Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shooting in California

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

RobertKK wrote: »
    ABC news in the US are speculating it was an ISIS attack.

FFS, this place will freak out just at the thought of that.

It's probably a bunch of disgruntled white guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

There was a suspects name mentioned on the scanner earlier, it didn't sound like the name of a WASP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Seemingly multiple explosive devices. It was reported that a robot was dealing with an IED a little earlier.

Also there's nothing to suspect that Muslims or ISIS are involved.

Could just be the run of the mill CT guys anti big Government. I would wager CT sites are going mad at the moment with false flag and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I see on the live reddit link:

CORRECTION: A witness at Roberts Elementary reported a camouflaged middle-eastern man with a beard wearing a headset at the Waterman Discount Mall - possibly armed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

It'd be a bit strange if it was. Doesn't really seem to fit them. There's nothing particularly important about the target & nothing going on there that conservative Muslims would regard as haram as far as I can gather. It's a centre for mentally disabled people ffs. The news are saying that the centre was hosting "an event" at the time of the shooting but haven't specified what that was about. Could that have been the target, was it on a controversial topic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Jinonatron

I would just like to point out this to those who will inevitably bash America's gun policy and call for gun control.

France was a gun free zone 3 weeks ago during the attacks. Food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,722 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Custardpi wrote: »
    It'd be a bit strange if it was. Doesn't really seem to fit them. There's nothing particularly important about the target & nothing going on there that conservative Muslims would regard as haram as far as I can gather. It's a centre for mentally disabled people ffs. The news are saying that the centre was hosting "an event" at the time of the shooting but haven't specified what that was about. Could that have been the target, was it on a controversial topic?

It depends who the attackers are. If they were ISIS for example, well they kill who they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

A mall is being evacuated with reports of an armed individual inside

Custardpi wrote: »

Not saying it it's ISIL but their modus operandi is to shoot as many as possible and not necessarily military targets more civilians the better in their eyes. Seems odd this seems to be about a conference event. You would have thought It would be all over the media what was going on inside or who was running the event ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Looking at that Reddit thread, might not have been a great decision to go out and about in your army surplus gear today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Jinonatron wrote: »
    I would just like to point out this to those who will inevitably bash America's gun policy and call for gun control.

It is? laws restricting gun ownership doesn't mean zero gun crime? Anyone ever arguing differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

This feels different to the sadly all too familiar mass shooting in the US, but it does seem an unusual target for Daesh so I wouldn't be jumping to that conclusion yet.

Not really does France have a problem with mass shootings ?

No gun control regime can ever be perfect & no advocate of it would ever claim that possibility. Gun violence in the US however, whether for personal, political or gang related reasons is out of control however when compared to other countries. There has to be a way to reconcile 2nd amendment rights with the protection of the public. California does have stricter laws but how difficult is it to simply obtain weapons in a laxer state & transport them there?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

If only some other heavily armed members of the public were there to save the day. The American and French public needs more access to weapons for these street fights. :rolleyes:
    If only I could walk around everywhere needing to carry a gun, and have my gun with me at all times so I can stroke it when the desire arises, then finally I'd feel like a grown up in a civilized society. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

La Fenetre wrote: »
    If only some other heavily armed members of the public were there to save the day. The American and French public needs more access to weapons for these street fights. :rolleyes:

california restricts the ability of its citizens to bear arms in public

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What event was being held in the centre?

Not saying it it's ISIL but their modus operandi is to shoot as many as possible and not necessarily military targets more civilians the better in their eyes. Seems odd this seems to be about a conference event. You would have thought It would be all over the media what was going on inside or who was running the event ?

The Bataclan was targeted because it was a venue where the sexes mixed & people danced - both activities considered extremely sinful by Salafists. Obviously the fact that it held a large amount of people & was difficult to escape from would have been a factor but there was definitely a religious/political motivation for that particular type of building.

In the case of San Bernardino I'd be surprised if there wasn't plenty of other venues in the area where large amounts of civilians could be found. If it was politically motivated it must have been targeted though it could perhaps be a mistake by people intending to attack the Planned Parenthood building.

• Flightradar24 now showing an FBI plane flying overhead. Homeland Security and them have now been seen in the air.

The place attacked was seemingly a centre/hospital dealing with people that have developmental disabilities.

strelok wrote: »

Colorado has open carry does it not ? Did not stop that guy shooting up the cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Colorado has open carry does it not ? Did not stop that guy shooting up the cinema.

afaik that branch of cinemas banned guns on its property
    So why did the killer pick the Cinemark theater? You might think that it was the one closest to the killer’s apartment. Or, that it was the one with the largest audience.

Yet, neither explanation is right. Instead, out of all the movie theaters within 20 minutes of his apartment showing the new Batman movie that night, it was the only one where guns were banned. In Colorado, individuals with permits can carry concealed handgun in most malls, stores, movie theaters, and restaurants. But private businesses can determine whether permit holders can carry guns on their private property.

Most movie theaters allow permit holders carrying guns. But the Cinemark movie theater was the only one with a sign posted at the theater’s entrance.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/09/10/did-colorado-shooter-single-out-cinemark-theater.html

Strange the lack of information getting out

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

strelok wrote: »

There you go then, if only members of public were allowed to walk around with guns in case a fight breaks out, just think how many lives would be saved ?

• Strange the lack of information getting out

Not really that strange. It is an active situation, where the shooters could be monitoring feeds/online discussions/social media, so it's better to keep information to a minimum.

Seemingly mall shooting is unrelated and was a parole violator.

Not really that strange. It is an active situation, where the shooters could be monitoring feeds/online discussions/social media, so it's better to keep information to a minimum.

Happened three hours ago is that correct these us shootings are usually done and dusted suspects dead and and news conference in the hour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

The mental equivalent of a fuccking happy meal in fairness when you consider how many mass shootings have occurred this year (this WEEK, even) in the USA vs the same in France.

Cop on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

Watchin Fox News here. The presenter is some pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

What event was being held in the centre?

Ive read it was a Christmas party for county health employees, but don't know how accurate that is

• Happened three hours ago is that correct these us shootings are usually done and dusted suspects dead and and news conference in the hour

News conference starting shortly.

12 confirmed dead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Thread title changed.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement