Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Could I be an Olympian in 2020?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The host country is expected to have a team for every sport. Find out what the Jspanese have no history in, get Japanese citizenship and train like hell! :P
    (For the London Olympics, the organisers put ads in local French papers looking for handball players with dual citizenship, for example.)

Did Thierry Henry apply? He might have got the dual citizenship given his years in London!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Did Thierry Henry apply? He might have got the dual citizenship given his years in London!
    Haha no even though he seems to have the skillz!

Actually one of the guys who was selected, I think he played in the 2nd division handball league in France, he wouldn't have come within an asses' roar of the French olympic team, so it was a nice opportunity for him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

esports could well be an Olympic sport in 2020. Try playing some esport orientated video games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

With certain sports you can forget it, gymnastics, boxing, certain track and field events. They take years of practice and and high levels of endurance that your not going to build in four years and probably never if you're starting at 30.

Now something like weight lifting, possibly running and rowing where you need to build up muscle and endurance could be possible although still highly unlikely.

There was a fella who attempted to get under the Olympic marathon qualification time from scratch, did pretty well but injury screwed him. I'll try and find the link

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

shooting

god knows we get enough practice in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Get citizenship for a country that has a **** team for something. Eg. it would be possible to achieve the level of Olympic team-member for any of the bottom 20 or 30 countries in chess in a couple of years:
    https://ratings.fide.com/topfed.phtml
    Maybe it's not the Olympics you want, but no one will ever know...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

You probably couldn't even put in the training to be a ballboy in the tennis in four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

I think i seen table tennis there. Surely that can't be too hard to master at your age.
    You are not going to the Olympics OP you are going to be sat on your couch watching it just like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

If you have money try stuff like sailing and equestrian

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

thelad95 wrote: »
    If you really wanted to, a sport like archery could well be mastered in that space of time.

Is that not just wire pulling with an aim?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Is that not just wire pulling with an aim?

I can do that. Straight into a sock. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

maudgonner wrote: »
    Rowing, as in having an argument, isn't so hard to excel in. But sadly it's not (yet) an Olympic event. Easy to get them confused. If it ever does get into the Olympics AH should send a team though.

No we shouldn't :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

No we shouldn't :mad:
    Well, I think we should. In fact, we should send two teams, for each type of rowing: Rowing with aggression, and Rowing with humour. And the word 'rowing' should always be in bold. So should 'bold'.

Any problems with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Well, I think we should. In fact, we should send two teams, for each type of rowing: Rowing with aggression, and Rowing with humour. And the word 'rowing' should always be in bold. So should 'bold'.

Any problems with that?

I disagree with everything you say for no reason at all :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Some of these sports are heavily skill based. Archery is not a physical sport, but the raw talent required would rule out 95% of the population being anything better than average.

Forget about rowing or lifting or any of those. Also serious skill required as well as very specific physiological attributes.

If you're tall and like throwing a ball I suggest you get a handball team together. It seems like the least skillful of the lot.

4 days should have you at Olympic level.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Any problems with that?
    I disagree with everything you say for no reason at all :mad:

Speaking as the chief executive of the RAI (Rowing Association of Ireland), as long as I get my first class flight, luxury hotel room and all the trimmings, I don't really give a shíte. I'll leave all the hard work to you athletes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

If you really want to compete in the Olympics the best way would be to get citizenship of a country that doesn't really send people to the olympics, set up an olympic qualification organisation. The IOC has a program to accept token athletes from countries where no one has qualified and you'd just need to get yourself sent under that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Well there was a Jamaican Bobsled team so why not an Irish Bobsled team? (Cool Runnings!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Stranger things have happened, OP

"At the age of 33, he took a look at himself in the mirror and realised he had to make something of his life. He took up running, and discovered he had a natural talent for it. He shed his 20-a-day smoking habit, stopped guzzling sweets and chocolate..." - then went on represent England in the marathon in the Commonwealth Games.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/commonwealthgames/10995170/From-16st-smoker-to-elite-marathon-runner.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I suggest Decathlon. You only need to be decent (i.e. medal winning) national standard in the 100m, Long Jump, High Jump, 400m, 110m Hurdles, Pole Vault and Javelin (maybe) and decent (maybe top 10) standard in the throws and you'd be good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,143 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Some of these sports are heavily skill based. Archery is not a physical sport, but the raw talent required would rule out 95% of the population being anything better than average.

Forget about rowing or lifting or any of those. Also serious skill required as well as very specific physiological attributes.

If you're tall and like throwing a ball I suggest you get a handball team together. It seems like the least skillful of the lot.

4 days should have you at Olympic level.

If a 40 year old woman can take up archery and get close to qualifying i dont see why the OP cant. Especially if he trying to qualify to represent ireland where there would be less competition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geena_Davis#Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

a referee or judge in some sport or other...preferably where one could just, sit, watch and judge...how would one go about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

El Tarangu wrote: »
    Stranger things have happened, OP

"At the age of 33, he took a look at himself in the mirror and realised he had to make something of his life. He took up running, and discovered he had a natural talent for it. He shed his 20-a-day smoking habit, stopped guzzling sweets and chocolate..." - then went on represent England in the marathon in the Commonwealth Games.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/commonwealthgames/10995170/From-16st-smoker-to-elite-marathon-runner.html

OP only has four years (3.5 really for qualification purposes). He'd need to be even more talented than Mr. Way who was able to knock out decent times for half marathons off drinking pints and smoking cigarettes. Sign up for a half there OP and see how you get on. 1:35 or so would indicate a decent amount of talent.

Unless you're female OP - the marathon standards are a bit more easily attained for women. You'd still have to work out a way to excluded the best female runners though because only three can be selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

signostic wrote: »
    a referee or judge in some sport or other...preferably where one could just, sit, watch and judge...how would one go about that?

If you're open to taking bribes your hired

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

jamesbere wrote: »
    If you're open to taking bribes your hired

but would you have to be a briber before becoming a bribee? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

dulpit wrote: »
    Just watching the closing ceremony now. Looks like fun, I want to go.

I'm 30, don't really have a sporting background and am quite unfit. I'm wondering if there's any sport or event which would be easy enough that I could pick up and master over next few years so I can go to Tokyo in 2020. Possible?

Choose a suitable sport (something sedate for yourself), then join Team GB and they'll get you up to speed by way of science & massive funding, courtesy of the National Lottery. You'll then be guaranteed at least a bronze in 2020 ... :))

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

dulpit wrote: »
    Just watching the closing ceremony now. Looks like fun, I want to go.

I'm 30, don't really have a sporting background and am quite unfit. I'm wondering if there's any sport or event which would be easy enough that I could pick up and master over next few years so I can go to Tokyo in 2020. Possible?

Power lifting. You could be a weight.

Edit: can't believe I forgot the obvious ones. Egg and spoon race. Failing that, three legged race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

learn_more wrote: »
    Rowing is hard to master ?
    Youd be surprised, like you cant go hell for leather from the start. Then it gets harder the more people in the team

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Well there was a Jamaican Bobsled team so why not an Irish Bobsled team? (Cool Runnings!)

We've had both male and female Olympic bobsleigh teams representing Ireland in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭764dak

What about race walking?

Advertisement