Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

disability allowance - living with parents

• 06-04-2014 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm a 25 year old single mother currently receiving one parent family allowance. I'm looking to apply for disability allowance but my child and I live at home with my parents. Does anyone know will my parents income be included in the means test? Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

aaod85 wrote: »
    I'm a 25 year old single mother currently receiving one parent family allowance. I'm looking to apply for disability allowance but my child and I live at home with my parents. Does anyone know will my parents income be included in the means test? Any advice greatly appreciated

Hiya,

Very similar situation myself, though no kids. I was on regular old jobseekers allowance aka the dole for years before I went ahead and signed up for Disability Allowance (DA) instead. It wasn't the easiest, but my local dole office were happy to help me so long as I was able to turn up at some very specific times of day on some very specific days of the week. Something about the word hatch just screams dejection. First stop for you IMO would be citizens information. You'll likely have to make 3 trips in total. 1 to find out what you need, 1 to give them what they want and do the paperwork and a third to nail everything down. I'd be rather impressed if you got it all done in 1 trip. Also, start making a list of names of the people who work at your local social welfare office. Such knowledge greases the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aaod85

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply. I have heard it's not the easiest and most people get refused and have to appeal 2 or even 3 times. I'll go to the citizens information office asap. So much paperwork with everything now but hopefully I'll do it all in 1 trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tomtom926a

hello everyone. i am about to apply for disability allowance and would like to know as much as possible so i will know what to expect. i am a 22 year old male with middle back,lower back,hip area,thigh,knee,ankle pain,muscle spasms,weakness in right leg and balance issues. i have had all these issues for 9 months and have been in chronic pain for 9 months. i have had x-rays and an MRI done with no reason showing why i am in so much pain. i am on 10 tablets a day between anti-inflammatory,nerve,blood pressure and a codeine based med im not sure if naming meds is allowed here so i wont. i have become depressed and despite my best efforts to remain on my own two feet i now require two crutches to walk. i have taken so many different meds that i can no longer eat a normal amount of food and even a spoonful of food causes sharp stabbing pains in my stomach. some nights the back pain is so bad i cry myself to sleep.my sleep is messed up because i cant get comfy. i cant sit upright for to long cant lie down for to long can just about make it to my front door without grabbing onto something for support. i also suffer from bad knee cramps and neck muscle twitches. even doing a few dishes at the sink is a challenge for me now. i cant work because of this pain and am not entitled to JSA because of it. i have no PRSI contributions. what should i send in with my application. i have been seeing a sports injury therapist and a physiotherapist. iv had the same doctor throughout all this. i had to drop out of college in the first month because i couldn't do the practical work. i currently have no income,my savings have run out and i will have to move back home with family. do you guys think i have a claim that would be accepted. i am in constant mind numbing pain 24/7 its ruined my social life the only time i go out now is when i go doctors or corner shop or pharmacy to pick up a script. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement