Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MSc in Applied Software Technology-Ericsson

• 19-02-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Dalmighty

Hi,

Can anyone tell me information about this, their marketing it as a 1 year masters and internship and a permanent job on successful completion?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭paul9mm

Dalmighty wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone tell me information about this, their marketing it as a 1 year masters and internship and a permanent job on successful completion?

There is a huge thread on this somewhere on Boards.ie , as a lot of people were asking specifics last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

paul9mm wrote: »
    There is a huge thread on this somewhere on Boards.ie , as a lot of people were asking specifics last year.

The thread was removed by request due to apparent NDA breaches.

To answer OP, it's a one year taught masters, followed by a three month internship. If Ericsson want to keep you after the internship, then you get a permanent job with a 2 year contract. If they don't want to keep you on, you get the keep your masters (I'm pretty sure that's the case anyway, assuming you passed. Would be pretty ****ty otherwise), and seek employment elsewhere.

Did not see that the thread had been removed, sorry about confusion.
    Your snap-shot of the process sounded spot-on from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Noisin

Actually looking into this as well.
    Could someone that has already done this course advise me on the course.
    Is it very difficult?
    Has anyone completed the course and are now working with Ecrissons?
    Currently studying a higher diploma in Software, very tough, intense course, just would love to hear from someone that has done the Ecrissons Masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I was talking to their rep at CareerZoo. Apparently you apply like any other job and go to interview. If they think you're suitable they pay for the course and give you some money for living expenses (€150 a week, the rep wasn't too clear on this)

I wouldn't imagine it's more difficult than any other Masters, though I'd be skeptical of the course content. Does it just teach you how to just work in Ericsson or are the skills broadly applicable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Noisin

I was talking to their rep at CareerZoo. Apparently you apply like any other job
    and go to interview. If they think you're suitable they pay for the course and
    give you some money for living expenses (€150 a week, the rep wasn't too clear
    on this)
    Ya was there also. Met the rep, not very informative or helpful. He couldn't even advise on my current qualifications in relation to current job prospects in Ecrissons, seemed pointless having him on the stand at a Career's Information Day!!!.
    Received an email today from the course organiser so trying to research the course more.
    I wouldn't imagine it's more difficult than any other Masters, though I'd be
    skeptical of the course content. Does it just teach you how to just work in
    Ericsson or are the skills broadly applicable

Ya would be concerned is this just an Ericsson's training Course or how broad is it. Will they give everyone a job. The Higher diploma is a conversion course, a level 8 in one year and that is extremely tough and I had a course in IT prior to getting on the Higher Diploma.
    Need to talk to someone who is actually doing the course, got great feedback/advice from boards.ie on the course I'm currently studying from people who had just completed the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MoleRat

Hey, I am currently on the course. Please feel free to PM me as I found the thread that was taken down extremely useful when I was thinking about applying/preparing for interviews.
    Yes, there is a guaranteed job for everyone that goes on the course. But after the internship if Ericsson feel you're not suited to the company they are not obliged to give you a permanent job.
    You get a bursary for doing it split into 3 installments across the the year. about ~2k each installment.
    There are ppl with non-technical backgrounds on the course - one plasterer. you need to pass the interview tests (which test to see if you're suited to an IT job) and be prepared to work hard.

It is a tough course. I wont lie. but if you're interested, dont be put off by that. I remember being worried about that but its a short year and a little hard work wont kill you. You learn a huge amount. the learning curve is steep and at times I wonder is part of the test just not packing it in!!
    As far as exposure- you learn about: databases, java, javascript, maths, distributed systems and security, ruby, bash, linux and networking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hopeful33

After getting accepted on to the course, getting on to the masters proper after the 12 weeks "preparation part" is not guaranteed.

if you work at it I dont see why you wouldnt get a place. If you're a complete messer, yeah, they'll ask you to leave. but they're quite understanding if you've made an effort and you dont have background in it...

Hi, quick questions on behalf of a friend.
    -When is the deadline for application into the MSc (she thinks May 1st?)
    -Is the application via online or via postal application?
    -What is the payment plan (someone mentioned 3*€2k = €6k total, -seems low for 12 months intense work?)

• Advertisement

Couldnt tell you re application deadlines/process - cant remember and that info is quite available if you look for it I would imagine. its just shy of 6k -5.8 i think. Pretty decent given you get a very good masters with all relevant technologies taught to you by industry professionals - which by itself I think is worth ~10k

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Shotgun Sister

Not sure about the deadlines, but I'd hurry up if I were your friend.

They did a round of aptitude tests several weeks ago and are doing interviews this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭rayself

MoleRat wrote: »
    Hey, I am currently on the course. Please feel free to PM me as I found the thread that was taken down extremely useful when I was thinking about applying/preparing for interviews.
    Yes, there is a guaranteed job for everyone that goes on the course. But after the internship if Ericsson feel you're not suited to the company they are not obliged to give you a permanent job.
    You get a bursary for doing it split into 3 installments across the the year. about ~2k each installment.
    There are ppl with non-technical backgrounds on the course - one plasterer. you need to pass the interview tests (which test to see if you're suited to an IT job) and be prepared to work hard.

It is a tough course. I wont lie. but if you're interested, dont be put off by that. I remember being worried about that but its a short year and a little hard work wont kill you. You learn a huge amount. the learning curve is steep and at times I wonder is part of the test just not packing it in!!
    As far as exposure- you learn about: databases, java, javascript, maths, distributed systems and security, ruby, bash, linux and networking.

Hi could you give me some information regarding the interview with ericsson and the course thanks. I tried to send you a message but as a new member it would not let me

I'll PM you now

MoleRat wrote: »
    I'll PM you now

Not sure if you can PM me, I got a message saying messages are not active until I make 50 posts

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rondogrins

Has anyone gone to an interview for this yet?
    Or MoleRat (or rayself) would you mind PM'ing a general overview of what the interview was like?
    I'm curious as to how many interviewers, and was the emphasis on talking about yourself and your motivations to work for Ericsson or were there a lot of questions relating to your skillset (if so, was it specific or general).
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kianjennings

rondogrins wrote: »
    Has anyone gone to an interview for this yet?
    Or MoleRat (or rayself) would you mind PM'ing a general overview of what the interview was like?
    I'm curious as to how many interviewers, and was the emphasis on talking about yourself and your motivations to work for Ericsson or were there a lot of questions relating to your skillset (if so, was it specific or general).
    Thanks.

There was only one interviewer and for me it was mainly going through my cv and then being asked questions on the skills I had mentioned. Then at the end asking if I had any questions about the company and what they do in Athlone. The questions were mainly basic knowledge about the subject, nothing too complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Shotgun Sister

The interview is just between you and one interviewer.

It's not very in-depth. They'll look at your CV, ask you to talk about any previous experience in the world of work, what kinds of programming you've done (if any) but there's nothing technical in there at all.

Prepare for it as you would any other interview.

Yeah, I had a similar experience. Just one interviewer, normally one of the managers, and it started with questions regarding my experience - nothing very taxing. It then lead on to general conversation. Some of the lads in my class told me they ended up talking football for a good part of it! I think, after having passed the aptitude test its to get a feel for your personality and to make sure you are not very awkward/difficult to work with.
    Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GetOnTheFloor

Does anyone know what the company is like to work for generally? This is the 4th year the course has been running if I am not mistaken, are many of the original class still working there? What is the starting salary, do they pay in line with industry average with 1 year, 2 year experience ? Sorry for all the questions! Need answers before I make my decision, the interviewer didn't mention salary and I didn't ask which I regret now!

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what the company is like to work for generally? This is the 4th year the course has been running if I am not mistaken, are many of the original class still working there? What is the starting salary, do they pay in line with industry average with 1 year, 2 year experience ? Sorry for all the questions! Need answers before I make my decision, the interviewer didn't mention salary and I didn't ask which I regret now!

-I've no idea what they are like to work for

-I tried doing some LinkedIn "detective work" to see if there were people from the original course still there, but couldn't find any, only the ones still under the 2 year contract

- In terms of salary, another thread said it was 29K for the first 2 years if they keep you on. So if you are entering through the MSc route, then I *assume* this is non negotiable.

If you don't mind me asking, have you been offered a place since your interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

rondogrins wrote: »
    -I've no idea what they are like to work for

-I tried doing some LinkedIn "detective work" to see if there were people from the original course still there, but couldn't find any, only the ones still under the 2 year contract

- In terms of salary, another thread said it was 29K for the first 2 years if they keep you on. So if you are entering through the MSc route, then I *assume* this is non negotiable.

If you don't mind me asking, have you been offered a place since your interview?

The first course only finished in 2012. Just finished the 3rd year in DIT and the second in AIT is still on going. There are still people from the first group there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Draka

Just got offered a place starting in Athlone mid-Sept. Is anyone else starting this year? Just wondering if people in the course tend to talk first and organise living together or if they usually just rent in one of the apartments beside the college.

Draka wrote: »
    Just got offered a place starting in Athlone mid-Sept. Is anyone else starting this year? Just wondering if people in the course tend to talk first and organise living together or if they usually just rent in one of the apartments beside the college.

Hi Draka congrats on the offer I got offered a place in Athlone as well starting 15th September, I got accommodation last week right across the road from AIT like 2 minute walk to college, its only €65 a week including internet, bins and sky tv I think there is a couple of rooms left if your interested I can give you the landlords number

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭gojony

I'll be going to athlone too :) So if anyone is looking to share accommodation or knows athlone then please give me a message cause I'm not sure where I'll be staying yet.

Btw, the other longer thread is in the DIT section. I can't post a link because I'm a new user.

gojony wrote: »
    I'll be going to athlone too :) So if anyone is looking to share accommodation or knows athlone then please give me a message cause I'm not sure where I'll be staying yet.

Hi send me a PM and ill give you the details of where ill be staying, it be good if 3 of us got in same place as I hear there is a lot of teamwork on this course

To all you that have accepted places, I am just wondering, is the 3 month "prep" course still running? Was there any discussion about this before you accepted your place?
    Thanks.

Afaik, the prep course is now mandatory and starts in September if you are going to Athlone, and July if you are going to DIT

• Advertisement

Draka wrote: »
    Afaik, the prep course is now mandatory and starts in September if you are going to Athlone, and July if you are going to DIT

Thanks, I got confused, I thought AIT started in July and DIT started September.

Advertisement