Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

German Politician charged for Auschwitz Tattoo

• 16-12-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/german-politician-charged-over-auschwitz-death-camp-tattoo-711713.html

Is this going a bit far? A German politician is being charged because he has a tattoo of the Auschwitz camp on his back. The authorities say it is illegal to have public displays of Nazism.

While distasteful to most people, what's the difference in displaying a tattoo of Auschwitz on your back or pictures of Auschwitz on book covers, or even pictures at the Auschwitz site itself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did he expect it for free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

BattleCorp wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/german-politician-charged-over-auschwitz-death-camp-tattoo-711713.html

Is this going a bit far? A German politician is being charged because he has a tattoo of the Auschwitz camp on his back. The authorities say it is illegal to have public displays of Nazism.

While distasteful to most people, what's the difference in displaying a tattoo of Auschwitz on your back or pictures of Auschwitz on book covers, or even pictures at the Auschwitz site itself?

Only a person trying to glorify something would gte a tatoo of it. So yes it is different from pictures of it appearing in books etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,395 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Sounds like a right Nazi piece of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Having a picture of a concentration camp on a book cover just tells you that the book is about concentration camps.

Having a tattoo of a concentration camp says you're a Nazi.
    People don't usually get tattoos of things they don't like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I think it's fair to say he's not doing it to say how bad the camps were.

biko wrote: »

He's more of a Fazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I would say it's drastically inappropriate for a politician of all people, who, in theory, are supposed to represent their people and from an outside perspective, act as a representative of their country.

I'd also say that the difference is context. If he also gets a load of text talking about Auschwitz on his back, grando, but as is one can only guess at the thousand words the picture is giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I hate Illinois nazis :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Another bather took a photo of the tattoo, which also carried the slogan from the Buchenwald concentration camp’s gate – “Jedem das Seine” or “To each his own”

I can see why people are outraged, he should really change it to read "To each their own"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Gas man.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

. The authorities say it is illegal to have public displays of Nazism
    No, the law says it is illegal to have public displays of Nazism. Not the "authorities". I'm all for free speech, but given their uncomfortable past and desire for Nazism to be killed off, I can see why the law exists.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

From reading that article, I was not in the least bit surprised to see that he comes from the former East Germany.

There does seem to be a hardcore of far right wing sentiment in the former East Germany. The politician in question is too young to even remember the fall of the Berlin Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

That is not ok. He may do what he wants with his own body.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

That is not ok. He may do what he wants with his own body.

No he may not. In particular, in Germany, he may not use it to display symbols associated with the Nazi regime or their actions. This is especially so given this man's political affiliations. The Germans, being a right-thinking and decent people, do not consider this kind of thing appropriate or acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

jimgoose wrote: »
    No he may not. In particular, in Germany, he may not use it to display symbols associated with the Nazi regime or their actions. This is especially so given this man's political affiliations. The Germans, being a right-thinking and decent people, do not consider this kind of thing appropriate or acceptable.

I don't think the tattoo is appropriate but when the Government step in and say it's a crime to have a drawing on your back, I think that's a bit far.

Is every single Nazi symbol illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I don't think the tattoo is appropriate but when the Government step in and say it's a crime to have a drawing on your back, I think that's a bit far.

It's not illegal to have a drawing/this tattoo on your back, it's illegal to display it.

I think that's pretty fascist.

I think that's pretty fascist.

I think you know well how raw and upsetting all that business still is in Germany, and are trying to be all edgy and left-field for kicks.

I think you know well how raw and upsetting all that business still is in Germany, and are trying to be all edgy and left-field for kicks.

That some chip you have there.

I like government kept out of bodily affairs. I'd like to see the tattooist's hands broken by other tattooists

• Advertisement

...Is every single Nazi symbol illegal?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_section_86a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Not a happy camper.

That some chip you have there.

I like government kept out of bodily affairs. I'd like to see the tattooist's hands broken by other tattooists

I like people's bodily affairs kept out of my view. Particularly when the aforementioned bodily affairs include displaying symbols like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Carpo II

Ah yes. Have 'Right-Thinking and Decent' people determine what its legal for someone else to do with their body, that always works out so well. So who gets to decide what counts as 'Right-Thinking and Decent' people again?

I like people's bodily affairs kept out of my view. Particularly when the aforementioned bodily affairs include displaying symbols like that.

I thought this might be about what you find acceptable to look at alright.

I thought this might be about what you find acceptable to look at alright.

It has nothing to do with what I find acceptable to look at, you'll find that this whole tale pertains to Germany. Strafgesetzbuch section 86a applies there, not here. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Why? It eliminates all of this "I wonder if yer man is just a bit right wing or a Nazi?" crap.

Nodin wrote: »
    Why? It eliminates all of this "I wonder if yer man is just a bit right wing or a Nazi?" crap.

Well, let him wear hot-pants and a tattoo of Donald Trump on his arse-cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well, let him wear hot-pants and a tattoo of Donald Trump on his arse-cheek.

Not the point. My time for the shower is fairly limited as is well known, but he should be entitled to put that stuff on his own skin. Rather undermines any denials he might make.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

So if you have a swastika tattoo on your face, you would have to wear a balaclava? And maybe shades too.

Advertisement