Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

German Politician charged for Auschwitz Tattoo

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

PucaMama wrote: »
    its your business to do the tattooing. i havnt once had to explain any tattoo i got and not all of mine are little cute tattoos either.

why should i engage you on that topic? we are so obviously miles apart in opinion

I don't randomly accost people and tell them I won't do a tattoo...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

PucaMama wrote: »
    a lot of people would say that about the owner of ANY tattoo. im sure the other poster wont be agreeing with them. :rolleyes:

They too are entitled to their opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Medusa22 wrote: »

Some games are also banned in Germany, such as Castle Wolfenstein because it contains nazi symbols, I think this is also a step too far. Now there is a problem with neo-nazis and I understand that no one wants to encourage or condone the use of nazi symbols, but the majority of the German population find it abhorrent to do so anyway. Give the people a bit of credit.
    Wolfenstein isn't banned though, there is a just a different version of the game for sale without nazi symbols in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Wolfenstein isn't banned though, there is a just a different version of the game for sale without nazi symbols in it

Oh I didn't know that, I thought it had been banned outright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I've only read this thread up to page 4, it started to get boring.

It's very sweet of you all to care so much about German sensitivities and jurisdiction. I appreciate it, being German myself.

But - it's a storm in a teacup. In Germany the outrage is quite limited. The state security is only examining (!) the whole affair after a journalist of the local rag told them.
    Legal experts think that the whole affair is going to be quashed anyway. Probably he gets a slap on the wrist and will be admonished to cover up. Which I hope he will do for aesthetical reasons alone. And I'm not only talking about his tattoos.

However, the guy is apparantly tattooed with other more obvious Nazi symbols on his considerable belly, but then he is a known Nazi anyway in a rather rightwing part of East Germany with loads of Neo-Nazis. I would worry more about the fact that he got elected into the local council in the first place. What does that say about the people in that constituency?

The juicy detail is that he was showing it off in a public swimming pool in Oranienburg, north of Berlin, one of the places with an actual Nazi concentration camp.

Anyway, you can tattoo yourself with whatever you want in Germany. Nobody cares. Neo-Nazism yields a lot more serious problems and concerns than bad taste in body adornement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Wibbs wrote: »
    K I have no issue with the negative reaction to this moron's expanding back fat tat. I share it. I do take issue with the idea of legally banning symbols and that whole German law itself.

You're gonna need one helluva big car. The siren was driven by a propeller a couple of feet across on one of the Stuka undercarriage struts, so kinda unwieldily. :D Later versions of the aircraft were usually not fitted with them as they caused notable drag. They also used to weld lengths of metal tube to the bombs themselves so they'd make an eerie whistling sound on the way down. There ya go weld some copper pipe to your car doors. Job done.

OK W,

You reduced German history to a glib 70 years Nazi history.

Germany has had to deal with 2 totalitarian regimes in recent history, one 25 years ago with the fall of the Berlin Wall. A nation that dealt with the Nazi thing, then had to deal with Communist police state system, in very recent memory.

2 maybe 3 generations of people who had to deal with 2 totally different regimes. Both not sympathetic to Jewish people. The Communist system covered up, ignored and kept people ignorant about the Holocaust.

So, it's no coincidence the guy in the OP is from East Germany.

Seriously, where do you think these attitudes build up? Parents
    mostly and 2 generations of autocratic regimes do not help. 2 generations who lived, and, remember many served under those juntas.

So just mentioning the Holocaust Industry stuff is too easy for me. Yep, very valid criticisms of it, but lots of this stuff is attention seeker's preaching to a captive audience. Criticise Israel all you want, I've joined in, but be careful of that turning into criticism of Germany.

Overall Germany has done a good job of recovering from 2 totalitarian
    regimes. They've managed what lots of other East European countries have struggled with, and in Russia's case, could be argued, replaced one totalitarian regime for another.

Concentration camps aren't from 70 years ago either, we had them in Europe 20 years ago.

Hell we had Nazis in government in Ukraine a year ago.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

germany is the new london

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Medusa22 wrote: »
    Oh I didn't know that, I thought it had been banned outright.
    No they just replace all the Nazi symbols with some rune symbol they made up themselves, you wouldn't even notice it to be honest unless you think about it. I actually got the tshirt in the pic below when I pre-ordered it but I've never worn it in public as it still looks too nazi-ish

http://picscdn.redblue.de/doi/pixelboxx-mss-65076468/fee_325_225_png/Wolfenstein%3A-The-New-Order-%28Fanbox-inkl.-limitiertes-T-Shirt%29-%5B%5D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Today in Germany the Jewish community is thriving - indeed quite a few young Israelis have applied for and have received German passports. This is very encouraging.

Right wing fascists like this politician charged with a tattoo of Auschwitz are, thankfully, in the very small minority. But there does seem to be lingering racism and anti-semitism in the East of the country. I suppose having two totalitarian regimes govern the country from 1933 to 1990 has left a legacy of evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

biko wrote: »

I assume that's the wide screen version?

• Advertisement

germany has hundreds of thousands of empty appartments

why are people sleeping in tents

wake up doctor merkel, haul your wonky ass outta bed and fix your country

(or are you too busy drinking schnaps)

how do you know when the chancellor has farted?

because it smells like burnt kippers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

XR3i wrote: »
    germany has hundreds of thousands of empty appartments

No. And it's apartment. Otherwise appartement (French).
    why are people sleeping in tents

They like camping?
    wake up doctor merkel, haul your wonky ass outta bed and fix your country
    (or are you too busy drinking schnaps)

The country is fine, thank you.
    Typing from the sofa being stoned? Getting a bit confused with a wonky brain?

Is that you Marcel Zech (the guy with the tattoo)?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Carry wrote: »
    No. And it's apartment. Otherwise appartement (French).

They like camping?

The country is fine, thank you.
    Typing from the sofa being stoned? Getting a bit confused with a wonky brain?

Is that you Marcel Zech (the guy with the tattoo)?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

sorry i don't know it's just i heard that merkel is mad for the drink

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

K-9 wrote: »
    So just mentioning the Holocaust Industry stuff is too easy for me. Yep, very valid criticisms of it, but lots of this stuff is attention seeker's preaching to a captive audience. Criticise Israel all you want, I've joined in, but be careful of that turning into criticism of Germany.
    Not sure what your last point means K? Anyway, truth, or at least the option of looking for the truth is screwed over by censorship, no matter how "well intentioned" it is. And censorship this is. Damned near every sordid little fcuked up truth miserly regime in history has been "well intentioned" and has been quick to promise and promote it's own version of "truth". So pardon me if I get hives when people pull censorship as being somehow "right thinking". Those two words alone should be overloading any bullshít detector one may possess.

Life is often a journey to find the balance between reality and bullshít. State censorship always gets in the way of that journey. No matter how well intentioned.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

OP have you ever thought you may in fact be, a Nazi?

Nah, I wouldn't get on too well under Nazi rule. I'd be for the chop if they were in charge. I look far more like the "small fat bald Jewish bast*rds" that Hitler gave out about, than the blonde haired, blue eyed Aryans that he liked.

So to answer your question, no, I'm not a Nazi.

I do however think that prosecuting him for having a distasteful tattoo is ridiculous.

People are far too easily offended these days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Nah, I wouldn't get on too well under Nazi rule. I'd be for the chop if they were in charge. I look far more like the "small fat bald Jewish bast*rds" that Hitler gave out about, than the blonde haired, blue eyed Aryans that he liked.
    Well, as the joke in Germany back then went not a lot of "Aryans" in the upper echelons of the Nazi party… Bland weedy little men mostly, failed accountants, with rat faces, with one obese eejit who was fond of wearing women's rouge and inventing new uniforms for himself.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Well, as the joke in Germany back then went not a lot of "Aryans" in the upper echelons of the Nazi party… Bland weedy little men mostly, failed accountants, with fat faces, with one obese eejit who was fond of wearing women's rouge and inventing new uniforms for himself.

Ah, maybe I would have fitted in back then so. :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Not sure what your last point means K? Anyway, truth, or at least the option of looking for the truth is screwed over by censorship, no matter how "well intentioned" it is. And censorship this is. Damned near every sordid little fcuked up truth miserly regime in history has been "well intentioned" and has been quick to promise and promote it's own version of "truth". So pardon me if I get hives when people pull censorship as being somehow "right thinking". Those two words alone should be overloading any bullshít detector one may possess.

Life is often a journey to find the balance between reality and bullshít. State censorship always gets in the way of that journey. No matter how well intentioned.

Well, I was responding to your comment about the holocaust industry and 70 years.

Seriously, I'm not sure what the above has to do with a tatoo depicting and celebrating Auschwitz!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Well, as the joke in Germany back then went not a lot of "Aryans" in the upper echelons of the Nazi party… Bland weedy little men mostly, failed accountants, with rat faces, with one obese eejit who was fond of wearing women's rouge and inventing new uniforms for himself.

Would that be Göring, by any chance?

• Advertisement
Advertisement