Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irritating American names for things

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Ah here, leave it out!

That language is too posh for me, gerrup outta dat you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

What I can't stand is the increasing proliferation of American accents in not just our kids but also in highflying corporate wannabes who've just completed an MBA. Someone from the middle of Kerry or Kilkenny shows a noticeable change in accent and increase in corporate bull**** terms by the day, all in the mistaken believe that it will improve their appearance. Isation changes to ...ization, and of course, at this time of the year they're all using up their annual leave...vacation days.

There's nothing wrong with Americans themselves speaking their dialect. Everywhere has a dialect, and Ireland is no exception. It's when the thick Irish wafflers feel the need to change their whole way of communicating to give them a mistaken sense of superiority that I have a problem. Dumbass a-holes, man.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There's a popular bar-food (pub grub) dish in the US (at least in NY when I used to live there called "Steak Tidbits". It's basically small pieces of steak on a garlic bread baguette and has maybe onions and melted cheese on top. It's pretty good.

I went into one place and, like you mentioned, not only was the word "tit" too risque.....it seems so to was the word "tid" (Heavens forbid it might sound like "tit") so they called this dish "Steak Thumbits"

What a bunch of effing prudes.

I wonder what they call blue tits, coal tits, etc (the birds, I mean). :/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

baloney sandwich instead of ham sandwich

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Mad_maxx wrote: »

So what a load of ham then?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

"Math" seems to be gaining traction this side of the pond.

With more than a little help from Pat Kenny on his Newstalk radio show, where he never misses an opportunity to drop the s and do the math :mad:

Media plays a massive part in how our language changes & evolves, so we could do without people like Mr Kenny and his "ever so cool" use of math!

More people should text or phone-in to complain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Like what?

Why the fuck would you call a quilt a "comforter"?

Why would you call an exhaust pipe a "muffler" ...... high-tech term that..."muffler"?

A "cookie" for a biscuit? WTF?

A "pinky" for one's little finger?

"Hey, would you guys like some barbecue?" (Do you mean FOOD?)

They call indicators (you know, those lights on a vehicle that indicate if you are turning left or right) ...they call them "directionals" GIVE ME PEACE!

They call them turn signals, actually.

One of the amusing things about this whole topic is the amount of hate or annoyance on certain words or phrases that aren't even said by them. :pac:

Another amusing thing is that some of you don't seem to allow for any respect whatsoever for their own culture. Biscuits and gravy is a very popular breakfast dish there, and chicken and dumplings (the dumplings are more like biscuits) is a popular dinner meal. They're both traditional meals. Biscuits there are almost always savoury or plain. Cookies aren't even close to what a biscuit is anyway, which to us are scones.

Barbecue is a reference to cooking food specifically on such a piece of equipment called a barbeque. I found that most American homes had a bbq. It's a cooking method or specific style of food there which is popular because they actually have decent summers and spend a majority of it outside and/or camping. They bring their bbq's when camping and in fact many sites around the country actually have them built into their grounds in each space. It's just their culture, get over it. I suppose you really hate it when Australians refer to it as a barbie. lol.
    Some of you really haven't a clue and it shows.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

"Hey, would you guys like some barbecue?" (Do you mean FOOD?)

"Would you like to stay for tea?"

(Do you mean FOOD?)

Yea, we do it too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

My one major bugbear is Math, as in "You do the Math".

FFS its Maths short for Mathematics and even the feckin snidey spellchecker picks it up as wrong. Pretty sure they should be saying Arithmetic in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

Purgative wrote: »

FFS its Maths short for Mathematics and even the feckin snidey spellchecker picks it up as wrong. Pretty sure they should be saying Arithmetic in any case.

And Math is short for Maths

Like what's the big deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

And Math is short for Maths

Like what's the big deal

Big deal? What's the big deal with the rest of the thread?

We're all just pi55ing into the wind, instead going out into the real world..

Big deal? What's the big deal with the rest of the thread?

We're all just pi55ing into the wind, instead going out into the real world..

Getting to that point where we should be giving it a quick shake and putting it away till the next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Windshield windscreen ✓

• Registered Users Posts: 20,478 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Arithmetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Baloney isnt ham its a type of sausage meat. The real is issue is the use of the word baloney instead of bologna.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Ball ta moir instead of Bal tee more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Golf.

Birdie is one under par for a hole.
    Eagle is two under par for a hole.
    Albatross is three under par for a hole.
    Continuing the ornothology theme, a Condor is four under par for the hole.

In America? An albatross (3 under par) is called a Double Eagle. It makes no sense. Mathematically, a double eagle is 4 under i.e. a Condor but that's what they call it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Westernworld.

I don't mind the new use of the word takeaway

It's when they extend it and start asking what's your " key takeaways"

I get this urge to start replying about curry chips and burgers

You have adapted OK to the oddity that is "curry chips".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Like most of these words, it made an easy transition to business bullshít bingo here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Baloney isnt ham its a type of sausage meat. The real is issue is the use of the word baloney instead of bologna.

If you dhink abboud id tho, them eyetalians fresh from the docks would prolly have pernounced it data way.

The last syllable is a sloppy pronunciation that does away with the "a."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I get a bug kick outta this thread. I am on the receiving end of it, and it makes me think back to the shock of dealing with another vernacular when living in Ireland.

Quebec French differs quite a bit from that in France, but that is the fun of it, and it is valid unless you think the "mother country" has the last word on words. We need a world that isn't totally standardized.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Why do most Irish radio stations use American accents in their jingles? Do they outsource the recording to a third party in the US or is there another reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

Probably covered already but need to get these off my chest:

- Winningest
    - Burglarized

Bonus one Irish people say even though it's not a word:

- Irregardless

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Why do most Irish radio stations use American accents in their jingles? Do they outsource the recording to a third party in the US or is there another reason?

They think it sounds more authentic and/or the person doing the jingle actually has one those dreadful mid atlantic acCENTS? You what the ones that go up at the end of every senTENCE? Like everything is a quesTION?

- Winningest
    - Burglarized

- Irregardless

Really bugs me that one and its use has become quite common.

I notice that Irregardless gets the red squiggly line under it as a spelling mistake but googles spell checker is happy with the other two :mad:

Aren't people just mixing up irrespective and regardless to get irregardless?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Cupcakes

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Regardless is already a negative meaning without regard. So irregardless makes no sense at all. Without without regard?

How can you listen to so many stations?

• Advertisement

- Winningest
    - Burglarized

- Irregardless

You know better than the people who compile dictionaries?

https://www.onelook.com/?w=irregardless&ls=a&loc=home_ac_irre

Advertisement