Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I think something very important needs to be considered here. Cyclists have as much of a right to use the road as drivers do, and as such can use the road if and when they want to, even if a cycle path exists. Drivers being impatient is not a valid excuse to give out about cyclists either.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

This issue has nothing to do with pedestrians!!
    Jester252 wrote: »
    You're on the cycle path, if a car is approaching from behind they are nowhere near you, unless they have mounted the footpath.

That's the whole point, and you as a driver believing that makes my cycling on the bike lane all the more dangerous!!!

Having the bike placed along a footpath means that the car is still approaching from behind you. But now that the bike is removed from the road the driver will not consider you a road user. The driver now wants to turn left into any of the car parks in UL, the bike has not been observed as it is off the road, the bike can't see the car behind them. What happens next..............? Hence the safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

DaveR1 wrote: »
    This issue has nothing to do with pedestrians!!

That's the whole point, and you as a driver believing that makes my cycling on the bike lane all the more dangerous!!!

Having the bike placed along a footpath means that the car is still approaching from behind you.

If you are on the road the car is approaching you from behind or the cyclist ends up in a tight spot between the car and left hand side of the road.
    But now that the bike is removed from the road the driver will not consider you a road user. The driver now wants to turn left into any of the car parks in UL, the bike has not been observed as it is off the road, the bike can't see the car behind them. What happens next..............? Hence the safety issue.

Well right now cyclist and pedestrian are able to cross at all the location you mention as "unsafe". The only reason you can't do it is because you don't want to yield.

As the driver approaches he can see the crossing and any danger, while a good road user always checks his 6 periodical especially when approaching a junction. They will see each other and be able to make a call.

You don't seem to be a good road user. The fact that this is an issue to you suggest you don't have basic observation skills.

But now that the bike is on the the road and on the driver left hand side. The driver now wants to turn left into any of the car parks in UL, the bike has not been observed as it in the blind spot, the car can't see the bike behind him and the bike can't see the turn single. What happens next..............? Hence the safety issue.

If you are on the road the car is approaching you from behind or the cyclist ends up in a tight spot between the car and left hand side of the road.

Thats an example of dangerous driving, nothing to do with the cyclist. If the car has to put the bike "in a tight" spot then the driver is being reckless in their driving.
    Well right now cyclist and pedestrian are able to cross at all the location you mention as "unsafe". The only reason you can't do it is because you don't want to yield.

By this you mean there hasn't been a severe accident that you have heard of yet. I know 1 person who was involved in a minor accident with a car outside odeon cinema.
    A death occurred some years ago on the bike lane passing the new entrance to the castletroy park retirement village when it was a construction site. An example of what I have been saying
    As the driver approaches he can see the crossing and any danger, while a good road user always checks his 6 periodical especially when approaching a junction. They will see each other and be able to make a call.

Unless the bike is hidden the other side of a hedge as is the case for the turn into the staff car park across from MSSI construction site. And you want me to trust every driver to be "a good road user" so I can stay alive. I'd rather make sure they can't not see me and be on the road!
    You don't seem to be a good road user. The fact that this is an issue to you suggest you don't have basic observation skills.

On the contrary, I believe my observation skills are pretty good. I'd rather keep the testing of them, just to stay alive, to a minimum on my commute thouigh.
    But now that the bike is on the the road and on the driver left hand side. The driver now wants to turn left into any of the car parks in UL, the bike has not been observed as it in the blind spot, the car can't see the bike behind him and the bike can't see the turn single. What happens next..............? Hence the safety issue.

So a car begins overtaking a bike and then turns left half way through the overtaking manoeuvre when they forget the bike ever existed??

Thats an example of dangerous driving, nothing to do with the cyclist. If the car has to put the bike "in a tight" spot then the driver is being reckless in their driving.

Not if the cyclist undertook the car during slow traffic
    By this you mean there hasn't been a severe accident that you have heard of yet. I know 1 person who was involved in a minor accident with a car outside odeon cinema.
    A death occurred some years ago on the bike lane passing the new entrance to the castletroy park retirement village when it was a construction site. An example of what I have been saying

I mean that most cyclist and pedestrian can do this everyday you only have an issue because you don't want to yield.
    Unless the bike is hidden the other side of a hedge as is the case for the turn into the staff car park across from MSSI construction site. And you want me to trust every driver to be "a good road user" so I can stay alive. I'd rather make sure they can't not see me and be on the road!

It's a waist high hedge, you not hidden. You can be seen and you can see.

On the contrary, I believe my observation skills are pretty good. I'd rather keep the testing of them, just to stay alive, to a minimum on my commute thouigh.

For someone who claims to be observant than why are you having a freak out over a basic crossing that children can navigate.

So a car begins overtaking a bike and then turns left half way through the overtaking manoeuvre when they forget the bike ever existed??

Car slows down to take left turn, cyclist continues along his path and undertakes the car. Your more likely to get hit with a left hook on the road than at on a cycle path.

• Advertisement

Car slows down to take left turn, cyclist continues along his path and undertakes the car. Your more likely to get hit with a left hook on the road than at on a cycle path.

Yes more likely if you go around like a kamikaze cyclist. That is an example dangerous cycling, not lack of road safety. If we all went around in our cars, bikes, walking attempting such things then we can only expect the end result.
    However, if you pay attention and don't do stupid things, then yes its more safe on the road.

What about the bike lane past spar at castletroy park hotel? Lots of cars in and out, always lots of traffic in the evening towards groody roundabout. Yet the bike lane runs up the inside of the traffic. Is this a safe bike lane?? Or is it promoting cyclists to take part in the dangerous activity of undertaking slow moving traffic at a junction?? Would you consider this good bike lane design, and more importantly a safe bike lane?

I am still looking for a reason the cycle on the bike lane and not on the road??

Yes more likely if you go around like a kamikaze cyclist. That is an example dangerous cycling, not lack of road safety. If we all went around in our cars, bikes, walking attempting such things then we can only expect the end result.
    However, if you pay attention and don't do stupid things, then yes its more safe on the road.

What about the bike lane past spar at castletroy park hotel? Lots of cars in and out, always lots of traffic in the evening towards groody roundabout. Yet the bike lane runs up the inside of the traffic. Is this a safe bike lane?? Or is it promoting cyclists to take part in the dangerous activity of undertaking slow moving traffic at a junction?? Would you consider this good bike lane design, and more importantly a safe bike lane?

I am still looking for a reason the cycle on the bike lane and not on the road??

Here where your logic fall, the cycle path at the Groody on apart of the foot path after Spar and every minor junction the cycle lane has right of way. The bike lane makes driver more aware of cyclist on the inside. How do you take that road? Do you line up behind the cars in traffic or filter into head on traffic?
    I'm still looking for a reason why the bike lanes in UL are dangerous apart from your're lack of observation and refusal to yield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Any place open to eat today on campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

seachto7 wrote: »
    Any place open to eat today on campus?

Scholars til 5

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Anyone want to do my assignments for me ??

Seriously why is there always so many more assignments in the second semester! Hate this!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Why on earth did my German lecturer make the oral exam bigger than the actual exam!? Twenty percent and I've been studying non-stop every day bwcause they decided to put every lecture topic we've ever f***ing done on the thing..
    More stress than doin normal exams, great!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

I'd be jumping for joy if most of the exam was in that form! Maybe its to see if you can actually speak the language?

Du hast die macht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

It's actually only 15%, got an updated e-mail yesterday! So I'm studying the whole course for 15%...The exam is 50% and we don't have as much as in this oral.

And I know I can't speak the language so this will not be a fun week!

Jedoch, danke schon!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 perthree

I walked into the library four different times today and got asked for I.D once?

Sigh!

What's the craic with id? Is it to stop thieves going in, or was it to stop school kids going in?
    I saw the beggars around last week, Roma types.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

I always assumed it was Leaving certs but they stopped a few scruffy looking lads in trackies there today (I was one of them!) while those better dressed were waved through, might be something to do with thievery alright!

Beggars around where?

They were outside the library. I was inside, but they looked like they were trying to sell something to people, or else it was a note asking for money.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

They were outside the library. I was inside, but they looked like they were trying to sell something to people, or else it was a note asking for money.

Most likely a note. They've been around a good bit this semester.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Most likely a note. They've been around a good bit this semester.

Got pulled over by a group today, kinda feel special that they picked me out of the 10 other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭marvin_spazz

what happened in the schuman earlier today? somebody get taken away in ambulance. hope they ok

• Advertisement

Got pulled over by a group today, kinda feel special that they picked me out of the 10 other people.

You looked the most gullible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 gillmelly

Nothing wrong with UL if you get on with your work and sports

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

what happened in the schuman earlier today? somebody get taken away in ambulance. hope they ok
    She died in hospital. I don't know any more than.that

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Anyone have any photo's of the queue outside the library this morning? I'm having difficulty believing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Chavways wrote: »
    Anyone have any photo's of the queue outside the library this morning? I'm having difficulty believing it.

Why what happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

YFlyer wrote: »
    Why what happened?

A queue of people from the door of the library down to the Engineering Research Building at 8am waiting for the library to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Chavways wrote: »
    A queue of people from the door of the library down to the Engineering Research Building at 8am waiting for the library to open.

They had to get in to drop off their books on a desk and then head home for shower and breakfast. Or maybe bed :eek:

Didn't seem that busy in there at 1 pm. Room I am in, which I will not disclose the whereabouts of, has been quiet enough all day. ;)

Way less distractions than the library as well, be that noise or the female kind. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Didn't seem that busy in there at 1 pm. Room I am in, which I will not disclose the whereabouts of, has been quiet enough all day. ;)

Way less distractions than the library as well, be that noise or the female kind. :(

Ditto the room im in :D

Advertisement