Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BRIAN MAYS GUITAR

• 29-05-2013 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

what do all you folks think of brian mays home made electric guitar it took him almost two years to complete.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nigeldinho

Almost bought a replica one myself a few years ago. Wish I did now instead of the jazz guitar I bought. Always loved his tone, and would love to re-create a similar one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

A bit of genius!! That and the Deacy amp John Deacon made. What a band!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

His father made it from the fireplace I've heard..... That true?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Yes, plus motorbike valve springs and saddlebag bars amongst other things.

Also the trebley orchestral guitar sound which is all over the early albums is made using the Deacy amp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I've coveted that guitar since I was a kid!
    I love these forums, I've only just found them tbh.
    Some of the topics are gas.
    I came in here looking for a Queen or Pink Floyd thread and found one about my favourite guitar lol.

Long live Queen...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

The tremolo arm is a modified knitting needle if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Dark Stanley.

He uses a silver sixpence for a plectrum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

I had a replica made by Burns. They're a very different instrument. Every part of it wants to feedback but in a very musical way. The scale is quite short too so bends are super easy.

I miss it but if you're coming from a Les Paul it's a lot to take on board. You would also benefit from emulating his amps (or buying them!) as this is where the the other half of the technology magic comes from. This is the closest I got!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MG100

Apparently it was built from an acoustic fireplace. Most fireplace coverters use electric fireplaces (e.g. Dimplex) to make electric guitars. That's where the unique tone comes from. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

While May sounds great with it. The guitar or the tone was never something I would want myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I recall Steve Vai saying he met Dr Brian May and he played it but could not get the same tone from it, probably did'nt use a silver Sixpence though.

Advertisement