Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
02-11-2020, 13:12   #46
Niner leprauchan
Registered User
 
Niner leprauchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAThought View Post
No. They wouldn’t hand over the keys if they saw from your financial paperwork applying for the lease/loan that you could not afford to live and pay for it. You would remain keyless and on foot.

And they wouldn’t accept a promise from your mammy to pay the balance into your account so you could then decide whether to pay it to the car lease firm - it would be going directly into their bank account to pay the ongoing lease debt. Or you’d be told to move on to the next shop.
Correct. As it should be in this case too
Niner leprauchan is offline  
Advertisement
02-11-2020, 14:27   #47
BnB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner leprauchan View Post
No company let's you rent a car and then demands that the passengers take their share of the cost though do they?
You've missed the point entirely.

My point is not that what I think the LL is doing is right.

It sounds like incredibly bad business from the LL and if I was the OP, I would walk away. Also - to say, the OP sounds perfectly reasonable and I think the LL is making a mistake by not taking them on, on their own.

I am arguing against the tone of some posters here (not the OP) that seem to think the LL has no right to put whatever controls they want in place before they lease it out.

My point is that it is an extremely valuable asset and the LL has the right to put any controls in place that he feels are necessary to protect it. Especially considering the fact that once they allow someone to get in the door, all the rights are on the tenants side so they are fairly powerless to do anything about it. So, as long as he's not asking for anything illegal like cash in hand to avoid tax or anything that could be classed as racist etc then that's his right. And if exercising that right lose's him what sounds like a perfectly good tenant in the OP, well then that's his loss.
BnB is online now  
(2) thanks from:
02-11-2020, 19:32   #48
Niner leprauchan
Registered User
 
Niner leprauchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnB View Post
You've missed the point entirely.

My point is not that what I think the LL is doing is right.

It sounds like incredibly bad business from the LL and if I was the OP, I would walk away. Also - to say, the OP sounds perfectly reasonable and I think the LL is making a mistake by not taking them on, on their own.

I am arguing against the tone of some posters here (not the OP) that seem to think the LL has no right to put whatever controls they want in place before they lease it out.

My point is that it is an extremely valuable asset and the LL has the right to put any controls in place that he feels are necessary to protect it. Especially considering the fact that once they allow someone to get in the door, all the rights are on the tenants side so they are fairly powerless to do anything about it. So, as long as he's not asking for anything illegal like cash in hand to avoid tax or anything that could be classed as racist etc then that's his right. And if exercising that right lose's him what sounds like a perfectly good tenant in the OP, well then that's his loss.
Except you are wrong because theres restrictions in contract conditions and any that contained such clauses would almost certainly be dismissed if he attempted to enforce it.
Niner leprauchan is offline  
02-11-2020, 20:44   #49
poker--addict
Registered User
 
poker--addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 470
LL has the right to ask I would suggest. Enforceable is a secondardy debate "niner leprauchan". You can both be right without shouting others down.
poker--addict is offline  
02-11-2020, 21:25   #50
BnB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niner leprauchan View Post
Except you are wrong because theres restrictions in contract conditions and any that contained such clauses would almost certainly be dismissed if he attempted to enforce it.
Again, you've completely missed the point...

Does he have the right to put the clause in an agreement... YES
Does he have the right to not allow someone to move in because they don't sign that agreement... YES
Would he be able to kick someone out in a few months time if they subsequently break that clause in the agreement.... Different argument completely... But for what it's worth, highly unlikely I'd say
BnB is online now  
Advertisement
03-11-2020, 10:11   #51
Niner leprauchan
Registered User
 
Niner leprauchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 2,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by BnB View Post
Again, you've completely missed the point...

Does he have the right to put the clause in an agreement... YES
Does he have the right to not allow someone to move in because they don't sign that agreement... YES
Would he be able to kick someone out in a few months time if they subsequently break that clause in the agreement.... Different argument completely... But for what it's worth, highly unlikely I'd say
Let's follow this logic:

The contract states that the landlord can enter at will. it gives the landlord the right to demand sex instead of payment. The landlord can remove the tenants underwear. The landlord can install cameras in the bedrooms.

Try it, see if the courts agree with your position
Niner leprauchan is offline  
03-11-2020, 10:28   #52
Graham
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 14,223
Mod Note

Niner, knock it off.

Do not reply to this post.
Graham is online now  
03-11-2020, 10:32   #53
sbsquarepants
Registered User
 
sbsquarepants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by listermint View Post
No, it's weird. Simple as that.

It's very weird.


It's none of his business where the money comes from, he either gets it or he doesn't - that should really be his only concern!
sbsquarepants is offline  
03-11-2020, 10:53   #54
Eric Cartman
Registered User
 
Eric Cartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24,100
its weird to ask for his parents, but if I were the landlord I wouldn't be allowing the unemployed lad be named on the lease. All monies from the employed person and if the boyfriend can't pay, its on her.
Eric Cartman is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet