Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadway - Recommendations/Tickets

Options
  • 04-04-2014 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi all,

After years of longing to go to Broadway, I'm finally getting to go around May/June. I was just wondering if any one who has been, or knows someone who has been, can recommend the cheapest way to get good quality tickets? I've read about TKS supposedly being the cheapest option in Broadway, but I know from visiting the West End numerous times in London, that TKS isn't the cheapest (maybe this is only for London?).

Also, show recommendations? I've seen Wicked, Phantom, Lion King, Grease, Billy Elliot.. thinking of Les Mis?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

Ah, so jealous!

The TKTS booth will become your best friends. Big shows like the Lion King and Wicked won't ever be on sale there, but pretty much everything else will be. There are two sales times per day, for the matinees and the evening shows. They have an app which if you can, you should definitely download. That way, when you're in the queue and can't see the screen you can have a look at what's available.

While I haven't seen it I would Les Mis would be a good bet, based solely on he fact that the lead is Ramin Karimloo who is an excellent performer. I saw a touring production of it in Boston a few years ago and while it was great, I was a little put off by the actors speaking and singing with American accents!

Mamma Mia is a pretty safe bet if you like Abba music at all. I also saw Rock of Ages when I was there which was different but really, really fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Skip TKTS...it's precious time out of a NY trip. Head instead to broadwaybox.com where you can pre-book discounted tickets.

My top three shows on Broadway at the moment are Newsies, Book of Mormon and Pippin. BB has tickets for Newsies & Pippin. Rogers & Hammerstein's Cinderella won a load of Tony awards and is also available. For a great fun show experience you might also consider Rock of Ages.

Les Miserables is better in London than NY IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Hi all,

After years of longing to go to Broadway, I'm finally getting to go around May/June. I was just wondering if any one who has been, or knows someone who has been, can recommend the cheapest way to get good quality tickets? I've read about TKS supposedly being the cheapest option in Broadway, but I know from visiting the West End numerous times in London, that TKS isn't the cheapest (maybe this is only for London?).

Also, show recommendations? I've seen Wicked, Phantom, Lion King, Grease, Billy Elliot.. thinking of Les Mis?

:)

I got tickets for Wicked and the Lion King from attraction tickets direct. Seats were awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 30 psychoniamh

Thanks for all the advice - I went wanting to see Wicked but tickets were so expensive, we didn't plan the trip very well so I guess that was to be expected!! I know people say that you should see Les Mis in the West End instead - but, oh my word, that's what we chose to see - it was mindblowing. Ramin Karimloo playing Valjean was the strongest lead I have seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

FYI for future readers of this thread - my wife and I saw Pippin on Broadway in NYC this year and it was quite disappointing. The plot is very thin and not a thrilling performance compared with Broadway-caliber productions. Most of the (young) audience loved it. I found out that Pippin is the most performed play in high schools. That is probably why my wife liked it - for nostalgia reasons.

The West End in London has some great productions including Billy Elliot, and The Book of Mormon was amazing but seems to sell out way in advance. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels recently started too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

ScottSF wrote: »
    FYI for future readers of this thread - my wife and I saw Pippin on Broadway in NYC this year and it was quite disappointing. The plot is very thin and not a thrilling performance compared with Broadway-caliber productions. Most of the (young) audience loved it. I found out that Pippin is the most performed play in high schools. That is probably why my wife liked it - for nostalgia reasons.

The West End in London has some great productions including Billy Elliot, and The Book of Mormon was amazing but seems to sell out way in advance. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels recently started too.

I disagree re Pippin...it's a stunning production of a show that makes you think. It's not all glitz and glamour and happy endings. It's not a well known show which is why it tends not to be staged professionally very often, backers want guarantees not gambles.

Both London shows you mention are great. Billy Elliot doesn't sell out these days, it's at TKTS most days though? It opened ten years ago. BoM is only 18 months into the London run so tickets are still in demand and need to be booked early. Coming soon is Memphis, I fully expect this to be the next big show in the West End. Opens October afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Coming soon is Memphis, I fully expect this to be the next big show in the West End. Opens October afaik.
    I saw Memphis in NYC a few years ago and it was terrific. High energy, good story, and powerful soulful performances. Hopefully the London production will be of the same high quality.

Advertisement