Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LEAP CARD - Updated Summary of Cards/Functionality Available - February 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You dont pay for a deposit with a student travel card.

You do it's part of the €13 charge as far as I am aware.

wiz569 wrote: »
    Yes its a leap card m8,I think all student travel cards are now tbh,

Anyway went down to a different shop with him and they just stuck the rambler ticket on his leap card with no questions regarding needing an extra €5 credit,although I did advise him to get some anyway,

Thanks for taking the time to answer m8,its appreciated :)

I think it must be a bit confusing for some shop workers because there has been so much of a change and loads didn't get much help at been shown how to use the machines.

Even the ticket machines we have in the bus are not the easiest to use as there is so much to go through and also they aren't the quickest either and do crash/stall a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

I think it must be a bit confusing for some shop workers because there has been so much of a change and loads didn't get much help at been shown how to use the machines.

Even the ticket machines we have in the bus are not the easiest to use as there is so much to go through and also they aren't the quickest either and do crash/stall a lot.

I take it your a bus driver m8?

So in a nutshell its pre-paid tickets on your leap card,validate on the right

Using credit stored on card,to buy a fare from the driver using the machine on the left,

And you can use both types of payment on the same day, automatically, without the whole thing falling down?

Is the correct guys?

I take it your a bus driver m8?

So in a nutshell its pre-paid tickets on your leap card,validate on the right

Using credit stored on card,to buy a fare from the driver using the machine on the left,

And you can use both types of payment on the same day, automatically, without the whole thing falling down?

Is the correct guys?

If he say doesn't want to use a full day up when say only going 1 trip then it would be cheaper to use the cash purse as it's called.

Yes a driver myself.

Oh also the card can be used to allow a companion travel once there is enough credit for that journey left on the card.

If rambler is loaded the validator smart card machine will automatically use that untill it has been used up then it will automatically use the max cash fare of €2.50. So if travelling less then 13 stages ask the driver for the fare by stating the desired destination.

If he say doesn't want to use a full day up when say only going 1 trip then it would be cheaper to use the cash purse as it's called.

Yes a driver myself.

Oh also the card can be used to allow a companion travel once there is enough credit for that journey left on the card.

If rambler is loaded the validator smart card machine will automatically use that untill it has been used up then it will automatically use the max cash fare of €2.50. So if travelling less then 13 stages ask the driver for the fare by stating the desired destination.

Cheers m8,its great to get info straight from the guys in the firing line,so to speak :)

So both interior systems work independently of each other and if say he uses cash from the purse for one fare,then later needs to use the rambler,providing he uses the validator on the right its an automatic transaction,he wont for example need the driver to "switch the card" back into rambler mode from purse mode or vice versa,

Does that make sense?

• Advertisement

Cheers m8,its great to get info straight from the guys in the firing line,so to speak :)

So both interior systems work independently of each other and if say he uses cash from the purse for one fare,then later needs to use the rambler,providing he uses the validator on the right its an automatic transaction,he wont for example need the driver to "switch the card" back into rambler mode from purse mode or vice versa,

Does that make sense?

Correct thats how it works.

Correct thats how it works.

Cheers m8 it's very much appreciated :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You do it's part of the €13 charge as far as I am aware.

It's there as its part of Leap, but the student isn't paying for it. If they cancel the leap function or it becomes faulty, they'll only get the purse value in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Yes a driver myself.

Not quite true. It will default to the cash purse after 20:00 at night so if you were for example going into town at 20:30 and back on the last bus it would take off 5.00 by default..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Hi all,

I recently lost my student rambler ticket and all of the shops I've tried said that they don't make them anymore. Can someone explain to me the process behind getting a leap card? I don't have a student travel card unfortunately, if I walk into a shop that sells leap cards can I buy one using my student ID or is there an online process that involves posting it out to me? I'd like to get one as quickly as possible because getting 4 buses without one is very draining on my finances! The worst case scenario I can think of is that I have to apply for a student travel card, wait for it to be posted out to me and then use it to get a leap card. Unfortunately this would cost me nearly a tenner a day on buses alone and I really can't afford that!

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Hi all,

I recently lost my student rambler ticket and all of the shops I've tried said that they don't make them anymore. Can someone explain to me the process behind getting a leap card? I don't have a student travel card unfortunately, if I walk into a shop that sells leap cards can I buy one using my student ID or is there an online process that involves posting it out to me? I'd like to get one as quickly as possible because getting 4 buses without one is very draining on my finances! The worst case scenario I can think of is that I have to apply for a student travel card, wait for it to be posted out to me and then use it to get a leap card. Unfortunately this would cost me nearly a tenner a day on buses alone and I really can't afford that!

Thanks.

To avail of the student fares you must have a student travelcard.

This will also double up as a student LEAP card - you should be able to get one at your college on the spot.

You can only load student tickets onto the student LEAP card.

Click here and follow the links for more information.

Or visit www.studenttravelcard.ie

You can get a normal adult LEAP card by walking into any payzone agent and purchasing one on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

lxflyer wrote: »
    To avail of the student fares you must have a student travelcard.

This will also double up as a student LEAP card - you should be able to get one at your college.

You can only load student tickets onto the student LEAP card.

Click here and follow the links for more information.

You can get a normal adult LEAP card by walking into any payzone agent and purchasing one on the spot.

I suspected I might have to go into college. The problem is I'm on placement on the other side of the city and the office opening hours are pretty much the same as my working hours! I guess I'll just have to apply online and have it posted out.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suspected I might have to go into college. The problem is I'm on placement on the other side of the city and the office opening hours are pretty much the same as my working hours! I guess I'll just have to apply online and have it posted out.

Thanks.

It only takes a couple of days to come by post.

Thanks.

It might be worth getting a normal adult card in the meantime while you're waiting - it has a €5 refundable deposit, so you can claim it back when you get your student card.

It will mean that your bus fares cap at €6.90 each day or €27.50 per week if you use it in the epurse pay-as-you-go mode.

As I said above, you can get an adult card in any payzone agent.

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Not quite true. It will default to the cash purse after 20:00 at night so if you were for example going into town at 20:30 and back on the last bus it would take off 5.00 by default..

Do rambler day tickets no longer mean a full day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Do rambler day tickets no longer mean a full day?

They are valid for the full day but my understanding is that if you start a trip after 20:00 it will default to the epurse (if there is credit) because the system assumes you may only be making a single trip at that time and its trying to save you a days Rambler use.. The Rambler can still be used at this time but requires driver interaction..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Can anyone help I'm coming over to Dublin in the summer and looking to get a leap card as its just easier. We are staying for 3 days so is there a 3 day travel card we can get? Can it be preloaded onto the card and sent to us before we arrive or can we pick one up at Dublin airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

True to a point...If you have validated a Rambler for that day then it will continue to validate to close of business....The 20:00 default only comes into play if the FIRST validation of the day is occuring after that time.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

afatbollix wrote: »
    Can anyone help I'm coming over to Dublin in the summer and looking to get a leap card as its just easier. We are staying for 3 days so is there a 3 day travel card we can get? Can it be preloaded onto the card and sent to us before we arrive or can we pick one up at Dublin airport?

There is a 72 hour ticket.
    http://dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Tourist-Tickets/

I don't know if it can be loaded on a Leapcard. It seems to be able to be bought through Ticketmaster, but don't know if they would deliver internationally.

They are valid for the full day but my understanding is that if you start a trip after 20:00 it will default to the epurse (if there is credit) because the system assumes you may only be making a single trip at that time and its trying to save you a days Rambler use.. The Rambler can still be used at this time but requires driver interaction..
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    True to a point...If you have validated a Rambler for that day then it will continue to validate to close of business....The 20:00 default only comes into play if the FIRST validation of the day is occuring after that time.

Cheers guys again :)

• Advertisement

afatbollix wrote: »

3 Day Freedom ticket or paper travel90 tickets available from airport or DB head office along with all other tickets.

If you are only using for 3 days and never again it wouldn't be worth the hassle of getting leap card.

The 3 day freedom ticket is a paper ticket (and is not on the LEAP card), and as it includes the hop-on-hop-off tour, airlink 747 and all normal buses it's very good value, especially if you've not been to Dublin before.

Probably the best option to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

The 3 Day Freedom can be purchased on Leap. 72h from first validated too.

Here's the full list of tickets.

wBoPDtz.gif

Stevek101 wrote: »
    The 3 Day Freedom can be purchased on Leap. 72h from first validated too.

Here's the full list of tickets.

wBoPDtz.gif

Where are you getting that list from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Where are you getting that list from?

When you go to buy a ticket online that is the list it gives you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,872 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It might be worth getting a normal adult card in the meantime while you're waiting - it has a €5 refundable deposit, so you can claim it back when you get your student card.

It will mean that your bus fares cap at €6.90 each day or €27.50 per week if you use it in the epurse pay-as-you-go mode.

Or a travel90, each journey is €2.75 provided the second bus is taken within 90 minutes of the first, so €5.50 per day.

Life ain't always empty.

Well to go back to the query in hand - if the individual concerned only plans on using the bus for three days on their visit (and not the two tram lines or the DART/Rail), then I'd just get the paper ticket - getting a LEAP card would be unnecessary.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Or a travel90, each journey is €2.75 provided the second bus is taken within 90 minutes of the first, so €5.50 per day.

That would equate to €27.50 for 5 days which equates to 7 days of travel using the purse.

If TimetoShine is doing this trip 5 days a week, then the LEAP card would be better value, as the other two days would be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

3 Day Freedom ticket or paper travel90 tickets available from airport or DB head office along with all other tickets.

If you are only using for 3 days and never again it wouldn't be worth the hassle of getting leap card.

I found a old Luas smart card the other day so they are sending me a leap card in the post to London for free. I visit Dublin every other month so it would be a good idea to get one and keep it. Just like most people who visit London keep there oyster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Interesting little development regarding the expansion of Leapcard on Dublin Bus.
    From May the "Own Brand" DB 5 & 30 Day Rambler product is being withdrawn and will only be available on Leapcard.

The "Interesting" bit (To ME) is the advice on the leaflet which tells the Leapcard user to hold their ticket to the reader for ONE Second....I went HMMMMMmmmmmmm...as I read this,as it kinda sets the technology back quite a bit...as the current standard being rolled out by TfL in London is 300 Miliseconds per Oyster Transaction...THREE times faster than our own (More advanced) version of contactless technology.

What's the story I wonder...? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement