Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Local elections 2014

• 04-11-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

The FFers have selected their local elections candidates for the Ballina electoral area over the weekend. They are sitting councillors Annie Mai Reape, Jimmy Maloney and Johnnie O’Malley, along with Michael Loftus from Crossmolina, Michael Smith from Swinford and Eamon Moore from Killala.

FG dream team to be decided and to include sitting concillors Seamus Weir, Ja Munnelly, John O'Hara and Eddie Staunton. Joe Mellett is in this amended electoral area as well.

It is interesting to note that the strength of FG lies in the South and East of the county and this hindered FG in the north of the county. It was assumed that MM or Ja Munnelly would secure the chairmanship of the county council in 2009 to provide a base for the general election in 2011. This never materialised and what would have been interesting is MM appointment as Chairman given that there has ony been one female chair in the past.

Nevertheless she did secure a seat agin the odds. Will Winters, Egan and McLoughlin throw there hats in to the ring?

What are the issues that the candidates will be facing?

For me;
    1. N26 Upgrade
    2. Employment
    3. Infrastructure - roads, lighting, hedge rows
    4. Policing
    5. Managing cutbacks across a number of areas - education, health etc.
    6. Accountability
    I reckon SF will run at least 2 candidates if not 3. Not sure if there will be a Ballina based one or not?

There will be a number of independents given that the TC has 3-4 namely Cllrs Ginty, Clarke & Kelly. A big ask for them to secure enough votes.

Some heavy hitters (& hitting :D) in there to take the 6 seats and there will be some dented egos for the losers.

Who will they be and what are the key issues?

Time will tell......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Perhaps the schism in Mayo FG is reflected by the defence of Pee Flynn's mass reading by Mulherin. This relates to Pee reading scripture at mass - fighting the good fight - after being found taking 50k of FF cash by the Mahon tribunal.

I wonder what Inda, Mickey and Johnno make of this treason?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

finisklin wrote: »
    Perhaps the schism in Mayo FG is reflected by the defence of Pee Flynn's mass reading by Mulherin. This relates to Pee reading scripture at mass - fighting the good fight - after being found taking 50k of FF cash by the Mahon tribunal.

I wonder what Inda, Mickey and Johnno reckons of this treason?

Well she knows that FG are fubar in the elections so she is trying to side with Pee on this and hope that some some FF's will go to her side maybe???
    Hardly surprised, they are all snakes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Michellle is probably supporting P Flynn on right wing Catholic religious grounds

Any word on who the SF candidates are? The selection convention was on this afternoon.

Looks like there was a few casualties at the FG selection convention in Castlebar yesterday. Inda's right hand man didn't make it - Ger Deere. Padraic Corcoran saw the writing on the wall and withdrew. Priceless.

Some fairly bruised egos there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Looks like there was a few casualties at the FG selection convention in Castlebar yesterday. Inda's right hand man didn't make it - Ger Deere. Padraic Corcoran saw the writing on the wall and withdrew. Priceless.

Some fairly bruised egos there!

Wow, GD will be well peed off as will Enda! Corcoran was more a "blow in" though?

Corcoran is not quite a blow in - Lahardane, but not from Castlebar.

The 4 sitting councillors were automatic choices. The last spot was always going to be hard filled. 3 into 1 doesn't go. Corcoran knew this.

I'm sure Inda will find some other way of accomodating Ger's ambitions. Perhaps a senate spot after the next GE? :D

The 4 sitting councillors were automatic choices. The last spot was always going to be hard filled. 3 into 1 doesn't go. Corcoran knew this.

I'm sure Inda will find some other way of accomodating Ger's ambitions. Perhaps a senate spot after the next GE? :D

Ah Lahardane is a blow in, anything outside Turlough/Breaffy is a blow in.

I am sure he will fitted. Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Sorry... so who got the last position?

Dudda wrote: »
    Sorry... so who got the last position?

Brendan Heneghan....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

[IMG][/img]SinnFeacuteincandidates2014_zps10795f9e.jpg

Gerry Murray to contest the Claremorris area, Cllr. Rose Conway-Walsh to contest the West Mayo area, Cllr. Thérése Ruane to contest the Castlebar Area and John Sheehan to contest the Ballina area.

Ger Deere has been a hardworking councillor.

Hope he gets on the ticket.

Delegates might have voted for others on the grounds that Enda will look after him

FG to select West Mayo candidates in Westport this afternoon (Sunday)

finegael.jpg

Fine Gael candidates for the West Mayo electoral area of Mayo County Council will be chosen at a convention in Westport today(Sunday).

West Mayo is a new municipal district and takes in most of the old electoral areas of Belmullet and Westport.

There are seven seats to be filled in West Mayo in the 2014 local elections, and competition is likely to be intense.

Among the sitting Fine Gael candidates going forward for nomination to the party ticket tomorrow are Cllrs Teresa McGuire, Gerry Coyle, Christy Hyland, Austin Francis O’Malley and current cathaoirleach of Mayo County Council, Johnno O’Malley.

Cllr Ollie Gannon told Midwest Radio this weekend that following 15 years representing the party, he would not be seeking a nomination. He said the size of the West Mayo meant he would be unable to contest it effectively and balance work commitments.

In recent weeks, Fine Gael Cllrs Myles Staunton, Peter Flynn and Michael McLaughlin have also announced they would not be running in 2014.
    Indications so far are that 5 Fine Gael candidates will be put on the ticket for the West Mayo area.

Galway West TD Sean Kyne will chair today's convention, which takes place at the Knockranny Hotel in Westport from 3.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Any word who got the West mayo nomination. I think Teresa McGuire and christy Hyland was the only decision to be made

Three sitting councillors were selected Austen Francis O’Malley, the present Cathaoirleach of MCC – Johno O’Malley and Gerry Coyle.They’ll be joined on the ballot paper by Achill based Breege Grealis and Westport town councillor Teresa McGuire.

Strong team. but it is a huge area for those who are elected to serve.

Sorry that Westport Town Council is being abolished.

It was very effective imho in working with others to develope Westport as an industrial and tourist centre - a lot of jobs there for people from all over the area.

Doubt if the County COuncllors will be able to focus on the town's development in the same effective way

nuac wrote: »
    Doubt if the County COuncllors will be able to focus on the town's development in the same effective way

Same for Castlebar and Ballina.

What happens the mayoralty, is that abolished?

Who gets to the wear the chains in the new system?

Same for Castlebar and Ballina.

What happens the mayoralty, is that abolished?

Who gets to the wear the chains in the new system?

Don't know.

town councils did good work in all their towns.

"Area municipal councils" or what ever will not be an adequate replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

I am not sure about this new system. Obviously the bigger towns Castlebar/Ballina will be paying the biggest money towards the county budget but how much of that will stay in he towns? Will our towns have less money than before? Spending money on footpaths and lights out in Ballintubber.
    I hope Castlebar keeps its Mayor. I think it is important to have a town representative. It would be like abolishing the president.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

I hope Castlebar keeps its Mayor. I think it is important to have a town representative. It would be like abolishing the president.

Not Really. The Mayor is normally selected by the sitting town Councillors, usually along party lines. Hardly a selection process for a President. If towns want a real Mayor they should run a proper vote from the town electorate.

• Advertisement

The FG team for the Ballina municipal area is now confirmed. Munnelly, O'Hara Cruise and Staunton secured the 4 spots.

Joe Mellett got the bullet and that is a major blow to his ego. Seamus Weir saw the writing on the wall and pulled the rip cord and is going to parachute in as a independent candidate.

Winters didn't make it which was surprising given that there are no native Ballina people in the line up.

Given the priorities in the town (N26 development, salmon centre, Mary Robinson centre, monasteries of the moy, sports development and the further develoment of the JCC etc.) it's disappointing that FG don't have a townie on board. This may be to FFs political advantage. Time will tell.

I thought they would have run 5 candidates all the same.

Anybody at the convention? How do Joe Mellett take this democratic decision?

I wonder what Inda, Mickey and Johnno make of this treason?[/QUOTE]

How is Flynn taking the €50K for himself = treason?

The FG team for the Ballina municipal area is now confirmed. Munnelly, O'Hara Cruise and Staunton secured the 4 spots.

Joe Mellett got the bullet and that is a major blow to his ego. Seamus Weir saw the writing on the wall and pulled the rip cord and is going to parachute in as a independent candidate.

Winters didn't make it which was surprising given that there are no native Ballina people in the line up.

Given the priorities in the town (N26 development, salmon centre, Mary Robinson centre, monasteries of the moy, sports development and the further develoment of the JCC etc.) it's disappointing that FG don't have a townie on board. This may be to FFs political advantage. Time will tell.

I thought they would have run 5 candidates all the same.

Anybody at the convention? How do Joe Mellett take this democratic decision?

Joe Mellette was a longtime and hard working councillor. Surprised that an important town such as Swinford has nobody standing for FG. They may rue this as Michael Smyth went close the last time and now has a clear run

Also surprised that there are no FG Ballina town candidates.

It shows the idiocy of Hogans abolishment of Town Councils. The three TCs in Mayo did good work. There is a difference in urban and rural needs. Anyone sitting in a Town Council debate and comparing with a County Counil debate would realise the difference.

nuac wrote: »

I wonder what Inda, Mickey and Johnno make of this treason?[/QUOTE]

How is Flynn taking the €50K for himself = treason?

I never said Flynn's cash grab was treason.....I was referring to Mulherin's support of Pee being devout. This was in effect two fingers to her FG colleagues who had to put up with Pee being Mayo's top dog in the earlier part of their careers.

It is rare to see a FGer praise or support a FFers in post bailout Ireland.

This alas is the game of politics as Mulherin knows her days are numbered and that Inda and Ringer have done her no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

what of the Independents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

Cllr Mellett's support for the campaigners who want to rip up the Collooney-Athenry railway line and replace it with a cycle path may not have helped his cause.

Cllr Mellett's support for the campaigners who want to rip up the Collooney-Athenry railway line and replace it with a cycle path may not have helped his cause.

Which is the polar opposite to his local colleague on the council, SFs Gerry Murray. I'm sure the latter will be sad to see his erstwhile political colleague depart into the good night. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Id love to get a good flush out of the council this time. Get rid of some of the old backward do nothings like frank durcan and michael kilcoyne, all they do is complain. Like to see some positive youth attitude who actually care and with the right ideas like Lisa Chambers. I think Harry Barret is very good as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Any truth in the rumour that a West of Ireland politician is sitting on the fence regarding the pylons issue due to the fact that a family member has got a nice fat job with Eirgrid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Id love to get a good flush out of the council this time. Get rid of some of the old backward do nothings like frank durcan and michael kilcoyne, all they do is complain. Like to see some positive youth attitude who actually care and with the right ideas like Lisa Chambers. I think Harry Barret is very good as well :)
    you want lisa chambers over michael kilcoyne will you get away out of that.I dont think she will get in this time either and if she does it ill be very close

Advertisement