Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing Students

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers

tell em all the answers for the Java modules are here.

Or the secrets behind Critical Thinking and Innovation.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

siblers wrote: »
    Or the secrets behind Critical Thinking and Innovation.
    You actually know those??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭lukin

Former computing student here; I suppose it must be a busy time for all of ye right now with projects etc.?

lukin wrote: »
    Former computing student here; I suppose it must be a busy time for all of ye right now with projects etc.?

Not for 3rd years we are all on placements at present

JFlah wrote: »
    Not for 3rd years we are all on placements at present

Nice to make a few quid. I hope ye are putting some away in the bank for when ye go back to college :)
    I suppose with the recession it was hard for everyone to get a placement? Or maybe not;IT may not have been as badly affected as other areas.

• Advertisement

Nice to make a few quid. I hope ye are putting some away in the bank for when ye go back to college :)
    I suppose with the recession it was hard for everyone to get a placement? Or maybe not;IT may not have been as badly affected as other areas.
    Unfortunately not all placements come with payment. I think some people found securing a placement difficult. There was a lot of students all looking for the same jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

If I remember correctly this year they were moving the work placement from fourth year to third year right? Then I suppose you have an overlap of third year and fourth year students looking for placement? Tough.

Opinicus wrote: »
    If I remember correctly this year they were moving the work placement from fourth year to third year right? Then I suppose you have an overlap of third year and fourth year students looking for placement? Tough.
    Yes both third and fourth years on placement at same time this year .. then 4th year re-structured for what are this years 3rd year students..... but details are sketchy.

Unfortunately not all placements come with payment. I think some people found securing a placement difficult. There was a lot of students all looking for the same jobs.

Can be difficult to work if you are not getting paid. If you have to pay for rent while you are there it would be almost impossible I would say. If you were living at home with your folks you might be able to manage it.
    If there are third and fourth years looking for placement at the same time then it would be hard for everyone to get a placement.
    I actually though the work placement module had been moved to third year some time ago?

Can be difficult to work if you are not getting paid. If you have to pay for rent while you are there it would be almost impossible I would say. If you were living at home with your folks you might be able to manage it.
    If there are third and fourth years looking for placement at the same time then it would be hard for everyone to get a placement.
    I actually though the work placement module had been moved to third year some time ago?

No this is the first year of it so is a bit of a cross over issue ... could make 4th year difficult too ... a lot of modules as well as project.

• Advertisement

Tearing my hair out for a project idea .. have loads of bits of ideas but really need something concrete now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Tearing my hair out for a project idea .. have loads of bits of ideas but really need something concrete now :(

Don't think a concrete idea is needed. If you have an idea, your supervisor may expand on it for you. Better to have something you're interested in or at least half interested instead of something being given to you which you may have no interest in. Bit unfair that there's only 2 weeks given from end of WP to think of a major project idea!

AntiRip wrote: »
    Don't think a concrete idea is needed. If you have an idea, your supervisor may expand on it for you. Better to have something you're interested in or at least half interested instead of something being given to you which you may have no interest in. Bit unfair that there's only 2 weeks given from end of WP to think of a major project idea!

Crazy stuff , could at least have told us at beginning of placement .

It's all too vague really, I haven't a clue what to come up with. Feel like i'm just gonna throw something together for the sake of it.

It's all too vague really, I haven't a clue what to come up with. Feel like i'm just gonna throw something together for the sake of it.
    I don't understand why like other institutions there is not a list of topics to pick from if you are struggling to come up with an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Ball of stuff here that might be project worthy ??

http://www.thoughtworks.com/radar/#/

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gbro800

How's the final project ideas going everyone? I've just thrown a few slides together. No idea of judging the scope or difficulty level, I'm going very wide scope and hopefully they can narrow it down for me...or point an exact direction... or something :)

gbro800 wrote: »
    How's the final project ideas going everyone? I've just thrown a few slides together. No idea of judging the scope or difficulty level, I'm going very wide scope and hopefully they can narrow it down for me...or point an exact direction... or something :)

I am literally tearing my hair out .. no idea of what I should be aiming for .. no slides as yet just a crappy word document.

I crave a little guidance!!

I am literally tearing my hair out .. no idea of what I should be aiming for .. no slides as yet just a crappy word document.

I crave a little guidance!!

I was going to do a Word doc but then they said slides so went with that, hopefully things will be clearer after Thursday, it'd be good to have an idea going early

gbro800 wrote: »
    I was going to do a Word doc but then they said slides so went with that, hopefully things will be clearer after Thursday, it'd be good to have an idea going early

Yeah would be good to get approval .. be able to tip away at research over the summer

• Advertisement

Haven't a clue what to do. Seen some fairly cool ideas from other colleges but I don't want to pitch for something that is gonna be crazy hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

My project is due tomorrow and I still have no clue what I'm doing :D I just follow the road where ever it leads me, hate pinning down ideas at the start because they will always change.

Also I hate turnitin, hurry the fck up will ya!!

This 4th year project pitching session is killing me at this stage.

I have an idea but no clue if it is appropriate has the right scope has too big a scope --- is even doable in the time frame.

I,m not even sure if ANY supervisor will have even a little expertise in my area which is worrying to say the least.

Also 3 minutes to pitch an idea that is going to take half a year of work !!

Seriously stressed out !

Finally found an idea to pitch but I've absolutely no idea what to put in the presentation slides . Not a hope will I be able to speak for 3 minutes either.

Finally found an idea to pitch but I've absolutely no idea what to put in the presentation slides . Not a hope will I be able to speak for 3 minutes either.

Wing it 3 minutes is'nt too long ---- I think

I'm similar, I know the area I want to study, and I've a project idea, but no clue about scope or difficulty level, I'm just going to tell them the direction I want to go and what I want to do and hopefully they can adjust the scope/difficulty levels to what they want... it mightn't be too bad, once you have an idea going they might guide us the right level

FITNESS APP!

FITNESS APP!

You're very excited about that app :)

How did it go for ye?

AntiRip wrote: »
    You're very excited about that app :)

How did it go for ye?

Was grand, was pretty relaxed. Only 13 of us (presuming everyone passes repeats) coming back for 4th year. 3 of the 13 pitched for a fitness app, was funny.

• Advertisement

Was grand, was pretty relaxed. Only 13 of us (presuming everyone passes repeats) coming back for 4th year. 3 of the 13 pitched for a fitness app, was funny.

Any problems with 3 of you doing fitness apps? I suppose if you are all using different technologies it shouldn't be a problem.

Thinking of an algorithm I suppose is the key issue?

Advertisement