" for the sake of it. I love to hear some good "wrong-think" that's well considered and puts forward data and ideas I haven't seen before.

Katie Hopkins, Piers Morgan, Ivan Yeates, George Hook. These people are not "wrong-thinkers". They're trolls. They state controversial opinions without a shred of supporting evidence because they know these opinions are controversial. Not because they believe them.

People who state controversial opinions with supporting evidence, with a strong rationale, are incredibly important for public discourse. They force society to question their assumptions and bring about real social change.

Trolls are damaging to public discourse. They stir the pot, incit anger and division, for nothing except their own celebrity. They cannot bring about positive change because the dissent they sow has absolutely no merit to it.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,921 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

doylefe wrote: »
    Ciaras go to topics:
    * Some woman did something 1000 men do every day -aren't women great.
    * Children and smartphones
    * Gender pay gap
    * Aren't women great
    * Health
    * Consent
    * Alcohol
    * Aren't women great

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Its on here in work and we call her show "women's hour"..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,944 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Hook was a great pinball table. Terrrible movie but great pinball table: Got to save Sally, got to save Jack. BANERANG!!!!!!!

....... oh wait, what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

seamus wrote: »

The number of salty people going on about "PC Agenda" in regards to Hook is hilarious. He was suspended for saying scumbag things about a woman that was raped. There's no getting around that.

Not a Hooky fan but to be fair it was very poorly worded by him, but then you have the New League of the Perpetually Outraged going to the trouble looking up phone numbers, ringing up customers of his son's business and asking 'why are you doing business with the son of a rapist?' and all the usual suspects venting on just about every medium to take a kick at a man when he's down.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

seamus wrote: »
    He was suspended for saying scumbag things about a woman that was raped. There's no getting around that.

Do you even know what he said?

Honestly, what he said is basically the advice I'll be giving my daughter when she's old enough to need and understand it.

Rather stupefyingly, some of what had him suspended was

"There is personal responsibility because it’s your daughter and it’s my daughter. And what determines the daughter who goes out, gets drunk, passes out and is with strangers in her room and the daughter that goes out, stays halfway sober and comes home, I don’t know. I wish I knew. I wish I knew what the secret of parenting is.

But there is a point of responsibility. The real issues nowadays and increasingly is the question of the personal responsibility that young girls are taking for their own safety."

Not exactly heretical, is it.....?

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Do you even know what he said?
    Yes.
    http://www.thejournal.ie/explainer-george-hook-newstalk-3600113-Sep2017/
    But modern day social activity means that she goes back with him. Then is surprised when somebody else comes into the room and rapes her.
    That's the bit. "How can you surprised that you were raped when you went back to a strange man's hotel room?".

It's offensive to men and women.

Advertisement