Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Krav Maga - Is it feasable/worth it?

• 11-03-2014 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm close to the north/south border and I've wanted to try Krav Maga for a while now. Closest I've got to any MA experience is a little Jiu Jitsu in my teens.

I've looked up clubs on both sides in Dublin and Belfast (which seem to be the only ones that I can find close enough to me.) Would really like something practical that would improve my fitness and discipline in general.

Just a few questions, some that may seem silly, but hopefully you can help.

> Is it worth traveling on a bus/train a few times a week to train or am I being a little overambitious?

>I have considered DVDs and learning from home. Is this basically all theory and no practice, in a manner of speaking?

>Would someone like myself being of Southern descent be welcome in a club in Belfast? I haven't really been there much and I'm sure there are still some tense areas.

Hoping you can help in any way possible. Thanks ! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If you live close to the border then you're not of southern descent are you? unless your parents are from munster or something

http://ifsni.com/location.php

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

> Is it worth traveling on a bus/train a few times a week to train or am I being a little overambitious?

Maybe do the trip once or twice and decide for yourself if it's feasible. I'd suggest you also try out a few clubs that are more local to you as there is a much better chance of you sticking with something that...

a) Doesn't cost a fortune to get to
    b) Doesn't take up hours in travel

>I have considered DVDs and learning from home. Is this basically all theory and no practice, in a manner of speaking?

If you want to learn how to actually fight then DVD's on their own would be completely useless. Full contact sparring against fully resisting opponents is essential. Keep that in mind while attending whichever club you end up at. People actually trying to hit each other (not just slow motion choreography) at some point of the class is vital.

Best of luck with whatever you try. If you let us know where you're based people can recommend clubs that are local to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

There is a club in Dundalk now.

https://www.facebook.com/DundalkKravMaga?fref=ts

I can't vouch for the effectiveness of the training provided. If nothing else it will get you a workout and you will learn something. Travelling for hours on a train or a bus to attend any class is going to make it very difficult to maintain from a time and finance perspective.

See what's local to you, whatever that may be, try it and build from there. If you don't like it nothing major is lost. Krav Maga is fun and good for fitness and I really enjoy the training. However it is far from a silver bullet as regards self defence. It's been said here and in other forums on the internet that the most important things are the quality, the intensity and the reality of the training for you to progress.

If you go to one session a week because of time and financial restraints it's better than nothing; you won't progress much though.

You can do a lot on your own to build power and fitness. Maybe find a local forum to spar and trade technique. Most importantly make sure you find something you enjoy.

By the way the DVDs are fine as a reference for proper technique but are no substitute and IMHO would be useless for actually learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hurpederp

Krav is silly do MMA instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

hurpederp wrote: »
    Krav is silly do MMA instead

This isn't helpful at all. Give it a rest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement